Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lads mags told to cover up in the CO-OP

• Thread starter Deleted member 22389
  • Start date

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
To win the feminist pound. I really can't see anything wrong with a woman in a bikini myself. In fact I'm sure there are plenty of issues of Cosmo (or similar) with attractive bikini clad women on the front cover.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Can they do the same for Men's Health Magazine then? Completely topless men OFFEND me.

What am I supposed to tell my children when they see this?
mh-cover-0808-753410.jpg

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
To win the feminist pound. I really can't see anything wrong with a woman in a bikini myself. In fact I'm sure there are plenty of issues of Cosmo (or similar) with attractive bikini clad women on the front cover.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Agreed.

Maybe the womens 'story' weeklies that carry banners like 'Daddy raped me while Mum was working' or 'Boss forced me to have sex to get a wage increase' (actual banners) should be put in modesty bags too. :shrug:

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
I have five daughters and naturally worry about the pressures on girls to look what society pushes as beautiful.

However, adult life is ultimately all about reproduction and sexual attraction sells. I appreciate a good looking lady as much as the next man and don't have a problem with these magazines on the top shelf away from children's view.

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
The "top shelf" at most co-ops that I've seen is well within eyesight of children though. They don't have magazines all up the wall like a proper newsagents, they have a little display rack maybe 5ft tall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I have five daughters and naturally worry about the pressures on girls to look what society pushes as beautiful.

Don't these pressures come from sources other than these magazines? TV shows like [Insert Country Name Here]'s Next Top Model, any of the crap 'talent' shows and singers like Beyonce and Rhianna are far more likely to make girls feel pressured into looking 'beautiful'. The TV commercials for female beauty products, (which seem to be on during every commercial break time) put much more pressure on girls to look better.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Agreed.

Maybe the womens 'story' weeklies that carry banners like 'Daddy raped me while Mum was working' or 'Boss forced me to have sex to get a wage increase' (actual banners) should be put in modesty bags too. :shrug:

Absolutely don't forget the celebrities with cellulite that is a disgrace to look at surely they have to be covered up.

sherrinned

Aug 12, 2003
West Worthing
How about we all contact the advertising standards council about sexist ads on tv? You know the ones, man flu by Boots, strippers by maltesers etc. I find them particularly offensive...

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
Don't these pressures come from sources other than these magazines? TV shows like [Insert Country Name Here]'s Next Top Model, any of the crap 'talent' shows and singers like Beyonce and Rhianna are far more likely to make girls feel pressured into looking 'beautiful'. The TV commercials for female beauty products, (which seem to be on during every commercial break time) put much more pressure on girls to look better.

Yes they do.

I think it's just a case of everything in moderation. Girls are definitely subjected to far to much pressure to look skinny and beautiful from the saturation of practically everything visual in society.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I thought they only ever catered for those who didn't have the bottle to buy a jazz mag :shrug:

Indeed.

Whilst I believe sexism is alive and well, I reckon this 'everydaysexism' movement on Twitter is going too far. The 'nomorepage3' campaign is similarly daft - she's representing herself and not the entire womenfolk. Live and let live.

Stuart Broad made a joke about the standard of the girlfirends in the Wimbledon final and got torrents of abuse from feminists via the everydaysexism movement along with calls for Boris to reisgn after his poorly executed university comment.

Last edited:

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Fair play to them for reacting to customer feedback. I don't personally see the issue but it's good to see a shop actually listen (and act).

I do wonder why Stuff, T3, Women's Health are any different though?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Indeed.

Whilst I believe sexism is alive and well, I reckon this 'everydaysexism' movement on Twitter is going too far. The 'nomorepage3' campaign is similarly daft - she's representing herself and not the entire womenfolk. Live and let live.

Stuart Broad made a joke about the standard of the girlfirends in the Wimbledon final and got torrents of abuse from feminists via the everydaysexism movement along with calls for Boris to reisgn after his poorly executed university comment.

Maybe it is now time for men to start our own campaign group?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Yes they do.

I think it's just a case of everything in moderation. Girls are definitely subjected to far to much pressure to look skinny and beautiful from the saturation of practically everything visual in society.

To be fair, you could say men are too - just we dont think everything is sexist against us. The Mags are on the top shelf in a co-op, about 5 ft high. No small child unless they are the same height as me (5ft 8) would be able to see them and by the time they are old enough to see them, around 12/13 - they would have already seen a pair of tits somewhere else anyway.

It does amount to censorship at the end of the day, women want these mags banned, but the Cosmo and Elle magazines for example are probably worse for making women feel "insecure". Lets be honest here, how many women also actually read these magazines ?

If they want women covered up in magazines, how long will it be before these "feminists" start saying women should never wear bikinis and cover up in public, because its degrading to other women - jesus wept :facepalm:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Maybe it is now time for men to start our own campaign group?

I thought their campaign was decent to begin with. They were focusing on ads that glamorised or made things like abuse and rape acceptable. It's snowballed in to calls to censor any sort of 'humour' that the movement do not agree with.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
What with this news, and Lord Snooty banning digital scud last week, I'm gonna have to head out after work to find some grummer torn up under a hedge :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here