Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why are we playing another friendly just a few days before the start of the season?

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I don't recall us doing that before?

I think Oscar is a bit perplexed by it as well judging by what he said in his interview.

I would have thought it would be best to get the players on the training ground for the whole week prior to the Leeds match without the distraction by the Norwich game. ???

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Why are we playing another friendly just a few days before the start of the sea

The pre season schedule has been a bit strange. We seem to have played fewer friendlies than usual but the club have decided to squeeze one in just before the season starts. Not ideal going into the Leeds game.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
very silly game.......i would put out the youth team, or probably the two clubs will agree beforehand to "go easy."

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
Why are we playing another friendly just a few days before the start of the sea

Oscar doesn't seem too happy about it. I doubt if the 1st team will play more than 45mins on Tuesday. Seems to be a money making exercise...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
After the performance last night I would suggest some of our players need all the practice they can get. I take Oscar's point and it will be a disaster if we pick up a silly injury, but equally we need to get some sort of rhythm in our play and it all goes towards improving our match sharpness.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
After the performance last night I would suggest some of our players need all the practice they can get. I take Oscar's point and it will be a disaster if we pick up a silly injury, but equally we need to get some sort of rhythm in our play and it all goes towards improving our match sharpness.

True. No rhythm at all last night. They look like they need all the practise they can get.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I asked the very same question last night. Seems a high risk to have a friendly four days before the first league game. The usual pattern has always been to have a clear week on the training ground before the opening fixture.

I would hope the starting eleven OG has in mind for Leeds, will be used very sparingly on Tuesday.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Leo and Calde played the whole ninety last night. Can't see them being used.
No idea why we're playing this game so late.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Whilst I agree somewhat it must be pointed out that Hoskins injury was sustained i in training against Dicker , as are many injuries and strains. The playing of a friendly against a footballing side would be better preparation than playing a friendly against a a non league side or possibly even against our DS as everybody would be trying to leave a last minute good impression on the manager. I would expect most of the first team to start on Tuesday and play 45 minutes.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Is it Hoopers debut?.Also I hope Bridcutt has a mare as Norwich will probably be watching him.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
very silly game.......i would put out the youth team, or probably the two clubs will agree beforehand to "go easy."

The youth team are currently in Denmark for a tournament (U-17s and U-19s).

I imagine on Tuesday there may well be appearances for some of the newer members of the DS, such as Barry, Hunt, Rea etc.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
We need more match practice, especially after last night.

A win over a Premier League team, albeit in a friendly, would be a good boost ahead of the Leeds game.

Jimmy Grimble

The pre season schedule has been a bit strange. We seem to have played fewer friendlies than usual but the club have decided to squeeze one in just before the season starts. Not ideal going into the Leeds game.

Also felt we seem short on friendlies this year. Who arranged this pre-season?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The game will hone match fitness levels , Leeds have played their share of friendlies too.

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
Don't expect to see many of our starting XI play against Norwich. To me a friendly this close to the start of the season is scheduling incompetence.

rjbseagull

Apr 27, 2010
From what I've heard, very much Poyet's pre-season schuedule. Didn't want the friendlies against the likes of Burgess Hill etc

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Wasn't this game going to be the testimonial match for a certain first team coach who is no longer with the club?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Season starts earlier this year because of the world cup? Players needed similar holiday so squeezing same amount into smaller time frame? That and money for FFP means they 'better' opposition than Lewes?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here