Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone been to Sorrento?

Ditchboy

Apr 4, 2008
Got a last minute flight to Sorrento. Obviously going to have a look at Pompeii and Napoli but wondered if anyone can recommend anything in and around to see/do. Thanks NSC.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Full of dog shit, used needles and wankers on mopeds when I went so if your from Brighton it should be just like home.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Just got back 3 weeks ago. Some excellent restaurants - particularly try Ristorante S.Antonino, Via S.Maria delle Grazie, 6, 80067 Sorrento, Italy.

We did a food and wine tour (bookable in the town centre), Versuvius - which was a bloody hard walk in 90 degree heat, Herculaneum (?sp), better than Pompeii and less tourists. You can get on the train to Naples. Went to the Isle of Capri, which was beautiful, but really depends on what you're after.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Make sure you visit Positano on the south side of the Amalfi Peninsula, it's absolutely stunning. Sorrento itself I remember being full of English pubs with sky sports, which was fairly horrendous in my opinion.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Popped in for the day in June. Pompeii & Herculaneum you can do on the Sorrento/Naples train. Watch your pockets and valuables, drink loads of water. Pompeii is like walking in a hot stone pizza oven! Capri is a lovely visit, not to be missed, but not cheap. The Amalfi Drive is lovely and try and visit Positano. You can do it by boat too. Go to the Officers Club in the town centre for a drink. Personal preference is a nice drop of Limoncello. Go down the main tourist road with all the touristy shops and there's a lemon everything shop, but a little further down you can buy small bottles of Licorizia or Licorice flavour Limoncello. Tastes like liquid Imps if you remember them. Wonderful. Eating is a bit cheaper off the main drag like most places.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I loved Sorrento, but would give Naples a miss. I would recommend Versuvias as well. Not so sure about Capri, I found it very expensive. Visiting Pompei and Herculaneum is worth it too. Read up on why the Volcanic eruption created two distinct outcomes

If you have access to a car (or can arrange a trip) then I would also recommend travelling further South down the Amalfi coast. In particular google the following:

Positano, Amalfi, Ravello.

I love Italy.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
I must go down to the sea again,
To the lonely sea and the sky,
I left my vest and socks there,
I wonder if they're dry?

S.Milligan

The cathedral is quite something apparently.

Last edited:

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
I loved Sorrento, but would give Naples a miss. I would recommend Versuvias as well. Not so sure about Capri, I found it very expensive. Visiting Pompei and Herculaneum is worth it too. Read up on why the Volcanic eruption created two distinct outcomes

If you have access to a car (or can arrange a trip) then I would also recommend travelling further South down the Amalfi coast. In particular google the following:

Positano, Amalfi, Ravello.

I love Italy.

Exactly, all of this. Also think Italy is great.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
used to work at Sorrento's Italian Resto on Kings Road in 1991. It was run by Greeks

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Went 34 years ago so would imagine it has changed somewhat!

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Exactly, all of this. Also think Italy is great.

I loved Sorrento too but went on a Christmas break. I felt uneasy in Naples (as there are apparently pick pockets and bag snatchers) but everywhere else was fine and love Italy.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Beautiful part of Italy. As mentioned previously, Capri very nice but also very expensive ( the bus to the top of Capri was an experience I seem to remember, looking down at the shear drop whilst hurtling up the road ), Limoncello must be tried at least once and lemons the size of rugby balls ( I kid you not ), The Amalfi coast is stunning. Naples seemed a bit of a sh#thole ( but that is just my opinion ), Pompeii was absolutely memorising but very hot and would recommend two days to look around as there is so much to see. Enjoy.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Sorrento is ok for the views of the Bay of Naples etc, for enjoying the café culture but also is a good base for exploring the historic sites plus as other NSCers suggest the spectacular Amalfi coast is a must. Capri is worth the trip too.

Do make the effort to go by train from Sorrento to Herculanium for the roman ruins however do not go far off piste once there (and certainly not further into Naples, other than the airport) - when we were there a couple of UK tourists got mugged twice in the same street. Street crime is an art there, especially bag snatching and pickpocketing. Be streetwise, use common sense and don't linger longer than necessary. However don't let it put you off enjoying a very colourful and scenic part of Italy.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Last time I went it was full of drunken louts at 10 in the morning! Leering at the local ladies, puking in the streets and playing football against shop windows, full of ********s!

Mind you it was 1990, and England were due to play in Naples the next day. How times change........

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here