Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Third Investec Ashes Test, England v Australia, Old Trafford 1-5 Aug 2013

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
England to confirm retention of the urn, without too much fuss?

England to name an unchanged side, or will Bresnan be sacrificed for the height and pace of Trenlett? Bresnan deserves to keep his place, I'd say, but the England camp are winners - no sentiment will come into it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I know Australia are rubbish- but I hope nobody gets TOO confident just yet.

Finish the job, England.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
just off to the station. Got Days 2 and 3. Maybe Panesaar? It's official The SUN says"32.2% of test wickets to fall since WWII have been to spinners" There are burn marks on a very dry newly positioned wicket. Bresnan out for monty would show what wicket to expect. Although with Roooooooooot helping Swann not absolutely necessary. So probably unchanged.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Two spinners is something the England selectors don't feel confident with. And IMO Swann is good enough to play on his own. Root is proving quite handy with the ball too.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Two spinners is something the England selectors don't feel confident with. And IMO Swann is good enough to play on his own. Root is proving quite handy with the ball too.

At home maybe but certainly not in India last winter or against Pakistan in the UAE.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No offence but Cricket is so mind numbingly boring!

C'mon England though! (Still wont be watching!)

None taken. Feel free to ignore any threads, marked with a little red cricket ball, in future.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm a bit meh about this one. There really isn't much fun in such contests when one team is fundamentally so shìt. Nevertheless, I hope we batter them 5-0 (as they did to us in 2007) and the winter series turns out to be a bit more competitive.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I know Australia are rubbish- but I hope nobody gets TOO confident just yet.

Finish the job, England.

Talk of 5-0 still smacks of complacency, yes. Retaining the urn, requires one DRAW from one of the next three Tests. I think we'll do it...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm a bit meh about this one. There really isn't much fun in such contests when one team is fundamentally so shìt. Nevertheless, I hope we batter them 5-0 (as they did to us in 2007) and the winter series turns out to be a bit more competitive.

You need to get involved in some BETTING Sim. Remember the ads "It means more, when there's money on it".

Steve Smith as top Australia batsman, first inns, @ 8/1 looks value. (He may still not play, but you'd get your stake back anyway)
Broad @50/1 for England is a long shot, but very good value.
Swann as top first inns bowler is a BIT tempting @11/4, but its hard to look past Jimmy (who is no value @ 7/4.

I've a couple of quid on Siddle, first inns for them, @5/2.

I've a tenner on Swann as top wkts for the series @5/1 (currently Swann 13, Jimmy 13, Siddle 11)

Last edited:

I have a feeling that the convicts will run this one very close, they surely can't keep being as shit as they were in the 2nd test.

I expect a re-run of the 1st test.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Talk of 5-0 still smacks of complacency, yes. Retaining the urn, requires one DRAW from one of the next three Tests. I think we'll do it...
Although to counterbalance that, there isn't a cat's chance in hell that Australia will win back the Ashes. In 150 years of Ashes matches, only one team has ever come back from 2 down to win a series 3-2, and that team had Don Bradman in it!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Cook is a useless tosser. Australia will bat (Starc, Lyon and Warner in for Pattinson, Agar and Hughes). England are unchanged.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If there is a ground where the weather may affect the result - it is this one. Ask the locals.

(mind you , you can add Cardiff to Old Trafford ........)

A local speaks. Weather was bobbins yesterday our kid but looking double tops for the next few days apart from odd shower.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here