Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Other human existence someone far away in another galaxy

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
This has been baffling me for some time.

Scientists often point to extra terrestrial life somewhere deep within the universe as if its almost a guarantee (or we'd be naive to refute these claims at least)

I often wonder however whether there could also be human life somewhere on another planet far far away.

Is this even possible? Could humans have evolved on a similar planet to earth within a different solar system or would the events need to mirror that on earth over the past 4.54 billion years for this to happen.

For example one could argue if the dinosaurs never became extinct we probably wouldn't be here anyway.

Can two different evolutionary paths ultimately lead to the same species albeit by getting there in different ways.

Any greater minds than me wish to shed some light onto the matter?

Discuss

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Just to clarify. When I say human life I mean homosapiens in there current form

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As a stoned 18 or 19 year old living on a Spanish island I used to spend hours looking at the stars and mulling over the likelihood of aliens inspired by Erik Von Daniken's book Chariot to the Gods. Great days :rolleyes:

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
I'm very sure 'human-like' beings exist elsewhere in the universe. They would never be exactly like us. We are the result of earth's own particular order and chaos spanning back billions of years from when the atoms that make us were just gas clouds floating in space.

What you are basically, deep, deep down, far, far in, is simply the fabric and structure of existence itself.
- Alan Watts

Everybody is fundamentally, the ultimate reality. Not god in the political kingly sense, but god in the sense of being the self – the deep down basic whatever there is. And you’re all that… only you’re pretending you’re not.” -Alan Watts

As a stoned 18 or 19 year old living on a Spanish island I used to spend hours looking at the stars and mulling over the likelihood of aliens inspired by Erik Von Daniken's book Chariot to the Gods. Great days :rolleyes:

Von Daniken suffered a bloody nose in a Horizon programme many moons ago. Trouble occurred when indigenous Peruvians showed you can split giant rocks with straight lines instead of using lasers, purely by judicious strike with a flint.

Must be great views of the Heavens in certain parts of Spain.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
A statistician would say Yes, it's mathematically certain that there will be an exact replica of us somewhere out in the Universe.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
A statistician would say Yes, it's mathematically certain that there will be an exact replica of us somewhere out in the Universe.

the number of events to be repeated exactly to reproduce homosapiens is obsurd. its infinty to the power of infinity against. i think its actually outright impossible, as replicating every event wouldnt be possible unless the other planet were in the same place as earth.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
the number of events to be repeated exactly to reproduce homosapiens is obsurd. its infinty to the power of infinity against. i think its actually outright impossible, as replicating every event wouldnt be possible unless the other planet were in the same place as earth.

There are other planets in the same place (in relation to their suns) as the Earth. And then there are planets nearer/further from their smaller/larger suns. Etc etc.
The Universe is so large that it rather dwarfs infinity (yeah, I know that's impossible) Why couldn't there be another just like us?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
you need to think the impact and significance of "replicating every event". that could be the same amount of an iron compound, or a comet crashing with a particular amino acid (some theories to the starting of life in the first place), or the collision of an cosmic ray with a early bacteria causing a particular mutation, or the same climate at the same time in history to make the Homo genus to evolve in the same way. and everything else around. a particularly savage or relativly more intelligent predator, or a key food become poisonous and it might be game over. its far more than having a planet the right distance from the right type of star.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
cat on the moon.jpg

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Even on earth there are examples of two completely different species, that look indistinguishable from one another but are not the same species living in different hemispheres, they are organisms that have found the same solutions to the same set of survival problems. Fascinating. So in theory this could be a possibility if extrapolated across the universe. So it's possible a similar species to homosapiens has evolved elsewhere but highly unlikely.

If you think about the massive variation across all species on earth, bright colored birds, flower stamens, gills, wings, beaks, legs, eyes and on ad infinitum the simple fact is these variations are simply solutions to the exact same problems: Self preservation, nourishment and pro-creation.

If you imagine all the different ways life on earth has solved these exact same problems it is highly unlikely a species from another planet would evolve in the same way a human has.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Doubtful exactly the same as us, but somewhere in the infinite universe there must be a similar type of being.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia

Scientists often point to extra terrestrial life somewhere deep within the universe as if its almost a guarantee (or we'd be naive to refute these claims at least)

I often wonder however whether there could also be human life somewhere on another planet far far away.

Is this even possible? Could humans have evolved on a similar planet to earth within a different solar system or would the events need to mirror that on earth over the past 4.54 billion years for this to happen.

For example one could argue if the dinosaurs never became extinct we probably wouldn't be here anyway.

Can two different evolutionary paths ultimately lead to the same species albeit by getting there in different ways.

Discuss

You need to get out more or find a hobby.

Discuss

No chance even a distance of 45 miles produces two completely different life forms:whistle:

It's not enough to imagine similar configurations of matter being replicated in different locations. You also need to take account of time.

The question is whether other life exists elsewhere NOW.

The answer may be ... less likely than some folk think.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here