Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has anyone ever lived on a Housboat/Narrow boat?

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
After recently being told that I am surplus to requirements after 20 odd years of marriage, I have taken a look at my lifestyle choices and am seriously considering buying a livaboard boat. I have been looking at Dutch Barges as they are wider than the normal narrow barges and as I intend to leave it permanently moored feel it would be a better option.
I am based in the fens so have a few mooring options nearby but it is the day to day information I'm after. I've read lots of blogs and articles about how wonderful and peaceful it is living on a houseboat but nothing about the cons.
If anyone has any knowledge about the subject it would be appreciated.
Thanks.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Wooden frame in a Humber iron/steel barge is best. Wooden planking is dodgy on dry moorings. Double diagonal is best. Do not rule out concrete (but not if old).

Repair costs are a killer and mooring fees can be as well. I would want a minimum of 14 ft wide inside in the widest part or saloon, living area. Only had seven years. It seemed much longer.

I knew a couple of families who lived on houseboats in Shoreham Harbour. They were both completely mad to start with and became madder the longer they lived there. Both gave up eventually - Brian Behan (for it was he) became a professional madman, well known in Brighton and beyond as what his Guardian obituary describes as a "writer and self-publicist". The other family tried to escape from Shoreham by patching their house up with a view to chugging off to France. They were rescued by the RNLI somewhere between Peacehaven and Newhaven.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/2002/nov/05/guardianobituaries.booksobituaries

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here