Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

man faces jail for calling Hove MP Mike Weatherley 'coward'

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
"Mr Cline of Wenlock House, North Street, Brighton, is a former University of Sussex postgraduate student who graduated from the university in September.
He now lectures at the Angela Ruskin University, teaching “Video Game Contextual Studies” and “Architectural Gaming”."

An even bigger waste of time and money!

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
I think that if you read it all you'll find that his complaint to the police was not that he was being insulted, but that a mob were chasing him and hurling rocks at him.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I think that if you read it all you'll find that his complaint to the police was not that he was being insulted, but that a mob were chasing him and hurling rocks at him.

That doesn't appear to be the charge though:

The 25-year-old faces one count of 'using threatening/abusive/insulting words/behaviour to cause harassment/alarm/distress'.

If it was for throwing rocks it would surely be a more serious charge? Throwing rocks certainly fits as "behaviour to cause harassment/alarm/distress", but I would think they'd tie in something more serious, suggesting that it really is for the language issue.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
"Mr Cline of Wenlock House, North Street, Brighton, is a former University of Sussex postgraduate student who graduated from the university in September.
He now lectures at the Angela Ruskin University, teaching “Video Game Contextual Studies” and “Architectural Gaming”."

An even bigger waste of time and money!

Exactly, it's not like computer gaming is a multi billion pound international industry or anything.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The charge comes under the public order act. The key paragraph is
He could be handed a maximum penalty of six months imprisonment, a fine of £5,000 or both.

In reality he will probably get a fine or community service if found guilty. There's definitely journalistic licence in stating the maximum sentence possible.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Be interested to see what comes out in court, as I find it hard to believe that even the CPS would charge someone just for using the word "coward".

Perhaps someone is saying he said or did a lot more than that, and what's in the Argus is just his version of events. Would be pretty lazy journalism if that's the case.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
I bet the Lecturer regrets saying the truth now!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh shit, mods , can you please delete all my posts where I have called Gove a **** please..... and quickly.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here