Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harveys wins Best Lager award.

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
Scandalous! Whatever next, Harvey's making sherry?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Gold and silver for high alcohol and low alcohol beers too. I may just have to sup some Christmas Ale tonight to celebrate. :drink:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i really dont know why the local and regional brewers dont do more of this, creating a lager to draw in those drinkers. we are a nation of lager drinkers without actually having a national available native English lager, which is very odd.

Last edited:

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
i really dont know why the local and regional brewers dont do more of this, creating a lager to draw in those drinkers. we are a nation of lager drinkers without actually having a native English lager, which is very odd.

I went on the Meantime Brewery tour in Greenich a few months back. The had some great lagers...

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
i really dont know why the local and regional brewers dont do more of this, creating a lager to draw in those drinkers. we are a nation of lager drinkers without actually having a native English lager, which is very odd.

You clearly never tried Greenall Whitley's Grunhalle then? Advert strapline that it was brewed the Bavarian Way, if true I am never going to Bavaria.....:sick:

Mind you they couldn't brew ales either and stopped trying in 1991, the brewery is now a Morrisons :clap:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Where the hell is Greenich?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

A unique achievement, for Harveys, was the success of ‘Bill’s Beer’. It won Gold Medal for the Best Lager with an abv 3.5%-4.2%. Miles Jenner, Head Brewer at Harveys, commented;

“When Bill first approached us for a bespoke beer, he asked for a very light, soft beer that would suit anyone at any time. The brief was for a cross between an ale and a lager so we have clearly succeeded as regards the latter. It has been a runaway success and, following its appearance at their first store opposite the brewery in Lewes more than a decade ago, is now sold throughout their ever expanding chain of restaurants. It is an ideal accompaniment for any meal.”

Bloody hell! "Bill's Beer". Another giant leap in the growth of Billy Collison's enterprise. Some of us remember when he was a greengrocer. Now he's tied in with Richard Caring, the owner of the hip London eateries Le Caprice and The Ivy, and spreading the franchise right across middle England. I guess it can only be good for Harvey's as well.

And ... we not only remember Billy Collison as a greengrocer. Coming from a family in Falmer, he was an opponent of the stadium. It would be hugely ironic to see his name on the label of a local lager available at the Amex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here