Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cut Off from Civilisation - NSC's Advice Sought

We've just had a visit from a very nice man from Atkins Rail to inform us (that's the Bracknell household and our neighbours) that Network Rail will be closing our road for the whole of next week (starting at midnight on Sunday) to allow them to dig up and replace the level crossing that we have to use to get convenient access to the outside world.

Obviously it would have been better to have had a bit more notice - since this will be incredibly inconvenient. They have offered to maintain pedestrian access across the level crossing (ring a bell and someone will check that it is safe, and the gate through the fence that they will erect will be opened). And they will provide us with a parking space the other side of the railway (with a promise that the contractors' plant won't block it).

But they've also made another offer. Three options have been suggested.

1. We stay at home and live with the inconvenience;
2. They put us and our neighbours up in a hotel for the week; or
3. They pay us the cost of hotel accommodation and leave us to make our own arrangements.

What would NSC advise? We've been asked to make a decision by Friday (tomorrow).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Take the money
Take the money
Take the money
Take the money
Take the money
Take the money...

... then stay at home.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Take a weeks holiday, and use that week in a Hotel somewhere nice

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Can you take a week at home and also the money they would have paid for a hotel as compensation?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If they're offering something reasonable I'd go for a week in a hotel. Personally, I like a change of scenery every so often even if it is just down the road. If its the local Travelodge then maybe take the money.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Mention the C word and then threaten to go to the papers. :thumbsup:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Option 2 if the hotel is decent or Option 3 if it isn't (Will Lord and Lady Bracknell be content in a 3* hotel with no butler ?)

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Deans Place at Alfriston is nice (although the pubs in the village are snobbery personified)

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Take the hotel (assuming its a good one in a nice place, plus a MASSIVE amount of compensation for the pain and inconvenience

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Take the mystery box!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
definatly veer towards taking the money. dont how much it'll be though and booking first week of summer holidays likly to be a nightmare.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
When they dug up the track near me to encourage the River Hamble not to flood the track. As they would be working 24 hours a day for three days they gave four of my neighbours the same deal. Well three really but one couple didn't want to be left out ( any thing for free).
Three took the Hotel option, and the not left out neighbours took the money option and stayed with their Son who lived not far away. I believe they all had a wonderful time, like being on Holiday.
I got the jungle that was my back garden put to rights and a nice new shed. Two point Eight Million well spent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here