Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thank you SO much for what you have done for our Club Gus!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Am I in a minority of one, when I say to Gus, thank you SO much for all that you have done for us?

Yes I know that everything all turned sour in the end, and that's a great shame, but it's important to remember that nothing lasts for ever, good or bad, and for the majority of his three and a half year tenure he did a magnificent job. When he came to us, we were skirting with relegation into League two, but within a season and a half he had completely transformed the team. We were suddenly playing some magnificent football, and achieving promotion into the Championship by winning League One. Two seasons after that we damn nearly found ourselves in the promised land of the Premier League. Something l'm sure the vast majority of us could only dream of!.

So thank you Gus, for all the wonderful memories. I for one will always remember you fondly, and I hope that you, as well as this great Club of ours, both go on to achieve our ambitions.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
You're spot on. He's an Albion legend in my eyes. Some of the abuse such as '****' and 'SCUM' on twitter was a joke. I don't think, regardless of what happened (we still only know about 5% of the story maximum and never will know e whole truth) ANYONE should call a manager who took us from 21st in Lg 1 to 4th in the Champs these names. It's pathetic and comes across as so ungrateful and perhaps dare i say it a bit JCL like - were these people regulars at Withdean in the magnificent Champions season under Gus?!

Sad way to end, but an absolute legend for what he's done (despite his clear faults and at times stubbon personality).

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
Minority of at least two, I believe that Gus has changed the club for the better, regardless of the events leading up to him going i will always be grateful for the bloody exciting times we had when he was Manager. Watched the Swansea game on ITV4 last night, weird feeling watching him, almost felt a bit like seeing an ex girlfriend that you still have feelings for. Really hope Gus gets a decent Managers job, if he ever comes back to the Amex with another team, I will happily applaud him.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Not in a minority perhaps but I can't agree.

Yes he did well but was really given every opportunity. He took over at a time when our future was assured and we walked a very crap L1. He then can pretty well design all the footballing side of the Amex and TB gives him a great budget (despite his denial) and with the "Amex effect" he could hardly fail. Last season we stuttered too much in the first half season much like we did in the first season, lacking creativity, pace and finishing. With the arrival of Ulloa and Upson we suddenly looked a lot better but it was a pretty poor Championship and arguably we underperformed.

He didn't show a lot of interest in anything other than himself and he had an over inflated opinion of himself.

As far as I'm concerned he was in the right place at the right time and any one of numerous other capable Maangers could have "achieved" the same

J2 BHA

NSC Patron
Jul 28, 2004
Two words...move on. End of.

Ps I happen to agree with the OP but moved on some weeks ago

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
He did a good job and I thank him for that, but no manager in the club's history has had the financial backing that he had and I'm sure there are many good managers out there who would have got us promoted and survived in the championship given the same resources. Maybe they wouldn't have got us to the play offs, but everything at the club is now geared up for championship football and whoever was in charge would have had a decent championship side. GP does of course deserve credit for his achievements because they did surpass expectations, but in reality the success was built on TB's millions.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He brought us some sublime football and three great seasons, for that I'll happily thank him. I'll leave it there on this thread.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Yes Gus did instill a passing game to our club but it doesn't come close to what Roberto Martinez did for Swansea. Who I must add is a complete gentleman of football.

Gus was here at the right time, did a good job, wouldn’t change a thing, but Oscar is going to be on another level altogether.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not in a minority perhaps but I can't agree.

Yes he did well but was really given every opportunity. He took over at a time when our future was assured and we walked a very crap L1. He then can pretty well design all the footballing side of the Amex and TB gives him a great budget (despite his denial) and with the "Amex effect" he could hardly fail. Last season we stuttered too much in the first half season much like we did in the first season, lacking creativity, pace and finishing. With the arrival of Ulloa and Upson we suddenly looked a lot better but it was a pretty poor Championship and arguably we underperformed.

He didn't show a lot of interest in anything other than himself and he had an over inflated opinion of himself.

As far as I'm concerned he was in the right place at the right time and any one of numerous other capable Maangers could have "achieved" the same

Outstanding piece of history revisionism and myopia.

I'm sure your ingratitude will stand you in good stead.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Well, if you didn't re-write history, I wouldn't accuse you of being a revisionist.

If you didn't dismiss Gus' achievements - on the back of your history revision - as those that many others could have achieved, I wouldn't call you myopic.

It was a view I held throughout and had lots of agreement and disagreement .. no rights or wrongs imo

Not sure why I should be ungrateful. The principal architect of our recovery was/is TB, he gave Poyet the tools to do the job and he did a pretty good job, but no better than many others could, I wasn't intending to be dismissive just putting it into context. Indeed if anyone is ungrateful I would say that was Poyet from what I can piece together

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
He brought us some sublime football and three great seasons, for that I'll happily thank him. I'll leave it there on this thread.

I'll not get too misty eyed.
I'm not a Gus hater, I hope his legacy of passing football will live on and get better.
Whilst the football Gus aspired to was evident on many occasions I also saw us play a lot of shite both home and away.
Many have mentioned the lack of a plan B when we went behind.
It wasn't all beautiful.
This season I'd trade some of the draws for more wins and a few defeats if we go for it.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I'll not get too misty eyed.
I'm not a Gus hater, I hope his legacy of passing football will live on and get better.
Whilst the football Gus aspired to was evident on many occasions I also saw us play a lot of shite both home and away.
Many have mentioned the lack of a plan B when we went behind.
It wasn't all beautiful.
This season I'd trade some of the draws for more wins and a few defeats if we go for it.

Agree it wasn't all beautiful, there was a good reason for most of our games being shown last on the Football League Show.

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
I think plenty of people said thanks whilst he was in charge. Now he's gone what's the point apart from "look at me, I'm special, I'll say thanks well after he's gone"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here