Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chirs Powell's Verdict and League Table Prediction.

PWA

European Tour 2023/24
Jul 23, 2011
West Sussex
Chris Powell has said this regarding the Albion "They say a week is a long time in football, and a week in May for Brighton last season proved exactly why that saying has some truth. After holding Crystal Palace to a 0-0 draw at Selhurst Park in the first leg of their play-off semi-final, it seemed as if Brighton had one foot into the final at Wembley; they surely couldn’t lose at home? Wilfried Zaha had other ideas, scoring twice to knock Brighton out three days later. Three further days later and manager Gus Poyet and his coaching staff were suspended following an incident quite simply dubbed as ‘Poo Gate’. I’ll let you do your own research on that one. Over a month later, Poyet’s dismissal was finally confirmed, he’d turned the club around, but it was time for a new man to take the club forward. Former Barcelona midfielder Oscar Garcia is that man.

After only being appointed in the final week of June, Garcia has been quiet in the transfer market thus far, only bringing in Matthew Upson, who spent time on loan at the AMEX last season, on a permanent transfer, young full-back Adam Chicksen from MK Dons and talented Dutch midfielder Kemy Augestien from Swansea. However, Brighton have managed to keep the bulk of their squad together. They’ve lost number of fringe players and Vicente, who spent most of the season injured, whilst hanging on to the likes of David ‘Spanish Dave’ Lopez, Liam Bridcutt and Will Buckley.

With there still being time for Brighton to build, there’s every chance their squad will have plenty more new faces before the end of August, but it’s strong in its current format. It remains to be seen how successfully Garcia will adapt to the Championship, but, on paper at least, he’s an excellent appointment and should do well. I expect another season where Brighton will battle for a play-off spot."

He sees the table finishing like this, I don't think he is far off.

01 Nottingham Forest
02 Wigan Athletic
--------------------------
03 Reading
04 Bolton Wanderers
05 Brighton & Hove Albion
06 Leicester City
=================
07 QPR
08 Watford
09 Derby County
10 Blackburn Rovers
11 Ipswich Town
12 Charlton Athletic
13 Leeds United
14 Birmingham City
15 Middlesbrough
16 Millwall
17 Bournemouth
18 Burnley
19 Sheffield Wednesday
20 Huddersfield Town
21 Barnsley
--------------------------
22 Blackpool
23 Doncaster Rovers
24 Yeovil Town

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I'm still very much on the fence about this season, could go either way

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Not sure if I am as positive about our chances as Powell. A couple of decent signings could change my slight pessimism.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I like his prediction, I think I'd rather this season Garcia consolidating his philosophy and then make a huge push next season. But that depends on how we start. I do not want to limp into the play-offs like Palace did, neither do I want a stagnated push like Hull.

I'd rather not predict the outcome until we're a few a weeks into the league, and depending on the results and signings made first.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Id happily take a play-off spot.

Dont quite get where all this feeling about Forest doing incredibly well has come from, they havent changed much from last season - so why all of a sudden are the being tipped to win the league over teams like Reading and QPR ?

Powell is also being rather humble about his own chances too, can see Charlton being one of the surprises this season.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

Dont quite get where all this feeling about Forest doing incredibly well has come from, they havent changed much from last season - so why all of a sudden are the being tipped to win the league over teams like Reading and QPR ?

Powell is also being rather humble about his own chances too, can see Charlton being one of the surprises this season.

Haven't changed much? Think you need to look again.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Definitely agree that Powell is under-estimating his own team's chances. They were on the periphery of the play-offs last season and it was really their home form that stopped them finishing higher. I'd be really surprised if they didn't finish in the top 10.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton

They just signed Jamie Mackie and look likely to get Charlie Austin. Goals were a problem for them last season, but the addition of those two will certainly help them. On the debit side, they sold McGugan to Watford, who will be a loss for them.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
They just signed Jamie Mackie and look likely to get Charlie Austin. Goals were a problem for them last season, but the addition of those two will certainly help them. On the debit side, they sold McGugan to Watford, who will be a loss for them.
Not just those two players. They have signed some good players in other areas.

Darius Henderson (Millwall, free), Eric Lichaj (Aston Villa, free), Gonzalo Jara (West Bromwich Albion, free), Jamie Paterson (Walsall, undisclosed), Dorus De Vries (Wolverhampton Wanderers, free), Jack Hobbs (Hull City, loan), Djamel Abdoun (Olympiakos, £1.5m), Jamie Mackie (Queens Park Rangers, £1m)

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Not just those two players. They have signed some good players in other areas.

Darius Henderson (Millwall, free), Eric Lichaj (Aston Villa, free), Gonzalo Jara (West Bromwich Albion, free), Jamie Paterson (Walsall, undisclosed), Dorus De Vries (Wolverhampton Wanderers, free), Jack Hobbs (Hull City, loan), Djamel Abdoun (Olympiakos, £1.5m), Jamie Mackie (Queens Park Rangers, £1m)

Henderson signed for them last January, I think. There's some good value in there and still enough left for a marquee signing, presumably Austin but possibly someone else. If Forest can handle the pressure which has sometimes been a millstone in the past, they could be in with a great shout.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Kevin Gallen on SSN doesn't even mention The Albion challenging for a play-off spot which I think is a bit arrogant of him to be honest. Sounds like he doesn't rate Oscar.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Kevin Gallen on SSN doesn't even mention The Albion challenging for a play-off spot which I think is a bit arrogant of him to be honest. Sounds like he doesn't rate Oscar.

Probably because, like a lot of pundits, he doesn't have the first clue about any football that happens outside of England.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Haven't changed much? Think you need to look again.

Unless I missed something I can only see them signing Hobbs from Hull, Mackie and an Algerian winger. They tried to sign Morgan from Leicester and another guy but nothing done. They also lost a couple of last season's team, including McGugan. They might be dangerous as they had a very good second half to the season - but then so did we.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Unless I missed something I can only see them signing Hobbs from Hull and an Algerian winger. They tried to sign Morgan from Leicester and another guy but nothing done. They also lost a couple of last season's team, including McGugan. They might be dangerous as they had a very good second half to the season - but then so did we.

McGugan will be a loss. The signing of Mackie is a very good one though. He was a key player when QPR won the Championship 2 seasons ago and this could be a good move for him. Were they to get Austin as well, they won't be short of goals.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He speaks alot of sense although I don't think poo gate came into Gus' dismissal and he has chosen to big up an incident that apparently wasn't anywhere nr as big or bad as made out.

Don't agree with his table. Something tells me we'll come around 14th. Which wouldn't be anything nr a disaster, more a 'building' season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here