Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Important first game

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Looking forward to Leeds which should be a great game and a good way to compare starting form with last season. It will also be as ever a tough test.

Last year we lost 1-0 at Hull first game. It turned out that if we had won that game we would have been promoted. Maybe Saturday will be as important....

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Looking forward to Leeds which should be a great game and a good way to compare starting form with last season. It will also be as ever a tough test.

Last year we lost 1-0 at Hull first game. It turned out that if we had won that game we would have been promoted. Maybe Saturday will be as important....
No we wouldn't. What you mean is if we'd got three more points we'd have been promoted. You could also argue that if we hadn't given away all those late goals we'd have been promoted; on the other hand if we hadn't scored a few late goals we wouldn't even have made the play-offs. The first few games are always a bit experimental as teams are feeling each other out and no one knows who the good or bad ones are yet, it's like the first few metres of a 1500 metre race.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I'm a bit worried to be honest. We look at least a month away from being a 'team' that can play the way Oscar wants.

We have skilful players, but it looks as if some (Buckley? Bridcutt? Orlandi? Ulloa?) are being asked to play in a slightly different way and are still getting used to it.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Would be great to get off to a winning start but a very tough game in front of a large crowd I think a point would be a good result.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
No we wouldn't. What you mean is if we'd got three more points we'd have been promoted. You could also argue that if we hadn't given away all those late goals we'd have been promoted; on the other hand if we hadn't scored a few late goals we wouldn't even have made the play-offs. The first few games are always a bit experimental as teams are feeling each other out and no one knows who the good or bad ones are yet, it's like the first few metres of a 1500 metre race.

If we'd have got 3 more points last season, we'd have finished 3rd. If we had beaten Hull on the opening day last year, and all other results had been the same, we'd have finished 2nd.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If we'd have got 3 more points last season, we'd have finished 3rd. If we had beaten Hull on the opening day last year, and all other results had been the same, we'd have finished 2nd.

True, my recollection of the final points tally was wrong. But what if Hull had beaten us at the Amex? My point is that you can't look at the result of a single game, change that, and then assume that everything else stayed the same. Well you can for the sake of amusement, but it isn't realistic. I'll be happy with a point seeing as I don't think we're up to full speed yet - but a defeat doesn't automatically mean we won't finish above Leeds; in other words it's not a 'must win' game seeing as it's only August.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Not overly confident about the first match but equally won't be concerned if we lose - even if we lose heavily (ish).

Oscar is not going to get the team playing his way and all bedded in overnight.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'm a bit worried to be honest. We look at least a month away from being a 'team' that can play the way Oscar wants.

We have skilful players, but it looks as if some (Buckley? Bridcutt? Orlandi? Ulloa?) are being asked to play in a slightly different way and are still getting used to it.

I think you are right, I hope people can be patient for the first few games. Still can't wait to see how we do in a competitive fixture now the warm ups are out of the way.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
It will be interesting to put it mildly to see how the players react to Oscar's tactics. Will they be up for it or still not quite sure what he wants from them?

It's a good test for us as a first game of the season. Leeds is always a pretty hostile place to go and I'd be chuffed with a point but not too disappointed if we lose.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here