Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Recommend me a decent book

matildaseagull

Aug 12, 2003
Good Old Sussex
Off to south of France for a fortnight on Saturday. Kids now old enough to amuse themselves, so I'm looking forwards to losing myself in a good book. Any recommendations? I've read all the Roy Grace stuff, so maybe something a bit different? Thanks!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Off to south of France for a fortnight on Saturday. Kids now old enough to amuse themselves, so I'm looking forwards to losing myself in a good book. Any recommendations? I've read all the Roy Grace stuff, so maybe something a bit different? Thanks!

If you liked the Roy Grace books, then you would not be disappointed by the Millenium Trilogy by Stig Larsson. Brilliant books, thankfully I've steered clear of Hollywood's attempts to depict the series.

matildaseagull

Aug 12, 2003
Good Old Sussex
Have you read the Game of Thrones series?

No I haven't. I don't know anything about them really. I've always just assumed they were a Hobbity/Dungeons and Dragons-type TV series on Sky (not knocking them, I know they are critically acclaimed!)

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
No I haven't. I don't know anything about them really. I've always just assumed they were a Hobbity/Dungeons and Dragons-type TV series on Sky (not knocking them, I know they are critically acclaimed!)

I loved all of them.

Recommended to my wife,she took a bit of time to get into book 1 and now cannot stop.

You could have reading material for many holidays in front of you.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
the swedish movie of it is actually very good - and the hollywood movie is not terrible

What I meant was that sometimes seeing a film prior to reading the book can make you less inclined to read it - e.g. I'm glad I read it before I've seen Craig's portrayal of Blomkvist. I fully intend to see the movies now I've finished the series.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Have you read any Iain Banks?

I can't get enough of his novels at the moment. Espedair Street is an absolute classic. It's very easy reading, very entertaining and I also found it quite touching in places. It might help that I'm a big Fleetwood Mac fan and the band in the book bears a striking resemblance to the Mac, but I don't think you need be a Mac fan to enjoy it.

Another chap who has impressed me in recent months is John Niven. His first book, Kill your Friends, is being made into a movie now, I believe. And it's a cracking read. Again, very easy to digest, so ideal for a holiday. Although it does get a bit graphic in places, so if you're squeamish you'll perhaps not like it. It's a bit like American Psycho with Simon Cowell instead of Patrick Bateman.

He followed it up with a solid enough thriller, Cold Hands, and a jocular story about Jesus' second coming, his exploits on a TV talent contest and the resulting mayhem that ensued. I thought it was jolly good fun

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
32 Programmes by Dave Roberts - perfect holiday read.

When Dave Roberts relocates to the USA, his wife informs him that they can only take what is 'absolutely essential'. Packing his collection of football programmes (1,134 of them - football fans are sticklers for statistics), Dave is aghast to be informed that the programmes do not fall into that category. He must whittle down his treasured archive to only what will fit inside a Tupperware container the size of a Dan Brown hardback.

32 Programmes tells the story of how Dave made the selection of his most important programmes, and how the process brought back a flood of nostalgia for simpler times. As the sights, sounds and smells of those 1,134 football matches return, the choices Dave makes reflect the twists and turns that life takes. Finally, with just hours to go before the flight, the container is full to the brim. One more programme will be added to the collection - one that Dave never thought he would see and which means more to him than any other.

32 Programmes is the story of youthful football obsession, crushes on disinterested girls, rubbish jobs and trying to impress skinheads. But most of all, it is the story of a man's life and loves, of family, friends and football.

... and if you like that read The Bromley Boys by the same author.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/32-Programmes-Dave-Roberts/dp/0857500503

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
The best book i've ever read:thumbsup:

download (34).jpg

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Have you read any Iain Banks?

I can't get enough of his novels at the moment. Espedair Street is an absolute classic. It's very easy reading, very entertaining and I also found it quite touching in places. It might help that I'm a big Fleetwood Mac fan and the band in the book bears a striking resemblance to the Mac, but I don't think you need be a Mac fan to enjoy it.

Another chap who has impressed me in recent months is John Niven. His first book, Kill your Friends, is being made into a movie now, I believe. And it's a cracking read. Again, very easy to digest, so ideal for a holiday. Although it does get a bit graphic in places, so if you're squeamish you'll perhaps not like it. It's a bit like American Psycho with Simon Cowell instead of Patrick Bateman.

He followed it up with a solid enough thriller, Cold Hands, and a jocular story about Jesus' second coming, his exploits on a TV talent contest and the resulting mayhem that ensued. I thought it was jolly good fun

I also really enjoyed Canal Dreams and Whit, but found The Bridge hard going and slightly baffling, I'd stick it very much in the Kafka section of easy reading that one!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here