Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Railway Signs on A27?

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Posting on the other thread about train tickets reminded me:

At the Polegate end of the A27, a sign has appeared stating: Eastbourne to Lewes, 20 minutes with the BR emblem below. ??? In the opposite direction near Lewes is a similar sign stating: Lewes to Eastbourne, 20 minutes. Not quite as weird as the no racing of horse and cart signs near Fontwell, but kind of odd I thought.

I'm not going to lose sleep over these signs, just curious? What is the point? Do car drivers need to know its 20 minutes by train from either point. (Is it that quick?) I can't be arsed to check timetables.

Maybe when we're stuck in a snarl up along that stretch of road, its the railway or whoevers way of saying "Told ya so"?

This is LB's manor around that area. Know anything? I need to know. :rolleyes:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Lewes - Eastbourne is about 20 mins on the train. I guess it is aimed at those people who are stuck in traffic during rush hour when it can take that long to get from the roundabout to Lewes.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

At the Polegate end of the A27, a sign has appeared stating: Eastbourne to Lewes, 20 minutes with the BR emblem below. ??? In the opposite direction near Lewes is a similar sign stating: Lewes to Eastbourne, 20 minutes. Not quite as weird as the no racing of horse and cart signs near Fontwell, but kind of odd I thought.

I'm not going to lose sleep over these signs, just curious? What is the point? Do car drivers need to know its 20 minutes by train from either point. (Is it that quick?) I can't be arsed to check timetables.

Maybe when we're stuck in a snarl up along that stretch of road, its the railway or whoevers way of saying "Told ya so"?

Exactly that - its an ADVERT.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Bit of a stupid advert really. Unless you live within walking distance of Lewes or Eastbourne stations and your destination is within walking distance of Lewes or Eastbourne stations, you would have to factor in driving to those town centres and finding (paying for) somewhere to park.

People travel out of necessity, nobody likes sitting in traffic, I'm sure a high % of the population are capable of choosing the most convenient form of travel for themselves :facepalm:

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
"Mr Baker has already secured a deal with SouthCentral trains to slash the price of weekly tickets between Eastbourne and Lewes from 23.20 to 16, and between Seaford and Lewes from 15 to just 10."

Maybe Mr Baker can secure a deal to slash travel on matchdays - seeing we are outside of the travel zone ??

In the days of Connex, when the massive roadworks were in progress at Falmer, the railway company lobbied the Highways Agency to put similar signs to promote the rail service between Lewes and Brighton. They were refused permission, because the signs would "distract drivers".

As for whether the railway, with its reliable and predictable timetable, is a better bet than the A27, with its unreliable and unpredictable journey times ... yes it is. I choose to use it regularly and get to work in Brighton much quicker and cheaper than driving.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Lewes - Eastbourne is about 20 mins on the train. I guess it is aimed at those people who are stuck in traffic during rush hour when it can take that long to get from the roundabout to Lewes.

This is of course until the signals are down, the points get jammed, there's leaves on the line, engineering works, wrong kind of snow or so hot, the tracks melt !!!!

This is of course until the signals are down, the points get jammed, there's leaves on the line, engineering works, wrong kind of snow or so hot, the tracks melt !!!!
You speak as if this is a daily occurrence. Not on the Coastway East line it isn't. The A27, on the other hand ... where, for example, any kind of snow brings the road to a standstill ...

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
As for whether the railway, with its reliable and predictable timetable, is a better bet than the A27, with its unreliable and unpredictable journey times ... yes it is. I choose to use it regularly and get to work in Brighton much quicker and cheaper than driving.

That depends on where you live. If you've got easy access to a station on that line then it's a no brainer.

If your train journey is preceeded by a 30 minute walk, paying for parking at the station or a bus ride, then the car begins to look like a more attractive option.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
In the days of Connex, when the massive roadworks were in progress at Falmer, the railway company lobbied the Highways Agency to put similar signs to promote the rail service between Lewes and Brighton. They were refused permission, because the signs would "distract drivers".

How far from the train station are you and what does it cost to park the car at the station?

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Bit of a stupid advert really. Unless you live within walking distance of Lewes or Eastbourne stations and your destination is within walking distance of Lewes or Eastbourne stations, you would have to factor in driving to those town centres and finding (paying for) somewhere to park.

How far from the train station are you and what does it cost to park the car at the station?

Or people can use bicycles as long as their health and the weather permits. Most stations provide free cycle parking.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Depends how long it takes to get to the station (7 minute drive) how much it costs to park at the station (£5 a day at ours), and how much the train ticket costs (£56 return to London) Somehow, I think many will find driving, even in traffic, a preferable option. Now, if you live somewhere like WA for example, the car park is huge and free, the train costs less than a tenner return, and they run every ten minutes, then you have a viable option ( oh, and when you get to the city, the buses are free).

2.5 miles. And it's free to park at Glynde Station, because no-one knows who owns the land that the car park sits on. Rumour has it that it might be Glynde Estate land, but it's been an open space next to the station for over 150 years and the train operator has never attempted to claim the right to charge - although they have installed and maintain lighting in the car park.

Until the teaboy broke my bike, I had the option of cycling - there are a couple of country lanes, linked by a cycle lane along the edge of the A27, so it's a reasonably safe ride.

And, yes, I also had the option of getting the bike fixed. I know, I know ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here