Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moving to Seaford or Rye ... comments?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
So we're planning on moving probably early next year as a kind of pre retirement thing. Need to downsize to raise enough cash and from trawling around on line these two places like sort of OK. Prices are pretty good, so we don't end up having to give up too much in the way of houses.

We're going over there in a couple of weeks for a more detailed look but just wondered what those living in the area think. I know they are miles apart but it's just the way the properties seem to come out, we're not tied to any particular area.

So if you've got good or bad views would be great to hear as well as any other potential places to have a look in that part of the world (doesn't need to be on coast)

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I grew up in Seaford and lived there until I was 26. It is generally a middle class town with few social problems. It was, for me, a wonderful place to live. Proximity to the sea, Seaford Head and the south downs immediately behind the town was fantastic. What it lacked was the excitement of bigger towns like Eastbourne (Eastbourne exciting, I know.....) or Brighton. However being situated almost bang in the middle of the two was great. The shops are pleasant enough although there are probably too many estate agents and charity shops now. It was a lovely, quiet place to live and I still miss it even 20 years later. I absolutely love Rye, it's one of the best towns in Sussex imo except it is relatively far away from the Brighton area where I would wish to be.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Strange you should mention Seaford. The wife and l are currently rattling around in a large 4 bed detached house, and we too are thinking of downsizing before the money runs out lol. Until recently East Sussex was Indian territory to me, (leastwise east of the Amex), but earlier in the year we started exploring and came across Seaford. It seems quite a pleasant little town, nestling down on the coast, nice prom, pleasant country inns dotted about, easyish access to the Amex by train. I can think of far worse places to live.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Strange you should mention Seaford. The wife and l are currently rattling around in a large 4 bed detached house, and we too are thinking of downsizing before the money runs out lol. Until recently East Sussex was Indian territory to me, (leastwise east of the Amex), but earlier in the year we started exploring and came across Seaford. It seems quite a pleasant little town, nestling down on the coast, nice prom, pleasant country inns dotted about, easyish access to the Amex by train. I can think of far worse places to live.

...all correct.

Seasider

Jul 9, 2003
Maidenhead
Seaford is really impressive my parents are recently retired and have moved there having lived in five ways for 30+ years. Their house is marginally smaller but detached and has a much larger garden than in Brighton, the house is really nice and has released a lot of money they had tied up in the old house so they can enjoy retirement. They are really happy there, its quiet but not too quiet, has a reasonable amount of shops and very easy to get to Brighton by public transport (the night bus actually runs every night which has proved handy once or twice when been staying with them and gone out with mates in Brighton). Personally I enjoy the fact that there are two decent gold courses in walking distance I can be out on the downs within 5/10mins.

Would highly recommend you can get a lot of house for your money and by no means as detached from the rest of sussex as I thought it would be!

Direct train to Falmer from Seaford. Direct train from Rye doesn't stop at Falmer I believe unless Southern make an exception on match days.

I like both towns - Seaford is a popular destination for the younger Pottings as there is a nice prom to skate/scooter or cycle along and a wise poster on this very forum used to go there a lot as a child for the reason that "there is absolutely nowhere to spend money on the seafront"!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
A large percentage of you pros/cons must rest in travel links - Getting to and from the rest of Sussex from Rye by road is awful.

Oh and you do realise Rye isn't on the coast

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
seaford is a fantastic place to live - excellent road and public transport links to the amex, brighton, eastbourne, gatwick, london and not forgetting ferry to france

great location for outstanding countryside and coast

property prices very good - you get a lot of space for your money

local shops are fine with easy access to bigger shops/shopping areas

go for it !! :rave:

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
Seaford is really impressive my parents are recently retired and have moved there having lived in five ways for 30+ years. Their house is marginally smaller but detached and has a much larger garden than in Brighton, the house is really nice and has released a lot of money they had tied up in the old house so they can enjoy retirement. They are really happy there, its quiet but not too quiet, has a reasonable amount of shops and very easy to get to Brighton by public transport (the night bus actually runs every night which has proved handy once or twice when been staying with them and gone out with mates in Brighton). Personally I enjoy the fact that there are two decent gold courses in walking distance I can be out on the downs within 5/10mins.

Would highly recommend you can get a lot of house for your money and by no means as detached from the rest of sussex as I thought it would be!

... please let me into the secret - where exactly are these 2 decent gold courses :ohmy:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Rye might be nice to visit but there's not much to do, getting anywhere else is very difficult as it's middle of no-where with crap roads. Really nice small village just before you get there up on hill, beautiful but zero to do. Is the one where Spike Milligan is buried (want to say Winchelsea)?

Rye has some very rough areas and interesting characters too! it's not like the picture postcard, visit for an afternoon type place if you live there!

Very nice sports centre lol and Camber Sands is a nice beach but invaded by chavs on nice days. Good place nearby for kite-surfing...... very well known in that community.

Whole place doesn't appeal to me but maybe you want the quiet life and guess if you don't have to travel anywhere it is OK. Don't expect to get to Brighton by car in MUCH less than 90 mins though!

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
I lived in Seaford for 20 years, enjoyed being close to Downs and sea, although occasional sea mist and the westerlies hit harder than they do in Eastbourne where I now live.
Good connections to Brighton, Falmer and Eastbourne, latter only 15 minutes drive for decent shops (Seaford does have Morrison's however) and theatre.
Rye is nice but basically in the middle of nowhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here