Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Actually agreed with Warnock

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Blimey I've actually agreed with something Neil Warnock has said. Just heard him on Talksport talking about the lack of respect a lot of players have got for supporters. Like he said especially at away matches when fans have spent a lot of money going to away matches to see their heroes, the players stick those headphones on get off the coach and go straight into the ground ignoring all the young kids waiting for autographs. Doesn't apply to all obviously.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yes and for once he is completely right. I was at the Amex last season for a fixture against a certain Premier League team. From a couple of hours before kick-off young fans had been gathering around the players entrance with their dads, autograph books in hand, eagerly awaiting the arrival of their heroes. As you say, when the coach finally arrived the said 'heroes', heads down and headphones on, marched straight into the ground without stopping to sign anything. Cue several young kids in tears. Wrong, so wrong.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Are you talking about the Arsenal game? Because I think I'm right in remembering their coach was delayed, and the players were rushing to prepare for the game. Which you can understand (but still wrong).

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Are you talking about the Arsenal game? Because I think I'm right in remembering their coach was delayed, and the players were rushing to prepare for the game. Which you can understand (but still wrong).

Most teams, including BHA do it. Its off the coach and into the ground asap, including the manager and staff. I've watched 8-9 teams arrive over two seasons at the Amex and the only people I've seen stop and sign autographs were Kevin Phillips ( Blackpool ) and Tony Mowbray ( Middsboro )
There was something rather special about Withdean where our players would walk from their cars and through the fans. They would sign autographs and pose for pictures. An intimacy you don't get now.
Years ago players were encouraged and expected to sign autographs. Now, you get the feeling that some players regard fans as plebs and to be avoided at all costs. Headphones on and pretend they are not there.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Most teams, including BHA do it. Its off the coach and into the ground asap, including the manager and staff. I've watched 8-9 teams arrive over two seasons at the Amex and the only people I've seen stop and sign autographs were Kevin Phillips ( Blackpool ) and Tony Mowbray ( Middsboro )
There was something rather special about Withdean where our players would walk from their cars and through the fans. They would sign autographs and pose for pictures. An intimacy you don't get now.
Years ago players were encouraged and expected to sign autographs. Now, you get the feeling that some players regard fans as plebs and to be avoided at all costs. Headphones on and pretend they are not there.

Our own players are happy to talk to fans, sign autographs, & have photos taken after the game. They wander down to the car park over the railway bridge after 6ish on a Saturday.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Tennis players spend the time, even directly after a gruelling match.

Perhaps clubs wish to limit autographs so they retain their value?

Do tennis players sign autographs before the match? I have passed by the away coach on numerous occasions at the Amex after the game and players seem to be posing and signing autographs every time. Not sure it's reasonable to expect them to stop and chat and pose etc on arrival personally.

Even Zaha after St Patricks day was having photos with fans so I don't believe that players don't usually make themselves available AFTER the match

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I can kind of understand it before a game, as the "away" team maybe only has a while to get changed, get mentally tuned into the game, take in tactics, get changed, warmed up etc. But, deffo after the game there is absolutely no reason why players cant sign autographs etc. The only time element there is that players might be 15-30 late home, which of course would be no big deal.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I got to the Peterborough game early last season and walked past their team coach as it arrived. Darren Ferguson and their players were all happy to pose for photos and sign autographs for the one Peterborough fan who had greeted their arrival.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Most teams, including BHA do it. Its off the coach and into the ground asap, including the manager and staff. I've watched 8-9 teams arrive over two seasons at the Amex and the only people I've seen stop and sign autographs were Kevin Phillips ( Blackpool ) and Tony Mowbray ( Middsboro ).

Tony Mowbray sometimes comes across as a miserable old git but he's one of the most genuine people in football and he has also been through a hell of a lot in his personal life. Read this and you'll know why stopping to sign a few autographs is no hardship for him.

http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/news/local-news/shaped-by-passion-and-grief-3976185

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Tony Mowbray sometimes comes across as a miserable old git but he's one of the most genuine people in football and he has also been through a hell of a lot in his personal life. Read this and you'll know why stopping to sign a few autographs is no hardship for him.

Cheers for posting that. Mowbray is one of the good guys.

In stark contrast to the subject of this thread.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I wouldn't expect any sportsman to sign autographs before a game, it would be nice if they did it afterwards but then at football they have warm downs and ice baths and all that. I've seen quite a few players posing for photos and signing autographs outside the club shop an hour or two after the game ends though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's obviously a sliding scale of levels of support.

Pro cyclists will wait in line for the fans!!.

I've never seen such a willing bunch of fan friendly sportsmen as at the Tour of Britain.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I was yes, but how long does it take to sign a few autographs? ... minutes?, seconds even?.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I wouldn't expect any sportsman to sign autographs before a game, it would be nice if they did it afterwards but then at football they have warm downs and ice baths and all that. I've seen quite a few players posing for photos and signing autographs outside the club shop an hour or two after the game ends though.

Agree with this. Afterwards is completely reasonable, and I've seen away players stopping to sign and pose after the game several times. Before seems unfair, players need to be focussed on the game etc...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here