Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Half Time, time for a change.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Following on from the new caterers hit or miss thread, the numerous threads about queues and my personal experiences in many grounds over the years, surely it is time to re think the half time experience for all league grounds.
Lets be honest it is a bunfight, many leaving early to get their pints and pies, missing the last 5 minutes of the 1st half, many not returning before the 2nd half starts.
Shoving the pie and pint down your throat, once you get it
Long queues for the toilets (can be very painful)
I would extend half time to 30 minutes (i know this may be a real problem for some at evening matches) and allow food and drink to be consumed in the seats, what difference does it make if you drink on the concourses or in your seat, its time to grow up on this matter.
I dont just mean the Amex, anyone that has been to a packed Brentford or Exeter may understand.
How would you go about it, and would it work for you.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Extend half time because some people can't go 105 minutes without food..?

Surely it would be better to encourage the American method of hot dog venders etc in the stands?

I go for the football and dislike the 15 minutes stop in action, should I be campaigning for the half time to be scrapped completely?

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Oh and food and drink can be consumed in the stands? I've certainly never been in trouble for it! We tend to bring cornish pasties etc along with us for half time...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's only one sensible answer

SAUSAGE TRAIN:-

article-1285850462815-0b69d382000005dc-249142_636x417.jpg

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
The game against Brum last year was great when the flood lights failed, 40 minute half time! Had time for 2 beers and a pie and piss and good chat about the 1st half action!

Leaning towards the sausage train as well, us enthusiasts could even take down the numbers of the different locomotives as they pass by our seats :moo:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Extend half time because some people can't go 105 minutes without food..?

Surely it would be better to encourage the American method of hot dog venders etc in the stands?

I go for the football and dislike the 15 minutes stop in action, should I be campaigning for the half time to be scrapped completely?

To be honest the first part of your post i agree with, only because I get there early, have a couple of pints and a pie followed by a piss just before kick off, so i stay in my seat. I then stay afterwards for a couple more and an easy trip back on the train.
But this obviously does not suit the many thousands who have to queue and/or miss some of the match.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
By now, clubs really should be allowed to use their discretion on whether alcohol can be allowed inside the arena. Heavy penalties if there's trouble as a consequence. That way people could buy their beer early and relax - and drink it slower. I'd have the kiosks shut for the majority of the match though.

As for extending half time. Errr... No.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
By now, clubs really should be allowed to use their discretion on whether alcohol can be allowed inside the arena. Heavy penalties if there's trouble as a consequence. That way people could buy their beer early and relax - and drink it slower. I'd have the kiosks shut for the majority of the match though.

As for extending half time. Errr... No.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Used to be 10, now 15, can't see why 20 wouldn't work...5 mins extra means another easy beer so 25,000 x £4 x 23 = £2,300,000 extra income per season

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Maybe extending half time for Saturday games only is worth considering as it can cause problems for away supporters and those that travel a distance to home games, but of course it would have to be every league ground.
I just think that with the expense of football and the rising costs of food & drink, the whole experience should be improved so at least you feel that you are getting better value for money.
I realise that the club has made the experience better than any other club, by allowing you to stay afterwards and away fans allowed in for a chat, but it can still be improved further, and making half time a better experience is the way ahead, maybe sales would improve if it was not such a rush.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I'm in exactly the same boat but I don't think it's fair to penalise everyone just because we want refreshments.

The solution is to employ people who have fast food serving experience, preferably capable of operating a till.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here