Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is McDonalds addictive?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Moving on from the 'it's all sh*t don't ever eat that rubbish' debate, as plenty of people clearly do.
I can't help thinking their food is in some way addictive.

Should I ever eat a McDonalds it requires effort.
The nearest one is 5 miles away and out of town, there's no other reason to be in it's location, so we aren't.
Therefore mine and Team Stat's McDonalds and fast food intake in general, is pretty low, months pass by without any, and the kids still see it as a special treat.

But with one thing and another through July I had 'justifiable cause' to get us something quick for lunch/tea.
Probably not quite once a week, certainly noticeably more than usual.
(even the explanation makes it sound illicit).

So here I am day off, all's quiet, and I'm trying to think of a way to allow myself another McDonalds fix.

That can't be right?
Does this ring true with anybody else, if so what's going on?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) is a major contributor to the overeating and the weight gain that normally result from dining at McDonalds. HFCS messes with the way that your body functions because your body processes it differently than it does regular sugar. It causes your liver to throw more fat out into your bloodstream, which causes your body to store more fat, as well as tricking your body into wanting to eat more. And McDonalds loves to make use of it. A lot of food manufacturers do. It's cheap and it extends shelf life. And obviously if you want to eat more, then you'll buy more. HFCS can be found in virtually every item on the McDonalds menu, from the burger buns to the sodas.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
For some bloody reason the kids love Mc'D's, I cannot stand it but every now and then I give in and go in with them. Bloody horrible food, apart from their breakfast that is fine. But back to your question, yes I think it is addictive but only to kids and obese people.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Never quite fills you up, probably because it's full of nonsense. Can be addictive.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) is a major contributor to the overeating and the weight gain that normally result from dining at McDonalds. HFCS messes with the way that your body functions because your body processes it differently than it does regular sugar. It causes your liver to throw more fat out into your bloodstream, which causes your body to store more fat, as well as tricking your body into wanting to eat more. And McDonalds loves to make use of it. A lot of food manufacturers do. It's cheap and it extends shelf life. And obviously if you want to eat more, then you'll buy more. HFCS can be found in virtually every item on the McDonalds menu, from the burger buns to the sodas.
mmmm, that settles it, I'm off.

Anyone else want anything?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
It is addictive, I'm generally a healthy person (other than having a chronic illness that is) and food aware, swim 3 days a week, run 3 days a week, cycle and eat a balance diet.

However, I'll be damned if I can go a whole week without at least one trip to McDonalds. I've recently felt like intentionally poisening myself whilst eating one of their burgers so the thought of it makes me sick.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Do you think a multi billion dollar worldwide company that sells food full of additives and chemicals, would NOT employ people to make their products more addictive through chemicals?

wow.......some people live in a land full of fairies.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Do you think a multi billion dollar worldwide company that sells food full of additives and chemicals, would NOT employ people to make their products more addictive through chemicals?

Do they add these chemicals in the Southwick tunnel?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Fair point.

I guess food neatly wrapped in paper and sold through bullet proof glass, ought to be enough of a clue.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) is ...

... somthing americans use but we see very little of here in the UK or Europe where are sugars come from sugar beat and sugar cane (the "regular sugars" that are magically fine).

obviously the fries have their special coke infused salt, but i dont think its additive, just morish. and comfort food, you associate it probably with being a treat when a kid.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have always drawn the line with their milkshakes.

Isn't it something like, each one has enough calories to feed Africa for a year?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Funny, I've always thought their coffee is one of the worst available. :shrug:

If I have a McDonalds it always seems to taste great and I crave one the next day. On the second visit it never seems quite as nice.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Funny, I've always thought their coffee is one of the worst available. :shrug:

If I have a McDonalds it always seems to taste great and I crave one the next day. On the second visit it never seems quite as nice.

there medium white is good value....still i only drink it at the shoreham one on the seafront...maybe its special there

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
mmmm, that settles it, I'm off.

Anyone else want anything?

I found this american clap trap on google for you. You will need Team Stat's assistance.

"What can you do?

Like the call of the Sirens, we all know that fast food is bad for us, but who among us can resist? One idea is to learn from Odysseus and how he escaped the Sirens. He had the crew of his ship tie him to the mast before they sailed past the Sirens so that he couldn't change course and steer toward them. As he drew near, their calls lured him. He decided to give up and follow their song, even if it meant death, and he begged his crew to untie him. The crew expected his weakness, refused his request and instead bound him tighter. He lived thanks to their help.................Or, you could just give into the Sirens. "

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Addicitve? Nah, not had one for 15 years.
(mainly because when I'm hungry my body craves actual food, not a bag of fat and sugar that leaves you hungry).

I no longer play with dolls either.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Addicitve? Nah, not had one for 15 years.
(mainly because when I'm hungry my body craves actual food, not a bag of fat and sugar that leaves you hungry).

I no longer play with dolls either.

You seem fun :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here