Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Can we win promotion with this squad?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think we can.

We finished 4th with a squad that is much the same as it is now, with the obvious addition of a top quality left back. However, we were the second best team in 2013 I think, and we appear strong (strength in depth) in some key areas, notably up front. I'm also convinced that OG is going to be an easy sell to decent but fringe players at BIG clubs in England and Spain who want some game time, especially with the World Cup coming up. I really do quite fancy us this year. Especially as I'm no longer a season ticket holder. :(

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Yes. With extra strength in midfield, Ulloa full season, Lopez flying. Lost Bridge but losing a left back shouldn't make a whole heap of difference if you replace him with at least a capable one, especially if we start playing with two mobile DMs.
They just need to adopt the new style quickly.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
I think we can.

We finished 4th with a squad that is much the same as it is now, with the obvious addition of a top quality left back. However, we were the second best team in 2013 I think, and we appear strong (strength in depth) in some key areas, notably up front. I'm also convinced that OG is going to be an easy sell to decent but fringe players at BIG clubs in England and Spain who want some game time, especially with the World Cup coming up. I really do quite fancy us this year. Especially as I'm no longer a season ticket holder. :(

Ask me when the Transfer Window shuts. To see who we've brought in and where we've strengthened. Because at the moment, we are light certainly light in areas such as midfield. Plus IMO our start is relatively quite tough as well.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I'm quietly confident. It sounds like Kemy's a bit of an upgrade on Hammond and hopefully we'll bring in a reasonable replacement for Bridge; I'd be happy with Cech.

I don't understand the pessimism in some people. Our defence was excellent last year, especially after Upson joined. If Ulloa hits the ground running, I don't see why we won't be challenging.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes, if we strengthen midfield, get a left back, and get another striker - particularly if it really is true Hoskins is out for the remainder of his contract.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Get a quality left back in to replace Bridge and I have every faith that we can be right up there.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Other teams have spent money and the teams that came down could be strong. Last year was a very weak league (see the final points totals and closeness of the teams).

We have a chance but I think it will swing on who/if we sign a couple more players. Bridge is a very big loss I believe. So as of today - not as strong as last season - but with a couple of decent signings we'll expect to be in the mix. Doubt we'll get promotion sadly.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The squad is great, we know that. Built over three years, all schooled in a style of football that has proved very hard to beat, and with the addition of Ulloa, dangerous at the other end as well.

So yes, the squad is capable of promotion (although don't underestimate the loss of Bridge), BUT, we are now about to change our tactics, we have completely changed the management team and backroom staff, and the league appears stronger than last year. So just assessing the squad is not enough to assess our chances of promotion.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Our style of play is incredibly reliant on strong full backs. I've not seen us play under Garcia yet but I don't imagine it'll be a million miles from the Poyet way. When we walked league one it's because Gus bought in Painter and Calde. In the championship we instantly upgraded to Bruno and Bridge.

I'm not saying we won't do it, but we really need to sign a MUCH more assured LB in my eyes. At least if we want to mount a serious challenge.

Also worth remembering a season is a marathon, I think we're too light in midfield to go the distance at the moment. A tough run of games or an injury to Bridcutt and we're looking to the Development Squad.

Although obviously having Ulloa from the outset will be a massive plus and I'm certain he'll make waves this year.

But promotion? Not a chance until we sign more CMs and an experienced and assured LB.

Also, the harmony of the backroom staff is important as it effects the whole atmosphere around the club. I'd say Garcia has a job on his hands with that side of things. Happenings are not over-positive behind the scenes at the moment.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Doubt we'll get promotion sadly.
You could say that about any team really. When was the last time a team was odd-on for promotion at the bookies at the start of the season?

I think Reading are my favourites. I'd say any team that finishes above them will be promoted. QPR don't impress me - they have a dinosaur in charge whose luck has finally run out. And I'm not convinced that Bolton, Leeds, Forest, Leicester or Blackburn are any better than us.

Some of the lower/mid table table teams will be better (Millwall, Derby, Blackpool) and so will Charlton, but I still fancy us to finish ahead of all of them.

Edit: I'm kind of assuming Spanish Dave will be back, and a competent left back is signed.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
As it stands, no. That's not to say our strongest current line-up couldn't do it, but whilst looking down the squad list at Villareal I was struck by how many players (and depth) we've lost.

I may not have rated Painter or Dicker (for example) but they weren't terrible and could be relied on when needed...we're lacking that back-up now.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Other teams have spent money and the teams that came down could be strong. Last year was a very weak league (see the final points totals and closeness of the teams).

Don't quite see how that indicates that the league was weak.

This year will be a similar quality to last year IMO. So yes, I think that the potential for us to get promoted is there with the current squad.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Don't quite see how that indicates that the league was weak.

This year will be a similar quality to last year IMO.

Don't forget there was a quite a bit of turmoil at the likes of Bolton, Blackburn, Leeds and Forest though, all of which had good squads underneath the management shambles. That looks sorted at at least two of those, if not the lot. Leicester and Watford were good sides last year who have stability and will surely strengthen further, and the teams that came down - QPR could unravel if Harry leaves, but equally they could destroy the division. Reading and Wigan look well-placed to challenge.

So I make that at least six sides, and possibly nine, who appear stronger than us to me. Boro can never be ruled out and both Ipswich and Millwall seem to have something good going on. Can Powell continue the Charlton rise and will Wednesday be stronger this year? At least there appears to be nothing special about the teams coming up.

I think it will be just as fluid a division as last year and unlike last year I think we 'll be caught up in the maelstrom in the middle of the pack, I couldn't guess which way we'll be spat out at the end.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
yes we can and because of the fact that some of our Development Squad players are better now than a year ago.

Having watched the likes of March, Dickenson & Ince - All of which I think will be good Championship players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here