Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do YOU think that we have enough in the kitty to make one or two big signings

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
before the window closes?

I have no idea how much we have paid in signing on fees or wages but if we do have the same budget as last year I can't help feeling that there is still a fairly hefty wedge left to spend

Will we be paying biggish fees for a LB or striker or will we be taking some high wage earner on a season's loan and contributing a decent proportion of the wages?

Are we going to make a couple of signings before the window closes that won't initially be that impressive to most of us?

I reckon we are going to sign a quality left back, I have no idea who and Bridges shoes will be nigh on impossible to fill. I also think that we may sign a season long loan striker

Maybe that's it until the January window???

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I think a latin left back and a young premiership striker on loan for a season. Looking forward to young players developing and coming through this year.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
There won't be a great deal extra in the coffers with FFP looming. We should be looking to utilise the loan market, particularly our contacts in the London area.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Reckon we'll get 3 in, more if we lose anyone.

Transfer deadline day could be tricky if we get big bids for Bridcutt, Buckley, Barnes, Orlandi, KLL etc.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We need one replacement for Dicker/Vicente/Harley. An attacking central midfield playmaker who can get 10 goals a season, make stuff happen, take set pieces and become the creative flair heartbeat of the team. Probably needs to be Spanish too. Add to that a LB and loan to cover Hoskins/CMS and we'll be done.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
We need one replacement for Dicker/Vicente/Harley. An attacking central midfield playmaker who can get 10 goals a season, make stuff happen, take set pieces and become the creative flair heartbeat of the team. Probably needs to be Spanish too. Add to that a LB and loan to cover Hoskins/CMS and we'll be done.

So that's Spanish Dave, then? An extra striker is needed, completely agree, but I've got a feeling we may go in with our two current left-backs.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
So that's Spanish Dave, then? An extra striker is needed, completely agree, but I've got a feeling we may go in with our two current left-backs.

Not for me. When Buckley is injured or if we decide to play a right sided midfielder instead of a winger, S-Dave will be on the right. He can fill the central position (as can Orlandi) but I think we need more cover. Also, I've not seen enough from JFC to suggest he can perform this role week in/week out in a Championship leading side.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Having been told by Paul Barber we have roughly the same budget as last season, we should have a LARGE chunk of wages/transfer money left, considering all the players released.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Surely a good signing doesn't have to be a big signing.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I think we'll see a bit more business once the Premier League sides have sorted out their squads. Expect one or two to land just before deadline day. And no, I have no inside information whatsoever.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
When Barber and Bloom mentioned transfer budget being roughly the same as last year, did they mean overall budget i.e the budget for paying players now or did they mean transfer budget i.e we can splash out on another Ulloa?

I would think its the former and that we only have a bit left in the kitty. We have let go quite a few players, but most on low wages (except Vicente). But brought in Augstien who may be on bigger wages and a few others.

I would be very surprsied if we splashed out £2m on a player

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
When Barber and Bloom mentioned transfer budget being roughly the same as last year, did they mean overall budget i.e the budget for paying players now or did they mean transfer budget i.e we can splash out on another Ulloa?

I would think its the former and that we only have a bit left in the kitty. We have let go quite a few players, but most on low wages (except Vicente). But brought in Augstien who may be on bigger wages and a few others.

I would be very surprsied if we splashed out £2m on a player

Dobbie and Harley were both supposedly on big wages, and along with our part on Bridge that would add up to quite a lot.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I wouldn't imagine our budget is not as big as everyone thinks. The mount of playing and non playing staff who have been released or "left by mutual consent" is quite a lot and that does not come cheap.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Until the transfer window closes, there is still the possibility of losing players as well as getting new ones. Hope we can hang onto what we have. If the budget is the same, we surely have something left in the kitty as we would appear to have trimmed our squad so far.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Until the transfer window closes, there is still the possibility of losing players as well as getting new ones. Hope we can hang onto what we have. If the budget is the same, we surely have something left in the kitty as we would appear to have trimmed our squad so far.

I am sure I'll be in a very small minority but I think I'd rather lose Liam than Ashley, not that I want to lose either.

*putstinhaton*

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Given that Barber has said the playing budget this year is roughly the same then I'd say we should have a decent amount for 1 or 2 players.

Slightly off topic but if we lost £8m from last accounts and we've subsequently saved money on back office wages, new catering contract, Amex sponsorship, Travel subsidy and the 5k extra seats which have pretty much gone every game then we surely must be greatly improved in that area unless our playing budget has risen dramatically.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here