Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barcelona

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Thinking of heading off to Barcelona for the wife's 50th next May. Do the good folks on NSC have any tips on where to stay and what to do?

Goes without saying I'll want to have a shufty around the Nou Camp but apart from that and checking out Gaudi's architecture we've not got any firm plans.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Look up Puebla Espanyol.... Bars, restaurants, history and shopping,....all in one place....we enjoyed it.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
We went last year and loved it. There is plenty to do and also the beach which was great for the afternoons after a busy day sightseeing. We stayed in the middle of the old part at H10 Montcada (http://www.hotelh10montcada.com/en/index.html), which was pricey but a great location being 5 minutes from Las Ramblas, 10 minutes from the marina and about 15 minutes to the beach.

The best thing we did was a bike tour on the first full day which gave us ideas for the rest of the week and better than a bus tour - we used these http://fattirebiketours.com/barcelona. Montjuic castle (by cable car) and the Olympic stadium gives great views over city and sea whilst the fountain show on a Friday is a must do - there's loads of stuff about this on TripAdvisor. We went to a match at the Nou Camp but didn't do the tour. We will certainly go back in the future and highly recommend it.

We felt safe at all times as well despite there being lots of scare stories about it, just be sensible like you would in London and you will be fine.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
madrid is better imo

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Pick pockets are a problem....usually in the form of a gang of youngsters.....stay alert, especially in the Ramblas

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Serious petty theft levels has spoilt more recent visits. Scissors to cut handbag straps etc mean you really need to be on your toes compared to many others. But still a lovely city. Take a bus tour on day 1 to get your bearings and Do all the usual sites. I know it's a rip off but do have a drink on la rambas just the once and watch world walk by. Have fun!

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
I went last spring. Thought it was nice. But not quite the amazing destination many people had told me. But then I am very strange in my tastes.
Was far too touristy for me. Las Ramblas was nice but you feel constantly like a target for someone trying to sell you something or a potential pick pockets.

In the end we avoided las ramblas and had a good time. Some lovely hidden away places. And hard to get as much culture in one trip elsewhere.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
4 of us went for weekend beer and match at Bernabau and want to do he same at the Nou Camp. The problem appears to be they changer the date of matches more than we do to accommodate TV so how is the best to guarantee a match there and it being on the day we want or should we wait and buy the ticket when we get there as we did in Madrid on the Saturday morning.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Definitely do the hop on hop off bus tour(also goes to the Nou Camp). Cable car ride is well worth it from the harbour.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I went very recently, me and my group stayed in a nearby town: Tossa De Mar, a lovely place with much cheaper hotels than in Barcelona itself. Guadi architecture (particularly the Sagrada Familia) is a must for any visit and I would certainly recommend visiting Figueres for the Dali museum which contains some of his very best work, and himself as well actually (he was buried there)! Camp Nou, the Olympic Stadium and Las Ramblas would also be good for a visit.

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
In the city:
Parc Guell is amazing, get the bus from Placa de Catalunya to the stop Ctra de Carmel - Parc Guell. You can spend hours wandering around soaking it up and will give views over the rest of the city. Will also provide inspiration for the other Gaudi highlights.
Guell Palace - the main reason to walk the Ramblas is to visit the mansion which Gaudi built in side road around the corner. Entry is by timed tickets from an office two doors down.
Sagrada Familia - great but mobbed, if you want to go in aim to arrive shortly before it opens and you'll still have to queue but will save a long long time over queuing in the heat later in the day
Picasso Museum
Good places for Tapas are located in the streets near here around the church of Santa Maria
Montjuic can be combined with the Catalan national art museum.

Out of City:
Above all I recommend to take a day trip to the mountain and Monastery of Montserrat. The place is mind-blowing if you're into mountain landscapes and the inside of the abbey is lovely too.
tumblr_ma57gjTj631qfqzy6o1_500.jpg

google image search montserrat spain

You take the train (operator FGC line R5 destination Manresa) from the Placa Espanya station for about an hour to either the station Aeri de Montserrat where there is a cable car up to the Monastery of Santa Maria de Montserrat or one stop further to Monistrol de Montserrat from where there is a rack railway also to the monastery.

Once you have had a wander around there and been in the abbey and seen the icon of the black Virgin of Montserrat, there is a funicular to get up onto the mountain ridge above, which leads onto some wide gravel surfaced paths which afford spectacular views over the region - and also lead on to some steeper and narrower paths and stairways which give even more breathtaking views to the adventurous. Hiking boots recommended for that last category of paths, but all the main paths can be done in normal day wear, including one which winds back down the Monastery instead of re-taking the funicular. This was by far my favourite day in a week around Barcelona - and I love the city.

madrid is better imo

:nono:

With Barca you have the cooling sea air, and beaches, How did the tough mudder thing go? did you do ok?

Re the Op;s question, Walking the length of the Rambla's is great remember going out in general is safe but don't take a wallet or valuables, take a cheap camera and tell the missus to leave handbag behind unless its a cheap shoulder bag it will be targeted the second she puts it down! Its simple be street wise while in the tourist bits, A cable car trip is a good idea from the Marina, a trip up the coast to Blanes, only an hour or so but worth the journey as the train go almost along the beach so lots of good thing to see ;) for a fantastic nosh up take her to Monchos Barcelona amazing 20 Euro all you can eat menu 1st class quality grub.

Lastly the team who plays in red and blue are 1st rate
the team in blue and white are pants :lol:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Watch out for the dippers, they're everywhere.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Take the cable car(telefèric) up to the Joan Miró Foundation, if you like contemporary art.

Enjoy. I really liked Barcelona when i went a few years ago.

*My 1000th post on NSC. Cheers :whisky::lolol:

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Highly recommend, have been several times and off again this weds to visit for several days along with tossa de mar, you've already got 2 things right, book early - much cheaper easyjet (and more choice searching accom at booking.com / trivago etc for discounts) recommend areas off beach end of ramblas for atmospheric location first visit (barri gothic, born etc)and can easily walk down to barcelonetta beach district from here

pretty well covered above (not normally advise bus tour other cities but this one useful to cover large areas of city above ground first visit and hop on off/ noucamp, parc guell, montjuic, sagrada familiaetc) - a T10 metro ticket also gives 10 transferable metro journeys up to hour or so in time for about 10 euro.
>daytrip to Montserrat> also The Picasso museum is free on a Sunday (normally about 15 euro I think and tucked away in beautifully restored old town building (also great tapas bars around this area) Ramblas very commercial, just use it as a thoroughfare and explore streets and walkways around, be sure to visit the sensational boqueira food market just off it. Also recommend cheap cable car up Montjuic (only about 3/4 euros) for views as well as the view from top of Parc Guell over city (from The Cross at top of path) enjoy !

Off to see Barcelona v Santos this fri for a bit of scouting !

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here