Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Many on here are keen cyclists but could you live in a city like this?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Hell yeh! It would be brilliant if they did that to Brighton. Why would anyone not want that?

New Road, Brighton is an interesting (small) step in that direction. The big challenge is to deal with the demand for (a) through travel movements by cars; and (b) the existing car parking facilities.

The re-configuration of New Road was expensive. A city centre wide scheme would be incredibly costly. Even the largely externally-funded Lewes Road scheme is winding up the "what-a-waste-council-tax" brigade.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
New Road, Brighton is an interesting (small) step in that direction. The big challenge is to deal with the demand for (a) through travel movements by cars; and (b) the existing car parking facilities.

The re-configuration of New Road was expensive. A city centre wide scheme would be incredibly costly. Even the largely externally-funded Lewes Road scheme is winding up the "what-a-waste-council-tax" brigade.

Yep, New Road is great. It's only the taxi's who are a bit annoying on it, they keep driving at you expecting you to give way.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It would be nice for the odd sunny Sunday to just have 'no car days', in and around city/town/village centres.

Someone ought to do something, you never know people might actually like it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why would anyone NOT want this? Looks great.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Yep, New Road is great. It's only the taxi's who are a bit annoying on it, they keep driving at you expecting you to give way.
Just what I have noticed, Taxi's shoot though it s if they own the road :censored: and why do they nearly always wait in the cycle box at traffic lights.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
It would be nice for the odd sunny Sunday to just have 'no car days', in and around city/town/village centres.

Someone ought to do something, you never know people might actually like it.
This would be fantastic!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
A dream for me would be if all our kids could cycle safely to school, starting from primary school right the way through to when they leave school. Can't ever see that happening in this country sadly, what with so many parents taking their kids to school by car and making the 'school run' one of the busiest and most dangerous times to be on the road. In trying to keep their own kids safe, parents taking their kids to school by car are in fact making the problem worse for everyone.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Because they enjoy/like driving a car?

Fair enough. But how much enjoyment do you get from driving a car around a pokey town centre? If it's enjoyment you're after surely the open road is more fun?

D

Deleted member 18477

Fair enough. But how much enjoyment do you get from driving a car around a pokey town centre? If it's enjoyment you're after surely the open road is more fun?

Enjoyment because you don't get hot and sweaty going about your daily business?

Enjoyment because it takes less time to get about?

I dunno... I'm not against cycling and I don't drive around a pokey town all day everyday...

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Enjoyment because you don't get hot and sweaty going about your daily business?

Enjoyment because it takes less time to get about?

I have been using a bicycle to get around my jobs for the last 3 weeks and once I get to my first job it has actually been quicker to get from job to job.
But your right about getting hot and sweaty.

D

Deleted member 18477

I have been using a bicycle to get around my jobs for the last 3 weeks and once I get to my first job it has actually been quicker to get from job to job.
But your right about getting hot and sweaty.

Pros and cons like with most things.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here