Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
opposite Preston Park
only it seems the Argus insist on calling it the former:(

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
not many real Brightonians on here then?

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
As garden manager there, it is called the rockery or rock garden but was built on the site of a rookery. Infact the rookery is still evident in the tall trees at the back and rooks and crows still nest there.

I have a facebook page if you want to join....lets you know what's happening there, what's in flower and any thing rock garden based.

https://www.facebook.com/PrestonRockGarden

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
My family always referred to it as the Rookery.

Hope this helps.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Going back to the fifties and sixties, it was always called the Rock Gardens.

thats when my mum used to go there for sandwiches and a flash of tea
and the guy who was always there in some sort of uniform(we assumed he was one of the park keepers) assured us it was the rookery and I am sure at one time there was a notice there to that effect
whatever it was or is called it is a great place

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I have just been on one of the Brighton history sites
there was a small wood on the site of the rockery known as the rookery
apparently the rockery was built in 1935
call it what you like as I said its a great place

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
It's always been the Rockery for me Glas. I think the Rookery is the bit with the flats on it to the side. Poor old Jevs, he's the person that does all the work on it, so he ought to know. All he gets is hassle from a few Brighton Web sites about what it's called. Not many tell him how great it looks.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Many's the foreign student I managed to take up there after walking back from the Suite in the 70's... Sigh.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
It's always been the Rockery for me Glas. I think the Rookery is the bit with the flats on it to the side. Poor old Jevs, he's the person that does all the work on it, so he ought to know. All he gets is hassle from a few Brighton Web sites about what it's called. Not many tell him how great it looks.

Thanks for that mate. It's been a very trying year for us with the pond having to have a lot more work than we thought. Our beloved local ar$e rag then ripped us to shreds...they're never one to let the facts get in the way of a good story !!!!

But we've come through it and the new pond looks superb. Lots of colour around in the garden too.

As for me doing all the work there.....well i am the only full time member of staff but i rely on volunteers, community payback, work placements etc and they are the real workers, i just organise them !!

Im lucky enough to have a fantastic manager too who also loves the garden.

what a great page

Thanks for that, glad you like it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here