Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We really must get behind Oscar

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Seeing as the media don't give us much chance of finishing anywhere near the top Oscar will need as much encouragement from the fans as possible. I feel a bit sorry for him really with the media doing us down and the Gus effect still lingering our input will be more important than ever.:thumbsup:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I'm happy the media have been writing us off for promotion it keeps expectations and hype at a sensible level, personally I reckon Oscar will do a very good job here.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
That'll be the same media that saw Blackburn, Bolton and Wolves as favourites to go straight back up last season?

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
i am not being negative but i agree with the media i reckon we will finish mid table and if we finish top 6 it will be a bonus looking at our squad and we still need a really big name for us to be taken serious and we need 3 or 4 players .

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That'll be the same media that saw Blackburn, Bolton and Wolves as favourites to go straight back up last season?

Largely Premier-League-obsessed gibbons who barely know where Oakwell or Huish Park are: they get asked by the editor to write a token piece on the Football League, so go for the clubs they've recently heard of, and about whom they can spout their Premier League knowledge.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Seeing as the media don't give us much chance of finishing anywhere near the top Oscar will need as much encouragement from the fans as possible. I feel a bit sorry for him really with the media doing us down and the Gus effect still lingering our input will be more important than ever.:thumbsup:

I doubt Oscar takes much stock in any of that. He should have plenty of confidence based on his pedigree, both playing and managing.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
How about some Spanish style singing. We can sing this all season, starting on Saturday

[yt]R2jCM0lcKKU[/yt]

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It just goes to show how the outside world viewed Gus Poyet as the main reason we finished as high as we did.

I don't understand why the likes of Bolton and Forest seem to be regarded as shoe-ins for the play-offs or better, while we're barely getting a mention as Top 6. This is all the more bizarre given our 2nd place in the "2nd Half Of The Season" table, when our first team really took shape.

It's the same team minus Bridge, but with an upgrade from Hammond to Agustien. How does that translate to shite like Leicester hopping above us, or Leeds being a hairs-breadth behind us?

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
It just goes to show how the outside world viewed Gus Poyet as the main reason we finished as high as we did.

I don't understand why the likes of Bolton and Forest seem to be regarded as shoe-ins for the play-offs or better, while we're barely getting a mention as Top 6. This is all the more bizarre given our 2nd place in the "2nd Half Of The Season" table, when our first team really took shape.

It's the same team minus Bridge, but with an upgrade from Hammond to Agustien. How does that translate to shite like Leicester hopping above us, or Leeds being a hairs-breadth behind us?

Complete agree with this no sure why we are not being tipped to finish in the top 6. Looking forward to the season and seeing what Oscar is made of - he certainly has my support 100%

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

To be fair, he was quite a big reason. We were relegation candidates in League ONE when he took over. Some people's attitude towards Poyet's achievements on here is ****ing ridiculous.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
To be fair, he was quite a big reason. We were relegation candidates in League ONE when he took over. Some people's attitude towards Poyet's achievements on here is ****ing ridiculous.

I think most Albion fans would agree that Gus did a fantastic job but I'd give a big thumbs up to TB for giving him the stadium and the tools to do it. Gus is not the only manager who could have got us challenging imo. The style may have been different but I think we'd have still been challenging.

You make it sound like Gus was the only person who could have improved our position as much. I'd suggest Adkins may well have done equally as good a job as would a number of other managers. That is not taking away from Gus' achievements I am just suggesting that you have a slightly blinkered view.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think most Albion fans would agree that Gus did a fantastic job but I'd give a big thumbs up to TB for giving him the stadium and the tools to do it. Gus is not the only manager who could have got us challenging imo. The style may have been different but I think we'd have still been challenging.

Agreed but who knows, and most reports suggest he overachieved on his budget year in, year out. It's hard to say other managers would've also overachieved without seeing.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
How about some Spanish style singing. We can sing this all season, starting on Saturday

I bet we can sing it far, far faster, and finish it sooner.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
i am not being negative but i agree with the media i reckon we will finish mid table and if we finish top 6 it will be a bonus looking at our squad and we still need a really big name for us to be taken serious and we need 3 or 4 players .

We are just Wayne Bridge short of the squad that was TOP in the form table from January to end of season. Why has that suddenly become a mid table side??

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He massively overachieved in the League One winning season. Saints' players were on double, triple ours, and their budget was at least double. We battered that league on about the 7th best budget. Hard to say how many other managers would've done that.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He massively overachieved in the League One winning season. Saints' players were on double, triple ours, and their budget was at least double. We battered that league on about the 7th best budget. Hard to say how many other managers would've done that.

I think that this what makes Oscar's appointment so interesting. We really are totally clueless about how we will do and he will undoubtably be compared to Gus from the off, not really fair as Gus at least had half a season to make an impact at a much lower level. the bar has been set very high for Oscar.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Gus would have been off like a shot this season had we started well and then a Premiership job came knocking. He said as much on numerous occasions. What we have now is more long term and I think bodes well, might not be this season but we should be there or there abouts.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I thought i'd boo Oscar from the off.

Of course we will all be behind him and the team. Sod the media, We rarely get the credit we deserve and then when we did,we blew it (Playoffs we became peoples favourites) lets stick to what we do best and stay the underdogs.

31 August will be a better place to judge but I think we have a good enough top 10 team and if we can turn a few draws into wins unlike last season a to 3/4 team. I do think we will miss Bridge down the left hand side, but we still might sign someone, as I said in a previous thread if we get through the first couple of months and we are in the top 10 then we can build from there once we are settled in a bit more. its a marathon not a sprint and I think we will finish strongly again this season.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Of course we must.

And back him after a possible poor result v Leeds.

After that we've got more winnable ones v Newport, Derby and Birmingham, and hopefully will have more of the new signings in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here