Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tories plan to legalise parking on double yellow lines

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...e-yellow-lines-to-help-save-high-streets.html

Have they gone MAD? Are they so STUPID that they don't realise that a 15 minute "grace period" for one car will be followed by another car taking its 15 minutes?

It's to help shopkeepers, apparently.

And what's Norman Baker on?

Norman Baker, the Liberal Democrat transport minister, said: "We are keen to ensure that the High Street works for businesses by stopping people parking illegally for hours on end. I have been in discussions with other colleagues from government about how we can best take decisions on this forward".

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
I would love to find out how they investigate and draft out policy...I swear their research is done by a blindman on speed asking trees whether or not accessibility in their local high street is an issue to them or not!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I would welcome anything that looks into helping High Street retailers,blue badge holders can park for 3 hours on double yellow lines so maybe exploring or looking into this idea has merits.The sky high parking charges the motorist has to pay to go shopping would seem to be the biggest deterrent however.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
People don't shop much in towns because the stores in towns are crap and you can park far easier in out of town centres. If you want to visit a bunch of charity stores then visit a town centre. Rather than allow a free for all on double yellows, ensure there are better rents and rates for those that have stores in towns. Eric PicKles is probably just thinking how he can save walking so far and allowing him to park on double yellows will help him. The guy is a prize prat. Never forget his comment that weekly bin collections are a basic (or fundamental, whichever press you read) human right!!!!!

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Flawed, but at least someone's trying to think which makes a pleasant change.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Places like Brighton and Lewes need a serious rethink on parking as I think half of the traffic is just looking for somewhere to park. A lot of people can't walk long distances so they use out of town retail parks. Even in Seaford where you can park anywhere it would run so much better if the spaces near the town centre were 20 minute limit instead of 2 hours. Most shoppers just want to pick up a few bits and move on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Was it Richard Rogers who predicts cars will be banned from all city/town centres in 20 years time? Why not start now?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that they should permit this parking for a very limited time like 30 mins or 1 hour with no return in 3 hours, but they would need to employ more parking wardens to enforce it. If this idea comes to fruition why not do away with double yellow lines altogether and replace them with single.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
In Hailsham there are free car parks,no wardens,High St parking is available...most people respect the double yellow...yes you get the odd one that parks on them but you get that everywhere. Bravo WDC.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I would love to find out how they investigate and draft out policy...I swear their research is done by a blindman on speed asking trees whether or not accessibility in their local high street is an issue to them or not!

thats just the thing i dont think government does draft policy anymore, they just float an idea in the media and gauge the responce. under Blair there was the focus group and Brown dropped them and now its simple straight to the press.

this is clearly a bonkers idea, utterly unworkable and it wont happen. if you have a high street where they could do with more parking, councils can remove the yellow lines and put in place 15min restriction instead. if Pickles is concerned about parking cost and fines, mandate that councils cant charge for local parking.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
this is clearly a bonkers idea, utterly unworkable and it wont happen. if you have a high street where they could do with more parking, councils can remove the yellow lines and put in place 15min restriction instead. if Pickles is concerned about parking cost and fines, mandate that councils cant charge for local parking.
Very much this, and exactly what I was going to say.

....... A lot of people ARE TOO BONE IDLE to walk long distances so they use out of town retail parks.
Surely if you genuinely can't walk "a long distance" (for many this would seem to be any distance exceeding front door to car) you would have a blue badge??

Places like Brighton and Lewes need a serious rethink on parking as I think half of the traffic is just looking for somewhere to park. A lot of people can't walk long distances so they use out of town retail parks. Even in Seaford where you can park anywhere it would run so much better if the spaces near the town centre were 20 minute limit instead of 2 hours. Most shoppers just want to pick up a few bits and move on.
That's CERTAINLY not the case any more in Lewes, as far as regular visitors to the town are concerned. Most of us now know where to park and go straight there - no longer driving around hopefully looking out for somewhere free and clogging up the streets as we do so. The few short-term spaces (on School Hill for example) are also much easier to get into, now that the time limits are properly enforced.

From the point of view of those of us who live around Lewes and use it as the "market town" it's supposed to be, the parking scheme is, frankly, much, much better than what went before. And shopping is much more pleasant.

I think that they should permit this parking for a very limited time like 30 mins or 1 hour with no return in 3 hours, but they would need to employ more parking wardens to enforce it. If this idea comes to fruition why not do away with double yellow lines altogether and replace them with single.
Because double yellow lines have very important functions. They ban parking where it poses a road safety threat. And they ban parking where it causes congestion and delays to traffic.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...e-yellow-lines-to-help-save-high-streets.html

Have they gone MAD? Are they so STUPID that they don't realise that a 15 minute "grace period" for one car will be followed by another car taking its 15 minutes?

It's to help shopkeepers, apparently.

And what's Norman Baker on?

Norman Baker, the Liberal Democrat transport minister, said: "We are keen to ensure that the High Street works for businesses by stopping people parking illegally for hours on end. I have been in discussions with other colleagues from government about how we can best take decisions on this forward".

I'm all in favour of people being allowed to park for a few minutes outside High Street shops providing it's not dangerous and doesn't cause serious delays to passing traffic. For example, most serious parking-related delays (as against brief hold-ups) in Hurstpierpoint High Street are caused not by people stopping outside the convenience store but by those parking further down the road so that drivers entering the ad hoc 'pinch point' can't see to the end of it. Stop all parking in this High Street (and others I'm sure) and you'll (a) damage the local shops and (b) increase the speed of through traffic by a measurable amount and make the High Street a more dangerous and less pleasant place for the shoppers and people who live there.

I'm sure bus drivers and other through-drivers would prefer the highway to be clear but they live somewhere else.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I would say it's unbelievable but it's the Tories. Some fat Tory twunt obviously got a ticket for parking on yellows and whinged about it to his bellend peers. One big society.

The high street is dead. Not because of parking but because it's cheaper and easier to shop online or go to a superstore and get everything at once.

The future for high streets is entertainment, not shopping. And by that I mean bars, restaurants etc.

Wake up and smell the mustard people. This isn't the 1960's and no one wants to buy bread from the baker and meat from the butcher.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lincolnshire hasn't ever had any traffic enforcement until late last year.

It was deemed a job for the police, who didn't police it, as they were busy.

Finally Traffic wardens were appointed, and all hell broke lose.

A shop owner was on Richard Bacon's show complaining of the loss of trade because of the traffic wardens, then went on to say 'well we do get more traffic through as people can now no longer leave their cars for the day'.

http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk...tory-19563045-detail/story.html#axzz2aQ8oOQGm

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The high street is dead. Not because of parking but because it's cheaper and easier to shop online or go to a superstore and get everything at once.

The future for high streets is entertainment, not shopping. And by that I mean bars, restaurants etc.

Wake up and smell the mustard people. This isn't the 1960's and no one wants to buy bread from the baker and meat from the butcher.
I disagree.

Maybe the High Street as it was is dead, maybe those that haven't moved on are, but if you're prepared to put the effort in the High Street still works.

I live in a large village, who's High Street has had a fairly dramatic upheaval, but there's only 1 or 2 vacant shops, out of maybe 100.
I assume the Parish Council have been very aggressive with their rent/rates.

The parking is free, for an hour.
It's compact.
There are no new charity shops or 'poundlands'.
It supports a Co-Op & Tesco Express
Restaurants, cafe's, coffee shops.
Plus everything else you need, the butchers, the bakers, the ironmongers, and so on.
All either national brands a tiny WHSmith or local artisans.

We got a new double fronted sweet shop, last week. :rave: happy days.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here