Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buying Watches for investment

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Not wishing to hijack the other watch thread but following some advice I've been considering buying a Rolex Oyster or two for investment as by all accounts they appreciate over time and according to my mate "in the know" have risen by a couple of thousand over the last few years from 3 to about 5 thousand. Does anyone have any advice or comment. I would never dare actually wear one out or even usually be interested in watches. I have heard that they must be officially serviced regularly to maintain their desirability.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Not all Rolex models increase in value, the best investments would be the Daytona, Submariner, GMT, Sea Dweller. Certain models actually depreciate in value, for instance the Milgauss would not be considered a good investment piece, neither are the cheaper models such as the Air King. Also be careful with bi-metal bands as these depreciate more than solid gold or stainless steel. Any questions OP then drop me a PM.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Not wishing to hijack the other watch thread but following some advice I've been considering buying a Rolex Oyster or two for investment as by all accounts they appreciate over time and according to my mate "in the know" have risen by a couple of thousand over the last few years from 3 to about 5 thousand. Does anyone have any advice or comment. I would never dare actually wear one out or even usually be interested in watches. I have heard that they must be officially serviced regularly to maintain their desirability.

You go for it, it's not like you have missed the boat or anything. What could possibly go wrong.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I've always thought its a nice idea but been put off by a couple of things.

- Storage/Insurance Costs. You don't want £20k of watches lying around your house.
- Exit strategy. Generally you will need to off load them through a dealer. The dealer will obviously take his cut.
- Availability. There may be a waiting list on a new Submariner but you could stroll down the lanes today and see half a dozen on sale. For that reason you need to go for rare models, which come at a premium.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Have you thought of trying at auction? Pick up one that needs a bit of love, outbid the dealers then over time get it refurbished, Increasing in value each time you do a bit more work. I have a 1965 Omega, bought 7 years ago, only really needed a new glass, now worth, even at auction, far more than I paid for it. The wife bought a tired ladies Rolex for a few hundred, its been serviced, reglassed, and a refurbed strap, again, now worth a bundle more than she paid for it. If you can find a tame, reasonably priced and competent watchmender, you could do well.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I have a Rolex GMT from Dubai ( new model, ceramic bezel) just getting off the plane it has made nearly a grand in value. It's a love of mine having amassed quite a few Swiss marques Tags, omega and Rolex. If you are patient and do your homework then it can pay.

Good advice from superphil recommending you seek out a tired example and find a good watchmaker to return it to good order.

My Rolex is a legacy one. My eldest lad will get it when he's 21 and will always have a few grand on his wrist if he's ever in trouble.

Smile

Aug 19, 2011
I agree buying abroad can work out a lot cheaper. I have just purchased a Cartier watch in Spain with a 26% discount. UK dealers offered maximum 14%, Dubai 18%, Malaysia 20%, USA 20%. Two years ago the same Spanish dealer would only discount by 15% so its a good time to buy luxury goods in Spain.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here