Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gordon Taylor in speaking sense shock

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Yes, it's rare to hear him actually criticising the modern day footballer, and admitting the money side of the game has got completely out of proportion. Now let's see what he does to start to change things ...

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Money is the issue and whilst he can bemoan players who force moves it is the prospect of increased salaries that drive this behaviour. With no sign of players wages reducing and FFP kicking in clubs have no alternative but to dive into the pockets of fans to make up the shortfall resulting in higher ticket prices and restricting the experience of live football to the more wealthy.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Money is the issue and whilst he can bemoan players who force moves it is the prospect of increased salaries that drive this behaviour. With no sign of players wages reducing and FFP kicking in clubs have no alternative but to dive into the pockets of fans to make up the shortfall resulting in higher ticket prices and restricting the experience of live football to the more wealthy.

Clubs DO have an alternative - they can say no. If you want stupid wages you'll have to find someone stupid enough to pay them. Robbing the poor to pay the rich is unsustainable. It's no longer a matter of 'if' clubs go under, it's 'when'.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Yes, it's rare to hear him actually criticising the modern day footballer, and admitting the money side of the game has got completely out of proportion. Now let's see what he does to start to change things ...

Listening to the sort of money Real Madrid are willing to pay for Bale just makes the mind boggle. The big clubs are becoming ever richer whilst leaving the smaller clubs stretching their budgets to try in some small way to to keep up. I wonder if it will lead to a European Super League in the not to distant future.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
Another person in a position of influence who could and should be coming up with solutions not just stating the obvious. Why doesn't he take a modern footballer with 'issues' to see ex-pro's who are working to make a living or show them that they are more privileged than previous generations and help them to put something back. On the other side it doesn't have to be like this and clubs themselves can take action - the FSF recently announced Stoke are using the extra TV revenue to run FREE coaches for fans to away games this season.

Last edited:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
The same bloke who, 16 years ago, was earning £450,000 pa. God knows what he's on now.
Yeah, it's only the players, management and owners who are obsessed with money, eh Gordon?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Yeah, I spotted this too. Bit like the Pot calling the Kettle black I thought, but at least it's the first positive statement he's made to rein them in a bit. Their world will come crashing down at some stage. Whilst I wouldn't want them to go back to the maximum wage days, they really need to be paid what they are worth (which really, in the overall scheme of things, is not a hell of a lot).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Football lost its soul years ago...

Taylor was reportedly paid £984,000 in 2011.

And being a union boss for multi-millionaire footballers does not strike me as overly taxing.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here