Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My experience at the VillaReal game.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
PIES.
I'm a ST holder in the Upper East so NOT an occasional supporter.
12 months ago the queues for food were long and the food, if available, was just edible. By mid season last year the queues were quick and always plenty of choice and that's how it went on.
Last night was an awful, disgusting shambles. Arriving about 6:50 all the West stand refreshment queues were very long. We tried the third kiosk along having entered from the north end. Having got to the front there was no food, NOTHING AT ALL. We had a couple of Harveys and they were warm (I know the joke but Harveys should be cool not warm). Whilst standing around we decided to join the queue for the end kiosk. But on getting to the front only the special pies left. The new caterers had better be ready for the first game of the season because last night did not work. Casual supporters, who made up the majority of the crowd, may put up with a shambles but the regulars will not and heated arguments will ensue.
By now we were late for kick off so knocked back the pints and went to find our seats only to be told a fifteen minute delay. Is there not a PA system in the AMEX to alert those in the concourse of any delays.
The only good part of last night was that I caught the train from Lewes and may do so again for evening KO's.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
But apart from that did you enjoy yourself?

I tend to go to a football match primarily to watch a game of football.

The pies were nice though and it was kind of the stewards in the west to let me know kick off had been delayed. It meant I didn't have to rush my pint.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Maybe it's just me but whenever I see a complaint about food/beer/ service it always seems to be in the West Stand.

I was in the ESL last night and they seem to have plenty of pies when I got there, ok they were all in the wrong boxes (ordered 2 x Balti, 1 x S&A and 1 X Chk & Chorizo) and ended up with 4 x Chk & Chorizo even though the boxes were marked with what we ordered, but plenty on sale nether the less.

Maybe its a timing thing as I got there earlier than usual. Didn't see anything different in the service though so reckon getting beer and pies will be a tedious exercise like last season.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
As I'm sure the board of directors say, the concourse is part of the match experience. It means we, as supporters, will spend more money.
Enjoyed the game though.
Funny story. My mate went and got some hot drinks at half time. Got back a minute into the second half (long queues again) and supported the team in blue for a while until he, like many others, worked it out.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
To be fair to the club, the attendance doubled on the day itself so not that much time to prepare for the huge last minute increase. Am sure it will be fine for the first game...

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Sat in the North Stand last night rather than West Stand Upper where my season ticket is and found the food etc far easier. That was probably because there was only 12,000 people there mind but maybe it is more of a problem in the West Upper than elsewhere.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Sat in the North Stand last night rather than West Stand Upper where my season ticket is and found the food etc far easier. That was probably because there was only 12,000 people there mind but maybe it is more of a problem in the West Upper than elsewhere.

Plus the North was mostly empty last night as well.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe it's just me but whenever I see a complaint about food/beer/ service it always seems to be in the West Stand.

I think its just the sheer volume of people in the West. Even when the north is full to capacity, there's only 2500 or whatever it is. OK, the queues make it just about impossible for most punters to get a pie and a pint at half-time or immediately after a game, but they rarely run out of stuff to sell.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
So I'll accept an extra few 1000 POTG may have put a bit of stress on the catering so I'll hold judgement until first league game. Tuesday may be different as not many will turn up for Norwich, surely.

PIES.
I'm a ST holder in the Upper East so NOT an occasional supporter.
12 months ago the queues for food were long and the food, if available, was just edible. By mid season last year the queues were quick and always plenty of choice and that's how it went on.
Last night was an awful, disgusting shambles. Arriving about 6:50 all the West stand refreshment queues were very long. We tried the third kiosk along having entered from the north end. Having got to the front there was no food, NOTHING AT ALL. We had a couple of Harveys and they were warm (I know the joke but Harveys should be cool not warm). Whilst standing around we decided to join the queue for the end kiosk. But on getting to the front only the special pies left. The new caterers had better be ready for the first game of the season because last night did not work. Casual supporters, who made up the majority of the crowd, may put up with a shambles but the regulars will not and heated arguments will ensue.
By now we were late for kick off so knocked back the pints and went to find our seats only to be told a fifteen minute delay. Is there not a PA system in the AMEX to alert those in the concourse of any delays.
The only good part of last night was that I caught the train from Lewes and may do so again for evening KO's.

If only I'd known. I had a some bread and fish with me. With a bit of help from him upstairs, I could have fed everyone.

There did seem to be more than a few teething problems than usual. One of my three lot of tickets didnt work and wasnt impressed by the keystone cops performance of the turmstile stewards in seperating me from my young kids for way too long. Have to say though soon forgot about all that with the great quality of football that was then on show, even though it mostly came from the yellow subbers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here