Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The H Bar Closes its doors!!

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
The small club with a big heart that punched well above its weight in terms of line ups sadly shut it doors for the final time last night.
This hidden gem of a place had a unique little vibe and brought with it the spirit of the old Zap, Escape and early Honeyclub in the most unlikely of locations.

The list of DJ's that played there over the last 3 years reads like a who's who of the very best of the underground scene (and some not so underground) including Fat Boy Slim,Judge Jules, Seb Fountaine, , Randall, Brandon Block, Reset Robot, Woody Van Eyden, Seamus Haji, Terry Francis, John ‘00’ Fleming, Nookie, Nicky Black Market, John Askew, Evil Nine, Slipmatt, Matt Hardwick, Timo Garcia, Tidy boys, Billy Nasty, Oliver Lang, Mr. C, Micky Finn, Kenny Ken and many more.

It was a great closing party. I left at 2.00 am at that pivotal point where you either leave then or run with the action and crawl out at 9.00am (those days are now past me)

Great little club - I know a few other people go from this board and I doubt that there are very many (if any) bad memories.

Best of luck to Faisal and the team in finding a new club!

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
How come it closed down? Never went there myself but heard there was a lot of drug trade going on there and tended to attract a load of w@nkers.

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
Sold! As for what you heard - well bearing in mind who the owner was, you would have to be a complete idiot to "trade" as you suggest.

Great clubbing crowd - simple as that.

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
Was my experience.

Any idea if that's the end of JOOF nights or they will find new venue?

They are actively looking and I think they may have found somewhere - keep an eye on their Facebook pages. My memory of last nights discussions is a tiny bit hazy!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
How come it closed down? Never went there myself but heard there was a lot of drug trade going on there and tended to attract a load of w@nkers.

Its the alcohol that attract plenty of wankers in the club scene IMO.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Its the alcohol that attract plenty of wankers in the club scene IMO.

Yup... Used to enjoy going out clubbing in the E days, most are just full of coked up beer heads looking for a scrap these days so don't really bother now.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I used to work with the guy that did a lot of the marketing and promo for the place, he used to love the place. Shame it closed.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
including Fat Boy Slim,Judge Jules, Seb Fountaine, , Randall, Brandon Block, Reset Robot, Woody Van Eyden, Seamus Haji, Terry Francis, John ‘00’ Fleming, Nookie, Nicky Black Market, John Askew, Evil Nine, Slipmatt, Matt Hardwick, Timo Garcia, Tidy boys, Billy Nasty, Oliver Lang, Mr. C, Micky Finn, Kenny Ken and many more.

DJ names are hilarious. Most of these sound like they're straight out of an episode of Brass Eye or The Day Today.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
That's a real shame. As you say the place used to attract some really big names, often bigger than you'd expect for somewhere so small and off the beaten track. I always had a great time in there and it certainly felt like the standard of crowd was just that bit more "serious" than your average seafront bar hopping meatheads. People went there for the music and that's what clubbing should be about.

I hope the guys behind it can find something new. The only negative with the H Bar was its location at the wrong end of town. Perhaps if they could shift their focus eastwards?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here