Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

442...?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Anyone else think that might suit the set of players we have a little better? I know it's old fashioned and rigid and English etc. Probably a moot point with Oscar in charge I suppose...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ah, don't worry then. Thread closed. Just like the idea of the likes of Barnes playing a bit closer to Ulloa.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
How would your 4 man midfield line up then out of interest?

I'm guessing...

Lopez ~ Bridcutt ~ Agustien ~ Orlandi
with Barnes and Ulloa up top.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Of course not...

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Stick with the fluid 4-3-3, with David on instead of Barnes. We will have to be on guard against swift counters, until everyone is comfortable with their roles and responsibilities. Should make for exciting viewing :)

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Kush

Greer Upson
Bruno Calde/ Chicksen

Bridcutt Agustein

Buckley Orlandi/ Lua Lua

Barnes

Ulloa

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Ah, don't worry then. Thread closed. Just like the idea of the likes of Barnes playing a bit closer to Ulloa.

Barnes will struggle to get in the side on any sort of regular basis when our shopping is done, I do see Orlandi playing that left side role.

However as you say, getting people nearer Ulloa is key to our success this season , way too isolated much like CMS was.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I think tactically and after watching the Crawley and the Villareal game, people are going to be surprised with the interchanging of positions.

The "False 9" formation was definitely on show during the last two games.

When we had the ball going forward, it was interesting to see Orlandi, Crofts, Ulloa, Buckley & Barnes all interchanging positions so at one point, Orlandi and Crofts were the furthest central players pushed forward and Barnes & Ulloa dropping deeper to collect the ball.

If worked effectively, you create confusion in the defense (as it did in the first half against a good team Saturday). However, it can be a risky strategy to play if the players you have, don't have the intelligence to continually switch and cover.

Gus built a squad intelligent enough to cope with this system so that this evolution under Oscar has the personnel who are able to adapt to it.

If it pays off, we will see brilliant attacking football and lots of goals!

Happy days!

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I'm guessing...

Lopez ~ Bridcutt ~ Agustien ~ Orlandi
with Barnes and Ulloa up top.

Some good footballers but no pace there, (though I don't know about Kemy's pace)

Isn't Agustien more a holding player any way? With a four man mid like that I'd play more of a Diamond so would have to have Bridders or Kemmy, with say Buckley on the right, Orlandi left and Dave spear heading the midfield.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I think tactically and after watching the Crawley and the Villareal game, people are going to be surprised with the interchanging of positions.

The "False 9" formation was definitely on show during the last two games.

When we had the ball going forward, it was interesting to see Orlandi, Crofts, Ulloa, Buckley & Barnes all interchanging positions so at one point, Orlandi and Crofts were the furthest central players pushed forward and Barnes & Ulloa dropping deeper to collect the ball.

If worked effectively, you create confusion in the defense (as it did in the first half against a good team Saturday). However, it can be a risky strategy to play if the players you have, don't have the intelligence to continually switch and cover.

Gus built a squad intelligent enough to cope with this system so that this evolution under Oscar has the personnel who are able to adapt to it.

If it pays off, we will see brilliant attacking football and lots of goals!

Happy days!

This for me as well, was interesting to see the inter changing of positions in the first half against Villareal, infact the more I look at the signing of Kemy and Dave the more it leans towards the 4-3-3 imo.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
How would your 4 man midfield line up then out of interest?

Buckley Bridcutt Agustien/Orlandi Lopez/Orlandi
Barnes Ulloa

Probably. I dunno, just thinking out loud really.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This for me as well, was interesting to see the inter changing of positions in the first half against Villareal, infact the more I look at the signing of Kemy and Dave the more it leans towards the 4-3-3 imo.

My concern with that is whether the players are up with it. No one seemed to know who was helping Calde when their right back doubled up on him in attack. I saw Crofts, Barnes and Orlandi all take a turn at helping out.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Barnes will struggle to get in the side on any sort of regular basis when our shopping is done, I do see Orlandi playing that left side role.

However as you say, getting people nearer Ulloa is key to our success this season , way too isolated much like CMS was.

Bit early to assume that about Barnes. Why'd you say that? He's been pretty prominent in the friendlies, and it looked like our first 11 on Sat, and he was rightfully in there, played well.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004

You could be right...Although you could also go with the following

4 defenders
1 Holding MF (Bridders)
1 Box to Box MF (Agustein, Crofts)
1 Free role (Dave, Orlandi, JFC)
1 floating winger
2 Attackers( one of which covers the other wing when the floating winger changes sides)

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
Oh and one other thing...Expect high pressure/tempo from all midfielders/attackers in the final and middle third when we don't have the ball...which incidentally, will suit CMS' role in the team.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
My concern with that is whether the players are up with it. No one seemed to know who was helping Calde when their right back doubled up on him in attack. I saw Crofts, Barnes and Orlandi all take a turn at helping out.

Thats a good point that I also pointed out in another thread, one concern for me the other night against Villareal was how exposed the our left side looked when they attacked, under gus the wingers slotted in to help the full backs plus the back 4 went narrow. Looked a little more exposed the other night though.

Hoping it's just a mix of a very good team playing against us, the fact that we looked to get forward more so will take risks from time to time and the fact that the players are still getting to grips with this new style under Oscar.

Hoping to have that question answered more at tomorrow nights match.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
You could be right...Although you could also go with the following

4 defenders
1 Holding MF (Bridders)
1 Box to Box MF (Agustein, Crofts)
1 Free role (Dave, Orlandi, JFC)
1 floating winger
2 Attackers( one of which covers the other wing when the floating winger changes sides)

Well Barnes did look a little more central the other night so yes. Also in a proper 4-3-3 the opposite winger to where the ball is should be drifting into the box more centrally to make two upfront, with added support from the attacking midfielder in the team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here