Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jürgen Klopp

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
Interesting comments from one of the most sought after managers in Europe, particularly his attitude to winning - to be honest I find this quite refreshing. Mind you, I think he went a bit mental in the last paragraph. Maybe he's watched too many Holloway interviews:

“When I first arrived at Dortmund, I told myself: “If 80,000 people come every two weeks to the stadium and that, on the pitch, we play boring football, one of the two parties, the club or the fans, will have to choose another stadium". Many fans travel 800km to see us and experience something special. It’s important to give them our all. We called this “football at full speed”. We want to make everything explode. We would rather hit the crossbar five times than find ourselves four times outside the opposition box and not take a shot. Might as well lose. That’s only the start of it. You have to create a link between the people and the club. The games have to have an impact on the fans other than from the result. Everyone knows that we won 3-1, but what people remember is a shot, a goal, or a save.

“When the club was just about saved (from bankruptcy in 2003), the owners realised that the club needed to find a new vitality. So they went out in the aim to find a dynamic, bubbly, fun, brave and courageous manager who plays entertaining football. If you don’t have money, then you need to be brave. We signed some players very young and we decided to grow together. To not have money doesn't mean that you have to stop working, it just means you need to find more ways to be successful. The club decided to continue with a manager from the lower leagues and a very young team, and we finished champions twice, which surprised us.

When talking about the salaries at Dortmund: “Even Tottenham pay their players more than us. We are one of the six teams in Europe capable of winning titles. In Spain,there’s Real Madrid and Barcelona,in England Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea, and in Italy, only Juventus. But here, they can make history. If you sign at Barcelona today, you will be champion many times. So what? They have been champions for the past ten years.”

“It would not interest me to have Xavi, Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo in the same team. Having a team that is 1000 times better than everyone else is a bit like playing tennis against a three year old girl. I would just smash the ball as hard as I could and the little girl would just stand there, motionless, with a racket in her hand… It’s not fun. On the other hand, if there is a man and we are playing table tennis, then it’s interesting. If I win, great, if I lose,then at least we had fun. Me, I don’t want to just win. I want to feel something, have shivers going down my spine!”

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Good article, but very easy for him to say. He makes out like Dortmund are a TINY club. Just the 80,000 through the gates each week. In the grand scheme of things, they are a MASSIVE club.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
"Even Tottenham pay their players more than us ..."

Wow. The man must be a miracle worker to build a winning team on such a pittance. On those joke wages you'd expect to end up in the Conference.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It is interesting that he alludes to the fact that joining Dortmund and winning would be a massive achievment as opposed to joining Barca where titles are dished out with ten pounds worth of petrol. Lets look at the facts then:

German League titles in the last 20 years:
Bayern: 11 titles
Dortmund: 5 titles
Everybody else between them: 4 titles

Spanish League titles in the last 20 years:
Barca: 10 titles
Real: 7 titles
Everybody else between them: 3 titles

So how is joining Dortmund any different from joining Real Madrid?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
"Even Tottenham pay their players more than us ..."

Wow. The man must be a miracle worker to build a winning team on such a pittance. On those joke wages you'd expect to end up in the Conference.

That line made me chuckle. Does he or Dortmund have any history with Spurs? Just wondering as I read it as a put down more than a bench mark of salaries.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
That line made me chuckle. Does he or Dortmund have any history with Spurs? Just wondering as I read it as a put down more than a bench mark of salaries.

I guess he's suggesting Spurs never (will) win anything, yet they pay higher salaries than BVB do. Whereas BVB have a decent chance of winning the league, and fork out less wages.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Accept Klopp is actually likable and has 100% no association to Crystal Palace.

Remember a section he did for Sky for the Champions League final, they took him around London - the guy is completely mad !

He mentioned that last year he took his squad on a pre-season camping trip to Scandinavia with no food. Just fishing rods.

Cracks me up when he's celebrating on the touchline when one of his players makes a goal-line clearance. He seems like he's got a brain in his head. Holloway on the other hand is just hot air.

Oldskool

Nov 25, 2012
Klopp may come across as a bit of a fruitcake to some people, but he's pretty authentic. He means what he says; he's full of passion and football is pumping in his veins. And indeed, Borussis Dortmund were literally on their knees in the not so distant past. Most of their supporters and Klopp himself remember that state vividly. What made them survive was their fanbase that still turned out in large numbers despite having fallen from grace on the pitch and just about able to keep the wolves from the door (banks). In terms of spending money, they had lived way beyond their means, they had lived the dream, one that Ridsdale would have been proud of (sic).

He gets that supporters are the base and lifeblood of any club. And he's not too shabby a manager either. He's proved that not only with Dortmund but also in establishing Mainz 05, forever a third and fourth division club, in the First Bundesliga.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Klopp's a great manager. Got the Dortmund job having managed Mainz and since going to Dortmund, has won 2 titles. That appointment would rarely happen in England because to get a big job, you'd have to be seen to have 'won trophies' in order to qualify, witness the criticism David Moyes took in some quarters when Manchester United appointed him manager. It's all well and good saying Dortmund are a big club because they get 80,000 supporters. They do have a huge fanbase. But that pays scant attention to the fact that between their Bundesliga titles in the 1990s and their success now, they had a period where they almost went to the wall. That means that they have not established themselves firmly among the elite European clubs over a number of seasons and so Klopp getting them to the Champions League final last time was an impressive performance. Klopp has been instrumental in getting them where they are now and his work is not finished yet. Can see him managing a big club outside of Germany in the not too distant future.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So true, everybody who was there will remember that run and shot by Vicente but even now who remembers the final score and who it was against.
It was against Derby (as I'm sure you know), Kaz was the deserved MOM, although I'm not too sure about the score, I think it was just 1-0. But I agree with your point, moments of magic are more important memories than score lines.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here