Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car Rental with a Debit Card NOT a Credit Card - Help !!!

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
With a Debit Card , I've paid for car rental in Italy . On collection I'm required to leave a deposit of €900 .
However , the T & C's state that the deposit must be in the form of a Credit Card imprint . Use of a Debit Card or Cash is not an option .
Of the 2 cards I carry , neither are credit - both are debit .
Anyone know whether this stipulation is strictly enforced ?
Has anyone else experienced this dilemma ?
Am I about to left stranded at Verona Airport on Tuesday ?
Any help or insight on the matter would be warmly appreciated , thanks .

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I have done this before and instead of using your card you can pray an extra insurance, I paid about £50, you then don't need to leave a deposit.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
We've rented car all over Europe and the USA and always had to have a credit card.
I'd get in touch with the car rental company just to check it out.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
If you don't have a credit card you can rent with a debit card. However you have to pay an additional charge which is like an insurance waiver. It's varies on price from company to company.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have had this problem in reverse. I have to use a credit card in the UK as I don't have a UK address and the credit card provides much greater security for the hire company should anything go wrong and I leave the country.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I have done this before and instead of using your card you can pray an extra insurance, I paid about £50, you then don't need to leave a deposit.

I'm not sure praying will help.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Look into getting a pre pay card like a fair fx card? They come in the form of a mastercard. I'm sure that would suffice in your case.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Some companies, usually independents will allow you to use debit card. I used one called Torremar Car Hire in Spain and they didn't charge me any extra. They are few and far between though.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
It can't not help surely! Lol. Not all companies want the deposit, 2 weeks ago in Majorca they didn't, they did stitch me up on fuel though! :angry:

fattyjohn

Jun 17, 2011
north roedean
i had same problem in munich ,booked flight with easy jet and car hire was through them with europa car,needed £500 on credit card only had £250 , they wouldnt budge , ruined holiday

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Very hard to rent a car without a credit card and will cost more if you can find someone who will accept debit. I live in Ireland now but got a Sterling credit card just so I could rent a car when I pop over for a visit without having to get dinged on the foreign exchange on my Euro card.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
If you don't have a credit card you can rent with a debit card. However you have to pay an additional charge which is like an insurance waiver. It's varies on price from company to company.

I am greatly encouraged by both of your answers .
So , on collection of the car, I can take up the option of the paying extra premium to cover the excess .
I'm more than happy to cop that - it's totally my fault .

Thanks very much for your help .

ant192

Crowborough Seagull
Aug 9, 2004
crowborough
I had this problem in Italy a short while ago.
I joined avis preferred via their website (its free and saves you from queueing) and booked my car via debit card online. When you get to the airport flash your preferred card, grab the keys hanging on a hook, job done. For piece of mind I checked with avis first, who said that the debit card linked with my preffered account was fine. Lots of online discount codes on the web for avis too.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Thanks for all your contributions - Got a result !!

When the girl at the Car Rental Desk asked for my Credit Card , I handed her my Debit Card .
Straightaway she said , "this is a Debit not a Credit Card" .
I just calmly said it does both .
She hesitated for a second or two , then went ahead and took the imprint .

Can highly recommend Lake Garda & Verona - beautiful !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here