Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whatever became of ex-Albion apprentices from 1970s and 1980s?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
This week I put together a blog piece about Mark Fleet, a Brighton & Hove Albion player who didn't quite make it - but is now highly successful in another career
http://thegoldstonewrap.com/2013/07/29/mark-fleet-from-scrapheap-to-skipton-success/

Fuelled by the interest in this article, I'm gathering some information together for some articles hopefully! Other names that may ring a bell include Andrew Young, Ian Liddle, David Linstrem, Paul Gent, Howard Denton, Biz Russell, Lee Plummer, Ricky Sopp, Francis Fraser and Tommy Barden.

And if you remember other names, please list them here.

I'm guessing that many went on to play local league football. If anyone has any info or some contact details, please let me know.

Thanks!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Ricky Sopp played for Worthing and Littlehampton. Ricky opened Broadwater Sports, which proved to be very successful.

Great character, plays golf now at Worthing GC.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
This week I put together a blog piece about Mark Fleet, a Brighton & Hove Albion player who didn't quite make it - but is now highly successful in another career
http://thegoldstonewrap.com/2013/07/29/mark-fleet-from-scrapheap-to-skipton-success/

Fuelled by the interest in this article, I'm gathering some information together for some articles hopefully! Other names that may ring a bell include Andrew Young, Ian Liddle, David Linstrem, Paul Gent, Howard Denton, Biz Russell, Lee Plummer, Ricky Sopp, Francis Fraser and Tommy Barden.

And if you remember other names, please list them here.

I'm guessing that many went on to play local league football. If anyone has any info or some contact details, please let me know.

Thanks!

There are one or two who have posted on here in the relatively recent past (last couple of years or so). I don't have details to hand (currently at work), but will let you know usernames in due course.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Ricky Sopp played for Worthing and Littlehampton. Ricky opened Broadwater Sports, which proved to be very successful.

Great character, plays golf now at Worthing GC.

Thank you! Here's Ricky Sopp from 1974. Do you remember what style of player Ricky was? As flair as the hair?

rickysopp3.jpg

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Thank you! Here's Ricky Sopp from 1974. Amazing hair.

rickysopp3.jpg

Do you remember what kind / style of player Ricky was?

Played with him at both teams.

He played under Norman Cairns at L'ton, in the very successful team that dominated the county league. He was a good centre-half, who was way better than the County League level he was playing. Not the fastest but was formidable and his positional play was his strength. Left L'ton and went to Worthing, playing in the Barry Lloyd team that finished runners up in the premier league to (Wycombe) I think, I think they also made FA Cup round 2 that year. Obviously ?isthmian premier, is a lot stronger than local football and Soppy seemed to manage comfortably. Remember him scoring a few headers from corners.

Can't recall whether his business commitments or injuries that forced him to finish.

He may still own Broadwater Sports. I seem to recall Peter Ward opened it but could be wrong.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think Biz Russell played for Peacehaven when they won the County League, I know he was always well regarded, but may have struggled with injuries....

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Paul Gent's a bit of a character and has posted on here, can't remember his user name though.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I think Biz Russell played for Peacehaven when they won the County League, I know he was always well regarded, but may have struggled with injuries....

Here's the magnificently named Biz Russell...

bizrussell.jpg

Interesting to see that Admiral t-shirt transfer - a rather primitively put-together football shirt.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Last edited:

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Went to school with one Rodney Feast...best player in the school...went on the books at Albion....what happened to him I've no idea ...

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Steve Breach? Joined the Albion from Arsenal, but never made the first team. Went on to be a legend at Crawley Town.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Steve Breach? Joined the Albion from Arsenal, but never made the first team. Went on to be a legend at Crawley Town.

There was a sports writer for West Sussex Gazette called Stephen Breach in the early 1980s that covered the Albion. I wonder if it was the same chap or just a namesake.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Franco Massimo?

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Mark Nye. Utter legend of the clubbing scene in the 80's. allegedly pissed in Mullers shampoo bottle whilst an apprentice. Was a big player at Worthing during their success in the early 80's with Edmonds, Cornwall, Rainsford, etc. reasonable at Horsham, Burgess Hill etc afterwards. During the early 80's, every birds bogs in the town had 'I've shagged Mark Nye' in lippy on the mirror!
Was the lucky recipient of a black blow up doll on his 21st birthday!

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
David Gipp & Jack Dineen.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Mark Nye worked at Amex always thought he had eye make up on. He was good crack and the story of the shampoo bottle was true he also said an ex employee used to leave his office door open to watch the guys in the showers.:ffsparr: no names.!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here