Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Electrician help Please

Dear electricians of NSC,

I have been informed that my new(ish) fuse board was wired in by a chimp, this displeases me as the chimp in question has moved back oop norf.
There is no earth anywhere and apparently I should have been given a Certificate of Installation which I haven't.

My questions:
How much should you pay for this sort of thing?
Should the earth be run to the internal stop cock as I have been informed by an electrician but a Plummer has said that this is illegal?

Yours confused.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Main earth to consumer side of gas and water run in min of 10 mm2 single core earth cable.

You will only be able to get a Periodic Inspection Report as only the electrician carrying out the work can issue an installation cert. If the electrician is NICEIC registered it does not matter if he has returned up north the work will still be guaranteed.

How much depends on a few factors hard to say without seeing the job, I just hope you have a 17th edition consumer unit installed (dual RCD).

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Shocking!

Main earth to consumer side of gas and water run in min of 10 mm2 single core earth cable.

You will only be able to get a Periodic Inspection Report as only the electrician carrying out the work can issue an installation cert. If the electrician is NICEIC registered it does not matter if he has returned up north the work will still be guaranteed.

How much depends on a few factors hard to say without seeing the job, I just hope you have a 17th edition consumer unit installed (dual RCD).

I wouldn't have thought he was registered on anything to be honest, mate of a mate of a mate kind of thing.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Given you don't know just how good or bad it is, it might be good use of a few quid to get one of the sparkies on here to come out and give you the sp

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Watt you need is a proper electrician.

Watt you need is a proper electrician.

Very good.

But you're quite right and bearing in mind I often have the grand children stay over it has rather shown me the error of getting things done "on the cheap"

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Hillian1 - give us a call and speak to our of our knowledgeable and very friendly chaps (even if you don't use us it's more important you get it sorted. Advice is FREE!). We're Pavilion Electrics - I'll message you details.

I have been informed that my new(ish) fuse board was wired in by a chimp, this displeases me as the chimp in question has moved back oop norf.
There is no earth anywhere and apparently I should have been given a Certificate of Installation which I haven't.

My questions:
Should the earth be run to the internal stop cock as I have been informed by an electrician but a Plummer has said that this is illegal?

Yours confused.

Where are you? I used a very good one of I found off "Checkatrade" and was amazed at the amount of paperwork that was generated, also got a follow up visit by an inspector which I am told is the norm for around 25% of cases. I think the days of "getting a mate of a mate to do it for cash" is gone, in some cases probably for the best!

FYI the cost of a brand new compliant fuse board with all the relevant RCD bells and whistles, plus wiring in a new supply to our cooker (the old one not being man enough for the new one we bought) involving running cable in ducts on an outside wall and a fair bit of drilling, came to £465 fully certified, compliant etc.

Hillian1 - give us a call and speak to our of our knowledgeable and very friendly chaps (even if you don't use us it's more important you get it sorted. Advice is FREE!). We're Pavilion Electrics - I'll message you details.

Cheers, I have a local firm coming at 2 p.m to have a look, they look after all the Electrics at our Offices and Factory so at least I know they aren't going to rip me off.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
If the electrcian who changed your consumer unit has moved away you can still get EICR done on your property to verify its safety. For a 3 bed semi for instance it will cost you between £150-£250 depending on who you get.

If the electrcian who changed your consumer unit has moved away you can still get EICR done on your property to verify its safety. For a 3 bed semi for instance it will cost you between £150-£250 depending on who you get.

This bit may be the problem, it rather looks like he wasn't an electrician just some bloke that knows how to stick random size wires into random holes in the unit.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

I imagine that as the feed in to the house is likely to be polyethylene, then the plumber is right. I wouldn't trust an earth wired to a stop cock.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I imagine that as the feed in to the house is likely to be polyethylene, then the plumber is right. I wouldn't trust an earth wired to a stop cock.

The main incoming water main could well be plastic but your bonding to the consumer side not the incoming side. Assuming the pipe work is copper from stop cock onwards.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

My questions:

Yours confused.

A new fuseboard normally costs about £250- 350, depending on who you get to do the job. EDF are normally fairly expensive.
The earthing should be brought up to the 17th Edition regs if it is not already.
An earth should be run to the main internal stop cock and the stop cut on the gas (consumers side) both should be run separately from the earth terminals in the fuseboard. Hot and cold tap pipes should be cross bonded and the pipes going into your boiler should be cross bonded. The radiator in the bathroom should be earthed.
A certificate should have been left and signed by an electrician that has a Part P.
I am a JIB time served sparks with the 17th Edition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here