Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FourFourTwo Season Preview

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Got us down to finish 11. Below Derby, Leicester, Wigan, Brum but above Watford and QPR

Top 2 of Reading and Bolton with Leeds (!), Charlton (!), Forest and Ipswich in the play offs.
Yeovil, Doncaster and Millwall down.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
twentyfour7football have us finishing 16th ... just have to prove them wrong I guess.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Got us down to finish 11. Below Derby, Leicester, Wigan, Brum but above Watford and QPR

Top 2 of Reading and Bolton with Leeds (!), Charlton (!), Forest and Ipswich in the play offs.
Yeovil, Doncaster and Millwall down.

Have they taken an E or something? Anyway who reads 442 these days, bring back the greatest football mag The Onion Bag.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Completely disagree about Birmingham, Watford and QPR. Charlton will improve, but not by that much. Birmingham could struggle IMHO.

As for us, who knows? No left back to speak of

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Everyone rates Bolton to go up due to their 2nd half of season form, yet no one applies that to us.

Also good to see someone being realistic about QPR - they're Portsmouth waiting to happen all over again - bad start and Harry is out of there, in comes Appleton or Kean or someone similar and down the table they go.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
Reading alot of pre season previews and most have us down as finishing mid table at best... where is the logic? And Charlton to finish in the playoffs alongside Ipswich, do behave.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Completely disagree about Birmingham, Watford and QPR. Charlton will improve, but not by that much. Birmingham could struggle IMHO.

As for us, who knows? No left back to speak of

We have 2 competent left backs.

The left back situation is being completely overhyped.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We have 2 competent left backs.

The left back situation is being completely overhyped.

Neither are proven whatsoever at this level. The fact Calde played a fair bit at LB in pre-season suggests Oscar doesn't have that much faith in them either.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Charlton and Ipswich in the play-offs? Really?!

I really can't see either us or Watford doing as badly compared to last season as is being suggested there.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I trust Calde to do a job - in spite of his misplaced passback the other night - so our leftback hole is not completely unfilled. I bloody hope we get the out and out left-footer there with a piercable pouch of flair in his boots very soon, but i don't think that without him we are lost. Every season a team needs change and development to take steps forward, and, whilst Solly and Ince and JFC have pressed themselves forwards, it seems clear that we need a couple more players in to offer something new. Agustien looks cool and classy, so that's a start, but a couple more players in at least, that speak of a new man being in charge, are needed to make this another season to remember.
I hope we combine our tough-to-beat-ness with a touch of speedier 2-touch flair to see us through an incredibly tough and competitive league.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I agree with their top 2 of Bolton and Reading. I disagree about QPR and Watford, think they will both be up there.

As for us, I think 11th is a fair call with basically the same first team as the end of last season but a young manager who has never managed in this country before.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
I agree with their top 2 of Bolton and Reading. I disagree about QPR and Watford, think they will both be up there.

As for us, I think 11th is a fair call with basically the same first team as the end of last season but a young manager who has never managed in this country before.

Why does everyone rate Bolton to go up, being from the area etc I know a fair bit. Let me put it this way, Stu Holden is crippled again and Chung Yong Lee has never recovered form. They have Knight (the worst cb of all time) as captain and Beckford who couldn't hit a barn door up front. Pratley is useless and Eagles is too consumed in his own ego to give a monkeys. Its over rated hype that I've seen year on year...

Reading... they are not as good as everyone thinks they are! Don't forget the first half of their Championship season, useless. And they hardly gave a good defence of their Premiership status

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Reading alot of pre season previews and most have us down as finishing mid table at best... where is the logic? And Charlton to finish in the playoffs alongside Ipswich, do behave.

Yep, don't understand it myself. As soon as Gus leaves we are a supposedly different team, looks like the media have got it in for us.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Everyone rates Bolton to go up due to their 2nd half of season form, yet no one applies that to us.

Also good to see someone being realistic about QPR - they're Portsmouth waiting to happen all over again - bad start and Harry is out of there, in comes Appleton or Kean or someone similar and down the table they go.

Or McLaren. I do wonder how much thought/expertise actually goes into the production of these things. I'd be amazed if we finish as low as 11th. Or below Birmingham

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Oh dear, don't they know that we'll be going up as f***ing champions? We have to as we will be singing it all season.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Why does everyone rate Bolton to go up, being from the area etc I know a fair bit. Let me put it this way, Stu Holden is crippled again and Chung Yong Lee has never recovered form. They have Knight (the worst cb of all time) as captain and Beckford who couldn't hit a barn door up front. Pratley is useless and Eagles is too consumed in his own ego to give a monkeys. Its over rated hype that I've seen year on year...

Reading... they are not as good as everyone thinks they are! Don't forget the first half of their Championship season, useless. And they hardly gave a good defence of their Premiership status

I agree with you about Bolton, however as much as it pains me to say it Doogie is a pretty decent manager, not much change from the end of last season and many would hope that carries on.

Reading however may have been shit last season, however they kept pretty much a championship team and failed to add the real quailty, which they seemed to have done this season, I really cant see past them at the moment and know the league well.

As for us, many people are going to knock our chances from the outside we have a fairly unproven manager, who many and fans, writers and the like will not know much about, so we are an unknown quantity, the same fans, writers etc will have rated Poyet because of his name and previous history in the English game, its very rare a manager is sacked when the club is doing well, so I would say it looks as if we are taking a step backwards. it also took us a while to get Oscar in place and with little transfer activity so far people dont have much to go on. On the inside though things are starting to look positive and we have a solid group of players who can keep us in a steady position for the first few months of the season until we can get fully settled, I reckon we will see some better results than last year but we will be about the same points wise, but not sure that will make 4th this season.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think they're about right. I think people are really underestimating how well we've done the last 2 seasons and how tough this league is. 11th wouldn't be a disaster by any means. Of course i hope i'm wrong but somethnig tells methat's where we'll be...

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
I agree with you about Bolton, however as much as it pains me to say it Doogie is a pretty decent manager, not much change from the end of last season and many would hope that carries on.

Reading however may have been shit last season, however they kept pretty much a championship team and failed to add the real quailty, which they seemed to have done this season, I really cant see past them at the moment and know the league well.

As for us, many people are going to knock our chances from the outside we have a fairly unproven manager, who many and fans, writers and the like will not know much about, so we are an unknown quantity, the same fans, writers etc will have rated Poyet because of his name and previous history in the English game, its very rare a manager is sacked when the club is doing well, so I would say it looks as if we are taking a step backwards. it also took us a while to get Oscar in place and with little transfer activity so far people dont have much to go on. On the inside though things are starting to look positive and we have a solid group of players who can keep us in a steady position for the first few months of the season until we can get fully settled, I reckon we will see some better results than last year but we will be about the same points wise, but not sure that will make 4th this season.

I actually agree Doogie is half decent, but so was Coyle. The biggest problem comes from the terraces, the preconception that fans expect the Okocha's, Nolans, Anelkas, Campo's and Hierro's to be strutting their stuff and challenging for Europe has never faded, the fans are stuck in old times and that is the down fall for any team, look at Blackburns demise and Leeds for other examples.

I quite like us being outsiders this season, will make our success all the sweeter :)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Zat Knight is one of those players who seems to keep getting signed by clubs despite never knowingly giving a decent performance. Amazed that his career has lasted that long. None of his previous clubs' supporters rate him, and nor do Bolton's.

I think Millwall might surprise a few people. Not saying they'll be contenders, but I'm not sure they're the dead certs for relegation people seem to think. I believe they've made a few decent signings. Mind you, if Palace can get up with the squad they had last season, most of the Championship will be fancying their chances of a cheeky play off final. They've given hope to a lot of mediocre teams.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here