Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TAKING the bookies to the cleaners-Your best punt...

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
I was having a discussion earlier about times I have outwitted the bookies. There are only a few.

My best moment was when they were offering stupid odds of 9/1 for England to win the Sydney test in 2002/03. The series had already been won by Australia, Warne and McGrath weren't playing, and Sydney is England's most successful overseas ground.

I had a punt and cleaned up as England won the test.

I was wondering what the best educated punts the NSC gamblers have ever made were.

Last edited:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I was having a discussion earlier about times I have outwitted the bookies. There are only a few.

My best moment was when they were offering stupid odds of 9/1 for England to win the Sydney test in 2002/03. The series had already been won by Australia, Warne and McGrath weren't playing, and Sydney is England's most successful overseas ground.

I had a punt and cleaned up as England won the test.

I was wondering what the best punts the NSC gamblers have ever made were.

Aurora's Encore in 2013 National @ 100/1. Happy days.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
After TIMERS delight, ANYONE can BOAST of a winning BET afterwards
Of the threads posted on NSC BEFORE the event I have tipped:-

Ryder Hesjedal - 500/1 2nd @ Amstel Gold.
Roger Federer to lose early at Wimbledon - 100/1
Chris Froome Tour de France - 33/1 2nd. (last year smarty pants)
Rigoberto Uran - 80/1 2nd Giro d'Italia.

There was at least one other 100+/1, at the moment I can't remember it.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Lennox Lewis Vs Evander Holyfield 50/1 draw

Bobby Zamora 25/1 Div 2 top scorer 2001/02 season I won over £1700 on my E/W bet.The previous year I had £50 E/W on the Albion to win Div 3 at 10/1.

Using Oddschecker I realised that betting on all three outcomes of the Amir Khan Vs Barrera contest I couldn't lose. Unfortunately the bookies had a £500 ceiling so profit wasn't huge, but I won £100 without taking any risks as regardless of the result I was in profit.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
The unheard of Van de Velde each way at that Open (Carnoustie 99). 150/1. He'd done really well in qualifying so i thought why not. **** shot a six (or was it a seven) at the last got in the creek and lost in the play off. Still won the e/w part

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
In an attempt to brush up on my language skill I was listening to a french radio station one night shortly before the Euro 2004 tournament. They were interviewing Jacques Santini who said that after the tournament he would be taking up the managers role at a London team in the Prem. Lumped everything in my betfair account onto the Spurs market at odds as long as 70-1, next day he was 1-3. closed some of the market and let some run. total stake circa £60, net winnings over £2,000. Which was nice.

Eksman

Aug 9, 2012
On the toilet
My best was a score cast of 96/1 I Originally stuck a fiver on but changed it to 2 quid. Still a very nice profit. It was a 3-1 Chelsea win and Torres to score first. Forgot who they where playing now but that's the best odds I've ever won at

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Didn't actually get on it myself but told a mate (who'd just lost the best part of a grand backing Scotland to get a result in Lithuania or similar, the numpty) to get on Australia to win at Wembley about a decade back, in the game where Sven had announced in advance that he'd be making 11 changes at half time, whereas the Aussies, as well as being a pretty handy side at the time, were well up for the contest. The bookies didn't seem to change their odds even after Sven's announcement, and my mate cleaned up backing an Aussie win (any score) at around 9-1.

Should have put some cash on myself of course, but can't quite bring myself to bet on Australia to beat England in any sport. Would be like backing Palace against us - I don't care about the money, it's not going to happen.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Didn't actually get on it myself but told a mate (who'd just lost the best part of a grand backing Scotland to get a result in Lithuania or similar, the numpty) to get on Australia to win at Wembley about a decade back, in the game where Sven had announced in advance that he'd be making 11 changes at half time, whereas the Aussies, as well as being a pretty handy side at the time, were well up for the contest. The bookies didn't seem to change their odds even after Sven's announcement, and my mate cleaned up backing an Aussie win (any score) at around 9-1.

Should have put some cash on myself of course, but can't quite bring myself to bet on Australia to beat England in any sport. Would be like backing Palace against us - I don't care about the money, it's not going to happen.

Wasn't that at Upton Park ? 2-0 I think

Lovecake

Jul 23, 2011
Had Mon Mome at 100/1 in the national in 2009 but that was a pure fluke.

My best tip of recent times was Sabine Lisicki to win Wimbledon at 80/1. Had £15 ew on and sadly she came second but I loved following her through the tournament. If only she'd held her nerve she'd have won the final. She's a class grass player and was nuts to have her at such long odds in my opinion.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
£2 on McShane / 1-0 scorecast @ 285/1. Shared with a thread on here before the game, and taken up by half a dozen others, including Turkey and afters.

And an extra £1 @ 40/1 just on the FGS.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Roger Federer to lose early at Wimbledon - 100/1

100/1 for Federer to lose 'early'? I take it that was a mistake on the bookies part.

I've never seen anyone be anywhere near 100/1 to beat Federer.... let alone a market on it offering those odds.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
100/1 for Federer to lose 'early'? I take it that was a mistake on the bookies part.

I've never seen anyone be anywhere near 100/1 to beat Federer.... let alone a market on it offering those odds.
Yeah he was 100/1 to lose 3-1 or it might have been 3-0.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here