Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good people of NSC - recommend me an autobiography

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Going on holiday in a couple of weeks, and I always like to take a good football autobiography with me to read on the beach over a couple of beers. This year though, I can't seem to find anything that I haven't read before that takes my fancy. Autobiographies that I've read previously and really enjoyed include:

• Gazza
  • Vinnie Jones
  • Tony Adams
  • Paul McGrath
  • John Hartson (never appreciated just how close to death the guy was!)
  • Ian Holloway (sorry)
  • Simon Jordan (really sorry)
  • Barry Fry
  • Andy McLaren (little-known Scottish player, big demons)

The new Craig Bellamy book is apparently very good, but it's not one I'd have ordinarily been itching to read. Any recommendations from you fine people would be much appreciated.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Magnificent Desolation, the autobiography by Buzz Aldrin.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
I know it's not Football, but Andre Agassi's book is kwality! Very honest and 'Open' account of his life.

Craig Bellamy's is quite a decent read as well. You'll change your opinion of him once you've read it. Bellamy is very caring and generous individual off the pitch.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Russell Slade - "I did it my way"

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Danny Baker's book is superb. I was lying on my sunbed crying with laughter at some parts.
Am currently reading Pete Townsend's Who am I . Its good so far.

Feb 21, 2009
Di Canio's is very good after the first two chapters of his childhood (it's quite stretched) if u dont mind ur sport Jason Leonard's is very good as is Joe Calzaghe's prob one of my fave and Bret Hart's is a close interesting insight!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Not football and I guess a fictional autobiography but I, Partridge is hilarious and a good holiday read.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I find that famous footballers' autobiographies tend to be spectacularly inane, with little to raise any genuine interest. I tend to steer clear.

The few genuinely good ones seem to be the lesser known types, like Garry Nelson, purely because they have more of a story to tell (and less of a pushy agent urging them to leave out anything vaguely controversial or amusing).

Poojah, the man who wrote two of the best posts ever written on the internet, I still think of your Internet name every time I hear the word DIGNITAS.

Can't remember the name of it but Churchills bodyguard.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's a bit of an old chestnut now (published 2007 ) but if you can get it it is an awesome read.

Provided You Don't Kiss Me: 20 Years with Brian Clough. Duncan Hamilton

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
I enjoyed Gary Nelson's Left Foot Forward. That's well worth a read as an Albion fan.

I enjoyed 'FA Confidential' by David Davies.

Was going to suggest this. Great insight into the behind-the-scenes goings on of both the FA and England football team from mid 90s to mid 00s! A fascinating read from one of the good guys who've been part of the FA in recent history, with our plight under Archer getting a mention.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Thanks chaps. Had forgotten about the Chris Hargreaves one, rather shamefully as he's a Grimsby lad like me.

Poojah, the man who wrote two of the best posts ever written on the internet, I still think of your Internet name every time I hear the word DIGNITAS.

Ahah, thanks - my keyboard warrior days are now well behind me. Fat lot of good it did the shower of shít that got us relegated out of the football league.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Also- not an autobiography as such, but if you've not read The Damned United yet, it's well worth a look.

And that Brian Clough biog already mentioned.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Not football but the Nigel Benn book 'The Dark Destroyer' is a good read. Quite funny too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here