Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

47 years ago today

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Remember what you were doing? I remember eating endless boiled sweets above Dad's off licence in Western Road as a starter.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
30 years of hurt... now 47 years. Times flies, eh?

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I was 6 years old and England won the world cup, I saw it on TV.

Ditto. Presume I must have watched it though I don't remember a thing about it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I remember going outside to kick a ball in the garden after the German equaliser, it was too tense to watch. After putting five past the German goal (the lavender bush) I went back into the house just in time to see England's third goal - and all was well again

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I assume you are referring to that little match at Wembley....July 30 1966.
Watched all the build-up ( in black and white of course ) and then the match itself. Heart stopping stuff. A goal down, then seconds from winning and then victory snatched away. The controversy in extra time and then the ultimate triumph.
The memories are still as sharp today as then...
1) Bobby Moore...truly magnificent. A leader amongst men. Superb free-kick finding Hurst in space for his first and then, in the dying seconds, with the whole nation screaming for him to boot it into the stand, he looked up and dropped a 60 yard ball over Geoff Hurst's shoulder, into his path and the rest is history.
Wiping his hands, before he shook hands with the queen...." its only 12 inches high but its made of solid gold and it means...etc " Being hoisted aloft by his teammates. They all knew how good he was and they loved him.
2) Alan Ball...just ran and ran and ran. Never stopped. If the game had lasted 3 hours, Bally would still have been running his heart out....When Hurst slammed in the 4th, only one player was within 20 yards of him. Bally...who leapt straight into his arms. MOM for a lot of people.
3) Alf Ramsey...the man who said we would win the World Cup and was laughed at. The man who insisted on picking his own team and not allowing an FA committee to do it. The man who stuck by Nobby Stiles when the FA wanted him dropped for his appalling tackle against a Frenchman in the group..." if he goes, I go " The man who had the courage to leave out possibly the best striker in Europe ( Greaves ) from the Final and play the journeymen Hunt and Hurst together. The man who saw all his players sitting shattered on the turf at the end of normal time and went round all of them, dragging them to their feet. He pointed to the Germans, still sitting and told his players..." look, they're finished....you've won this once, now go out and do it again. The man at the end who stayed seated, drained of everything. The man who didn't join in the celebrations with his players..." its their moment " The man who took himself quietly down the tunnel and into English football immortality.

And now they are gone from us...the manager, the captain and the man of the match....nine still stand. Geoff Hurst gets most of the glory but above all, it was a fantastic team effort lead by an extraordinary manager. A man who had the courage of his convictions. A man who knitted some ordinary players around world class talent ( Banks/Moore/Charlton R ) A man who had the courage to change more than once during the tournament. Starting with wingers, perming different wide-men and then abandoning two wingers altogether. A man who deployed his best player ( Bobby Charlton ) to man-mark Franz Beckenbauer in the Final. Charlton was bitterly disappointed but he did it for Alf and the team.
They all pulled together as one. They were doing it for Alf. They would have run through brick walls for him. They loved him.
Thanks for the greatest day in English football. RIP.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
This was number 1 in the charts. One of the greatest covers by the greatest British exponent of blue-eyed soul and what a voice.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Tony Blair, writing before the 1997 General Election:

"My love affair with football really began in 1966. On June 30 to be precise, the day England won the World Cup at Wembley and fired me and thousands of schoolboys like me with an enthusiasm that will last all of our lives. Not that I knew anything about Kenneth Wolstenholme's now famous television commentary. I was in France and had no idea people were on the pitch. But i knew it was all over - such was the elation of what was a day of nail-biting drama that I can still remember, more than 30 years later, the thrill of victory, the rush of adrenaline, the pride and hero-worship I felt for Bobby Moore and the rest of the terrific side."

(Chances are, this back story is probably completely made up and young Tone was probably completely indifferent to the events of summer '66).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Tony Blair, writing before the 1997 General Election:

"My love affair with football really began in 1966. On June 30 to be precise, the day England won the World Cup at Wembley and fired me and thousands of schoolboys like me with an enthusiasm that will last all of our lives. Not that I knew anything about Kenneth Wolstenholme's now famous television commentary. I was in France and had no idea people were on the pitch. But i knew it was all over - such was the elation of what was a day of nail-biting drama that I can still remember, more than 30 years later, the thrill of victory, the rush of adrenaline, the pride and hero-worship I felt for Bobby Moore and the rest of the terrific side."

(Chances are, this back story is probably completely made up and young Tone was probably completely indifferent to the events of summer '66).

I'm very far from being a Blair lover (I think he should be tried as a war criminal) but he's clearly a big football fan, there have been plenty of independent comments about his love of the game. I see no reason to doubt his account (apart from the date being wrong). Everyone was gripped by the World Cup - even my mum watched the final and she's neither English nor a football fan - and I see no reason to doubt Blair's account.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I'm very far from being a Blair lover (I think he should be tried as a war criminal) but he's clearly a big football fan, there have been plenty of independent comments about his love of the game. I see no reason to doubt his account (apart from the date being wrong). Everyone was gripped by the World Cup - even my mum watched the final and she's neither English nor a football fan - and I see no reason to doubt Blair's account.

Thanks, and a bit of research here cleared some of my doubts
http://salutsunderland.com/2010/04/tony-blair-and-newcastle-united-when-the-truth-hurts/

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Watched all the build-up ( in black and white of course ) and then the match itself. Heart stopping stuff. A goal down, then seconds from winning and then victory snatched away. The controversy in extra time and then the ultimate triumph.
1) Bobby Moore...truly magnificent. A leader amongst men. Superb free-kick finding Hurst in space for his first and then, in the dying seconds, with the whole nation screaming for him to boot it into the stand, he looked up and dropped a 60 yard ball over Geoff Hurst's shoulder, into his path and the rest is history.
Wiping his hands, before he shook hands with the queen...." its only 12 inches high but its made of solid gold and it means...etc " Being hoisted aloft by his teammates. They all knew how good he was and they loved him.
2) Alan Ball...just ran and ran and ran. Never stopped. If the game had lasted 3 hours, Bally would still have been running his heart out....When Hurst slammed in the 4th, only one player was within 20 yards of him. Bally...who leapt straight into his arms. MOM for a lot of people.
3) Alf Ramsey...the man who said we would win the World Cup and was laughed at. The man who insisted on picking his own team and not allowing an FA committee to do it. The man who stuck by Nobby Stiles when the FA wanted him dropped for his appalling tackle against a Frenchman in the group..." if he goes, I go " The man who had the courage to leave out possibly the best striker in Europe ( Greaves ) from the Final and play the journeymen Hunt and Hurst together. The man who saw all his players sitting shattered on the turf at the end of normal time and went round all of them, dragging them to their feet. He pointed to the Germans, still sitting and told his players..." look, they're finished....you've won this once, now go out and do it again. The man at the end who stayed seated, drained of everything. The man who didn't join in the celebrations with his players..." its their moment " The man who took himself quietly down the tunnel and into English football immortality.

And now they are gone from us...the manager, the captain and the man of the match....nine still stand. Geoff Hurst gets most of the glory but above all, it was a fantastic team effort lead by an extraordinary manager. A man who had the courage of his convictions. A man who knitted some ordinary players around world class talent ( Banks/Moore/Charlton R ) A man who had the courage to change more than once during the tournament. Starting with wingers, perming different wide-men and then abandoning two wingers altogether. A man who deployed his best player ( Bobby Charlton ) to man-mark Franz Beckenbauer in the Final. Charlton was bitterly disappointed but he did it for Alf and the team.
They all pulled together as one. They were doing it for Alf. They would have run through brick walls for him. They loved him.

Brilliantly summed up. The press were criticising Sir Alf's selection but he showed them what he was capable of.I can remember vividly sitting in our living room in Portslade, on the settee, hugging a cushion, and hoping. I went out in Brighton that evening, which was incredible. The whole town had a party atmosphere, everyone was talking about it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Liar, Liar, Liar. Was it his mistake to say June 30 1966? How many football fans support Sunderland AND Newcastle? Where was his constituency? Which teams do they support? How does a public schoolboy appeal to northern working class? Watching football or going to the dogs, which he duly did.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Liar, Liar, Liar. Was it his mistake to say June 30 1966? How many football fans support Sunderland AND Newcastle? Where was his constituency? Which teams do they support? How does a public schoolboy appeal to northern working class? Watching football or going to the dogs, which he duly did.

It was certainly printed as June, not July.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre

So beautifully summarised, bought all the old memories flooding back, oh and a little moistness in the eyes!

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Apart from the England win, the other memory of the competition for me was the sending off of the Argentinian player who pretended? not to understand what the referee was saying and delayed the restart of the game. From this incident came the later introduction of red and yellow cards so that language no longer became a barrier to comprehension.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
The '66 World Cup was a significant watershed in my young life. The first major sports tournament that I was aware of on TV I(in black and white) and was addicted to the coverage. England winning was surreal. Later that year I was taken to watch my first live game at The Goldstone. For years thereafter every spare minute was spent playing or watching footie, jumpers for goalposts etc. Happy days.

The euphoria around the '66 World Cup win was akin to the feeling around the 2012 Olympics, Wiggo winning the TdF, Murray winning Wimbledon etc all rolled into one. Back then there was a real feel good factor with the colour of the sixties sweeping away the grey post war years. The fantastic British music scene also made it a very special time. Moon landings live on TV - everything seemed possible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here