Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Holloway can't take it . . .

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
From "The Argus"

Fan is banned for 'winding up' Crystal Palace boss

8:40am Monday 29th July 2013 in News Photograph of the Author Exclusive By Bill Gardner
Fan is banned for 'winding up' Crystal Palace boss Fan is banned for 'winding up' Crystal Palace boss

A football club’s number one fan has been banished from the stands for “mercilessly winding up” a Premier League manager.

Crawley Town fanatic Paul Prendergast spent most of Saturday’s friendly against Crystal Palace taunting opposition boss Ian Holloway from his seat just yards from the touchline.

But after Palace lost 3-0 to the lower league club, a furious Holloway complained to Crawley,which has now banned Mr Prendergast for four home games.

Yesterday Mr Prendergast resigned his position as chairman of the Crawley Town Supporters’ Alliance, saying it would “cause too many issues” for him to stay.

But fellow fans said his behaviour was “just Paul being Paul”.

Ian Townsend, spokesmanfor the Crawley Town Supporters’ Alliance, said Mr Prendergast had been banned for “pushing Holloway’s buttons”.

He said: “Paul has been sat in that same seat behind the opposition manager for the last 16 years and to be honest he does tend to wind them up mercilessly.

“On Saturday he could see that Ian Holloway was getting hot under the collar when Palace started losing so he started making some observations about the quality of their team.

“There were probably a few expletives used, but he wasn’t being rude. Some other fans might have been ribbing Holloway about his West Country accent but that wasn’t Paul.

“The problem was that he worked out which button to press, pushed it and then wouldn’t remove his finger - until it all went wrong.”

Mr Holloway withstood Mr Prendergast’s taunts for most of the match until Crawley’s third goal went in, when he finally snapped.

According to fans, the manager whipped round to face his tormentor and yelled “Why don’t you shut up?”

When the final whistle blew, the enraged Palace boss marched straight to the stewards and demanded that Mr Prendergast be punished.

A spokesman for Crawley Town said: “Ian Holloway made the complaint and the club followed it up.

“He wasn’t happy and it was noted by the stewards and the head of security. Mr Prendergast was spoken to and subsequently banned for four games.

“We had a duty to act to preserve the integrity of the club.”

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
If it wasn't for it being against Palace then I'd probably think it was a reasonable step, especially as what was said isn't in the public domain.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Sounds like a reasonable response. Managers should be allowed to concentrate on the game, not WUMs in the crowd.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Let' face it , Holloway's not going to last the season. In fact it'll be a miracle if he makes it to Christmas.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Sounds like a reasonable response. Managers should be allowed to concentrate on the game, not WUMs in the crowd.

Really? Surely coping with the fans that pay their money at the turnstiles is all part of being a professional sportsman or manager. Assuming that stuff being shouted doesn't cross the line of acceptability of course; eg racism etc.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Embarrassing as always! What a bad loser.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Really? Surely coping with the fans that pay their money at the turnstiles is all part of being a professional sportsman or manager. Assuming that stuff being shouted doesn't cross the line of acceptability of course; eg racism etc.

Indeed. If it was racist, homophobic, etc it would be worthy of longer ban. If he's just swearing and abusing him I don't see how that's different to what goes on at every game, and surely the first instance following a complaint shouold be a warning from a steward to tone it down?

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
The stark truth is, the fan is probably right about his remarks regarding the quality of Palace atm. They've made virtually no hair-raising signings, and looked crap with Zaha....

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
As long as the chap wasn't racist or directly offensive to Holloway I don't see what the problem is. I think it speaks volumes for how the manager is feeling right now. He may as well book a nice long holiday over Christmas now.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Indeed. If it was racist, homophobic, etc it would be worthy of longer ban. If he's just swearing and abusing him I don't see how that's different to what goes on at every game, and surely the first instance following a complaint shouold be a warning from a steward to tone it down?

If it was homophobic, eff all would be done about-maybe he should have been giving Wurzel some 'homo' abuse, then he'd still be allowed in Broadfield with no problems?

This will be music to the ears of their opponent's fans this season. Hopefully.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Can't wait to hear what Holloway has got to say in his 'look at me!' friday afternoon press conferences this season.

Yawn

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Can't wait to hear what Holloway has got to say in his 'look at me!' friday afternoon press conferences this season.

Yawn

Something along the lines of "Ooo ar, them orrible fans las week, right wound me up they did. I'm telling on 'em and anyone else 'oo makes I angry"

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Sounds like the Crawley fan is a bit of an idiot, but then Holloway should be able to rise above it. I think he has form for this sort of thing. Didn't he have a go a Southampton fans, when they sung "Premiership your having a laugh" when they play his Blackpool side.

Gus for all his faults used to deal with fan abuse very well. I remember Southampton fans giving him loads of stick. When we were loosing two nil at their place. They were singing "Poyet what's the score" He turn round shrugged and held up two fingers (not abusive two fingers) and a zero with the other hand and turn around again. They shut up after that.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Can't really comment on what the fan did or said as we only have this report. But it does strike me that after years of Holloway playing the clown, and inviting attention for his "hilarious" approach to the game and life in general, he has come across as a humourless buffoon in recent times. He constructed the public persona, but suddenly seems incapable of living inside it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here