Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kenny Sansom, alcoholic sleeping on park bench

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I always knew you were a Daily Mail reader! :lolol:

He's got family in Brighton, wonder if he could turn to them?

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Away from football my fondest memory of Kenny was when he appeared on Sky Sports after England had qualified for a World Cup wearing a TShirt he has clearly made himself.

Emblazoned across the front were the words 'England a there'.

Hope thing work out for him. A good player.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
That's very sad. Alcohol man, it can be a killer.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That is really very sad, he was a quality player

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Blimey, £1,200 a week at the peak of his career. Surely the PFA should be doing something here? There was a programme on 5Live a while back about the problems faced by retiring pros, and Clark Carlisle I think was defending accusations that they basically did bugger all.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I always knew you were a Daily Mail reader! :lolol:

He's got family in Brighton, wonder if he could turn to them?

Hmm, not sure Brighton is the best place to come to if you have either an alcohol or drug problem!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Blimey, £1,200 a week at the peak of his career. Surely the PFA should be doing something here? There was a programme on 5Live a while back about the problems faced by retiring pros, and Clark Carlisle I think was defending accusations that they basically did bugger all.

Playing devil's advocate here: if you're a nurse and you retire, become an alcoholic and lose your home, will the relevant union help you out?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It really should be an issue that agencies in the game take responsibility for. The game is awash with money and nobody wants to see anyone end up on a park bench. Too many ex pros have ended up drinking their lives away.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Cracking player in his day, Probably our best full back ever.

Gambling and booze is a bad combination.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Sad to hear. Alcohol can be so very destructive.

Also sad to think that an Arsenal fan doesn't wander past, spot him sleeping rough, and offer him a bed for the night.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
The Sun has published a moving video appeal to him from his sister - behind its paywall.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Playing devil's advocate here: if you're a nurse and you retire, become an alcoholic and lose your home, will the relevant union help you out?

Fair point, but I think the PFA is different because a lot of their work is to help players deal with their careers being over at a relatively young age. They act to help players move on and therefore deal with them AFTER they've finished playing.

It's not unique to football, it's often the case with sporting unions. Certainly the case in the NFL, where the NFLPA work very closely with former players, and how they deal with the problem they encounter after leaving the game.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It really should be an issue that agencies in the game take responsibility for. The game is awash with money and nobody wants to see anyone end up on a park bench. Too many ex pros have ended up drinking their lives away.

Footballers probably have access to far more support than most of us do. Premier League clubs employ people to cater for their every whim: if Sergio Aguero wakes up at 3am to find he can't get SkySports 3, the club fixer will come round and sort it out, or call the relevant experts. A footballer admits to an alcohol problem and the club will frequently pay for them to undergo very expensive private treatment, rather than have them endure the whims and delays of the NHS. They all have agents who work for them too, as well as friends & family.

I'm not saying help isn't required, or that they aren't in a pressured environment, far from it, but I don't necessarily believe the game is responsible for their decisions or their subsequent treatment, any more than anybody's employer or union is.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Very sad to see someone hit the bottom, whatever their occupation! he obviously desperately needs help and I hope he finds it!

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Really sad to see.

I went to one of the last exec tours at Highbury and w was the ex pro showing us around. A true gent and very nice guy. He saw the Albion pin badge on my suit jacket and was very complimentary about the club and how it was nice to see real football fans

I really hope he manages to sort himself out

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here