Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can ordinary working folk afford to seek justice?

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
I posted a thread a couple of months ago about my neighbour changing my house from being detached to a semi by attaching an extension to my garage wall.

Since then confusion has reigned. Was it party wall, or trespass, or squatting, or easement?

Anyway, I had to seek advice etc. from a solicitor. So far, a one hour meeting, 3 letters, two phone calls and a reading of my deeds. Cost so far £900 + vat. Just do not have the money to pay out at this rate. Solicitor advised that I could not afford to take matter to court for judge to make a decision. (Unless I wish to get into massive debt).

Will have to withdraw my case if fees continue at this rate. Another rip off for hard working families. Bah!!!!!!!.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If you ever have to sell your property make sure it is described as link detached rather than a semi. Your neighbour has got away with it because they knew it could cost £50k to take it to court for a ruling.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
Surely he can only build a self-supporting structure? Not something that needs your garage as support? What have the solicitors/council said?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I had a problem a bit like this while we lived in Wales I went onto the land registry site and found out what I needed without having to go the legal route they will also for a small price send you a map/chart with your property clearly shown on it (you should have got one of these when you bought the property)
ours worked out OK as the disputed land belonged to nobody that they could find and if we had been there any longer I would have roped it off and claimed it (it was attached to our property anyway)
hope this might help

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Surely he can only build a self-supporting structure? Not something that needs your garage as support? What have the solicitors/council said?

Council said planning wasn't needed. Not interested.

Solicitor thinks my neighbour had a bloody cheek but only a court can finally decide. Solicitor seeking recompense but can only try so much before costs escalate.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
has your neighbour actually attached it to you garage if so then this must be illegal if he has taken it to its absolute limit but not touching your garage then he might just be within his rights
if he has built within your boundary he most obviously does not have planning permission to build on your land and me personally I would knock the bloody thing down or at least threaten to

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Council said planning wasn't needed. Not interested.

Solicitor thinks my neighbour had a bloody cheek but only a court can finally decide. Solicitor seeking recompense but can only try so much before costs escalate.

Does it all come under "permitted development rights" ? The council won't give a toss because planning permission isn't needed when the guidelines are adhered to.

D

Deleted member 22389

I posted a thread a couple of months ago about my neighbour changing my house from being detached to a semi by attaching an extension to my garage wall.

Since then confusion has reigned. Was it party wall, or trespass, or squatting, or easement?

Anyway, I had to seek advice etc. from a solicitor. So far, a one hour meeting, 3 letters, two phone calls and a reading of my deeds. Cost so far £900 + vat. Just do not have the money to pay out at this rate. Solicitor advised that I could not afford to take matter to court for judge to make a decision. (Unless I wish to get into massive debt).

Will have to withdraw my case if fees continue at this rate. Another rip off for hard working families. Bah!!!!!!!.

Once you start going down the solicitor path these costs soon mount up. Also can you really be doing with the extra stress. I know what you mean you want it sorted, seems completely wrong to me.

Your neighbour sounds like a bit of a w&**ker. Obviously he didn't consult you beforehand, if he did you would have said no.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Are you in full dispute with your neighbour? If so rather than court have you looked at alternative dispute resolution / mediation? Much cheaper

Arun1664

Nov 2, 2009
Had you thought about fitting a window in your garage wall, might give him something to think about & bring him to the negotiation table. You should be able to pick a nice big second hand one off of ebay for not much money ....

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

The real winner in this is your solicitor, they will always call you in for a meeting even if it's not needed. They could have given you the same advice when you first contacted them and saved you £1000.00. The end result is not only hating your neighbour you will hate your solicitor as well.

Other than that I can't comment on your position because I would have to see some photos of the crime for my valid opinion

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Knock your garage down ?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Here's another example of how justice will most likely be denied to those of us at the bottom of the heap. Not that workers losing yet more rights under a Tory Government should surprise anyone, but here we go again anyway:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23486842

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I thought "permitted development" didn't apply within a metre of the boundary and that any such development needed planning permission.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
...Have you checked to see if you have legal cover on your house insurance?

I am biased because this is my field but for around £20 per year you will get access to free legal advice and legal fees paid up to typically £100k if there is a valid claim. It is not perfect but it is bloody good value when you consider the costs being quoted here.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill

Here's another example of how justice will most likely be denied to those of us at the bottom of the heap. Not that workers losing yet more rights under a Tory Government should surprise anyone, but here we go again anyway:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23486842

But don't you think it is reasonable for a claimant to have some skin in the game rather than the Employment Tribunal free for all that has existed until now?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
But don't you think it is reasonable for a claimant to have some skin in the game rather than the Employment Tribunal free for all that has existed until now?

In a word?

No.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here