Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pub recommendations in Rottingdean please

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Sunday lunch for a group of blokes. Garden option would be nice. It appears that the Plough, the Queen Victoria and Ye Olde Black Horse are the three best.

Any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations welcome.

Thank you, NSC.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I would also vote Plough. Followed by the Vic.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I like the black horse for its 'ye old' quality and its got lovely nooks and crannies. The food is good but not as good value as the plough for what you get. All the pubs have their place there. It's the plough for a sofisticated lunch, the black horse for a cheeky winter pint, the Victoria for its lavish ott decor the coach for down to earth drinking or the white horse to have a sundowner or somewhere to let your kids run around. All good!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Interesting, and reassuring ... No-one suggested the White Horse.

yes they did. captain sensible got it spot on. can be great when the suns out. alright tinkers rucksack might not be playing and the beard count might be low, but it is very well used and liked by locals.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
yes they did. captain sensible got it spot on. can be great when the suns out. alright tinkers rucksack might not be playing and the beard count might be low, but it is very well used and liked by locals.

White Horse was my local and on Sundays we would drink with several players of the era.

Got a week ban once for letting off a fire extinguisher in there, bit naughty but bloody funny

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven

The seating arm although attached to the car park is council owned and your free to sit there with beer from the coach or tesco!

Can't stand the airport lounge of the white.

I also find the managers of the black to be rude.

Plough for food.
Vic for drinking.
Coach for sports and a few drinks.

Rest not worth going in IMO.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I like all 4. You can't go wrong really.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Drumstick knows his stuff. He lives in the middle of all of them.

For what it's worth:

Plough: shit (Food alright)
Black: shit
Coach house: shit
White: very shit
Vic: OK. Better for drinking than food.

A couple of years ago the Black horse used to be brilliant. New owners killed it in my opinion.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Plough is nice to sit out in the (albeit tiny) beer garden on a nice day. Black Horse for banter with locals. Queen Vic used to have a bit of a druggie problem but I understand they've cleaned up their act in recent years. White Horse is a dive.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
The Black Horse has been quality the last year or so, but all of a sudden the manager has got a bee in his bonnet about anyone under the age of about 53.

A bit further down the coast, The Spanish Lady is about to undergo a massive (and very long overdue) makeover. Changing the name to The Lifeboat and gutting the interior apparently.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
The Black Horse has been quality the last year or so, but all of a sudden the manager has got a bee in his bonnet about anyone under the age of about 53.

A bit further down the coast, The Spanish Lady is about to undergo a massive (and very long overdue) makeover. Changing the name to The Lifeboat and gutting the interior apparently.

The Black has been my local for years but last Christmas my friend got a round in, only for the manager to not let us drink it or have a refund because we'd gone in too late. May have let it go if he'd been polite about it but he literally snatched the pint out of my hand and took it away. Haven't bothered going back since!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
The seating arm although attached to the car park is council owned and your free to sit there with beer from the coach or tesco!

Can't stand the airport lounge of the white.

I also find the managers of the black to be rude.

Plough for food.
Vic for drinking.
Coach for sports and a few drinks.

Rest not worth going in IMO.

agreed. Darren's sometimes kept it locals only for a big England game, gives it an air of exclusivity.

Got to watch your language in the Coach though, loud swearing very frowned upon. they keep the mixture of locals and tourist trade happy quite cleverly.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
The Black has been my local for years but last Christmas my friend got a round in, only for the manager to not let us drink it or have a refund because we'd gone in too late. May have let it go if he'd been polite about it but he literally snatched the pint out of my hand and took it away. Haven't bothered going back since!

The new bloke running the Spanish has got the pubs together and started a local pub watch, which in retrospect is a good idea as it puts the fear into anyone likely to play up, as if you are barred from one of the boozers in Rottingdean or Saltdean now you are barred from the lot. However the bloke running the Black Horse seems to have taken it upon himself to be a prick to people he doesn't like the look of, safe in the knowledge if they bite back he can bar them from every local pub. Horrible little bloke.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I don't go in regularly - but now all the pubs in Rottingdean look ok to me. The 'orse never recovered from replacing Harveys with Greene King - only been in there a couple of times since. I was told the other day their food was improved.

Back in the day it was easier. 'Orse - best pub around by a country mile, Plough - Dean Court Toffs, Vic - drinkers and games (and packed with St Dunstans getting pissed this time of year), White Horse - unfriendly yobs pub, Rottingdean Club - wierd.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here