Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your best holiday as a child verses a 21st century holiday for your children?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
and by 21st century clearly I mean something with Disney in the title.

Is there any way I can justify a holiday that doesn't involve a 6 foot rat, singing at me?

As a child we regularly holidayed to The Isles of Scilly, and it's easily my happiest/best childhood memory.
Naturally as the jnr Stat's are now at the same age, I'd love to make that trip with them.

Clearly being 7 & 9, given the choice the jnrs would be desperate for anything with Disney in the name.

Neither would be cheap, and the holiday would be paid for by a one off windfall, so it's not like we can do the other the following year.

I do know the answer, I just can't face the reality.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Is there any way I can justify a holiday that doesn't involve a 6 foot rat, singing at me?
You could always feed them to it, or alternatively, it to them.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm a big fan of Orlando and WDW specifically. I first went when I was about 16 with my parents and I'm off again, for 3 weeks, soon. It will be something like my 15th or 16th visit.

My 10 year old loves it - it will be her 5th time and it will be great, this trip, to see it through the eyes of my 3 year old.

I genuinely challenge anyone not to have a good time there - even if you're not into, or don't think you're into, the idea of theme parks.

But I'll also be the first to say - we've had equally good holidays spending a week under canvas in Norfolk as well as renting houses in France and Italy with friends. Ultimately, kids love having the undivided attentions of their parents for a period of time. For most families that doesn't happen as often as they'd like nowadays.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm a big fan of Orlando and WDW specifically. I first went when I was about 16 with my parents and I'm off again, for 3 weeks, soon. It will be something like my 15th or 16th visit.

My 10 year old loves it - it will be her 5th time and it will be great, this trip, to see it through the eyes of my 3 year old.

I genuinely challenge anyone not to have a good time there - even if you're not into, or don't think you're into, the idea of theme parks.

But I'll also be the first to say - we've had equally good holidays spending a week under canvas in Norfolk as well as renting houses in France and Italy with friends. Ultimately, kids love having the undivided attentions of their parents for a period of time. For most families that doesn't happen as often as they'd like nowadays.

I get that, to a point.

I think I'm struggling on 2 fronts.
The polar opposites of the 2 options, and
the huge desire to go on each of the respective big budget holidays.

Not helped by the fact I've never had any holiday even remotely theme parked.

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
I get that, to a point.

I think I'm struggling on 2 fronts.
The polar opposites of the 2 options, and
the huge desire to go on each of the respective big budget holidays.

Not helped by the fact I've never had any holiday even remotely theme parked.
Could always go camping in France and get some day passes for Euro Disney.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Take them camping. Spend time with them. They'll remember that more than a glorified fairground.

We've had 'issues' camping in the past.

But taking your point that type of holiday would be The Isles of Scilly.
I just can't see myself diving head first into Disney.

There's me thinking I'd be told to 'suck it up and see the rat'.

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
We've had 'issues' camping in the past.

But taking your point that type of holiday would be The Isles of Scilly.
I just can't see myself diving head first into Disney.

There's me thinking I'd be told to 'suck it up and see the rat'.
I've never been to Orlando, but I've taken the children to Euro Disney a couple of times. I was very sceptical, but to be honest I loved it as much as the kids. Second time we went I did what I suggested in my last post, we camped for a week (used an already erected Canvas Holiday tent, which had proper beds!) and stayed at Euro Disney for a couple of days. Best of both Worlds.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
When ours were small,Anglesey decent accomodation available plus clean safe beaches little in the way of 'Adult' entertainment' it our family holiday.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
We have been to Euro Disney twice. My son is now Euro-Disney'ed out, he can tell all his mates he's been there and it looks like we won't have to go again.

This year it's going to be Holland to see windmills, Anne Frank house, cheese markets, mice on stairs wearing clogs and other stuff like that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are you taking them to Scilly on a Helicopter? Nothing can beat that surely.
The first year we went on the Scillonian.
It was one of the roughest crossings in history, even the crew were being sick.
I remember, aged 6, reaching for a sick bag, but it had already been used.
Eventually I passed out and they tied me to a life buoy.
When we eventually pulled into dock, apparently the whole outside of the boat was covered in sick.

Happy days.

(we went of the helicopter for the following years)

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
My family have had a caravan at this site in Bexhill, in the Little Common area for over 50 years and we never tire of it (I've been going since I was born, late 90s). Sometimes the simple things are the best so I would definitely recommend camping or similar. If you fancy somewhere slightly more exotic than Sussex then the New Forest is always a good shout.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
depends on if you want to share spare time with your kids in an authentic or synthetic way.

a trip to disney does nothing 'good' for a childs view of the world IMO, but a walk in a forest or on a deserted beach does.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Did Florida in the late 90's and did about 6 theme parks, including three from Disney, none of which were in my top three. Utterly baffles me when I hear adults raving about the whole thing. Central Florida is probably the dullest landscape on the planet and if you haven't seen any other parts of the US, you could easily conclude the whole place is vastly over rated.

scooter1

How soon is now?
I don't really recall any great holidays when I was a kid. I'm sure I must have enjoyed them, but nothing really stands out. However, having the chance to take my son to places that I didn't get to go to as a child has been excellent. We're fortunate enough to have a holiday home in rural Spain and family down there, so since he was a baby we've visited regularly and it's great to involve him in the culture and spend time with Spanish friends and their families. However this year it's been Euro Disney and Legoland... I felt Legoland was far more enjoyable, and so much more inclusive for my son. He's 4 and Euro Disney, even the studios part, I think was aimed at older children. We're also going to have a go at camping to see how he fares there...

Did Florida in the late 90's and did about 6 theme parks, including three from Disney, none of which were in my top three. Utterly baffles me when I hear adults raving about the whole thing. Central Florida is probably the dullest landscape on the planet and if you haven't seen any other parts of the US, you could easily conclude the whole place is vastly over rated.

I tend to agree - if there weren't theme parks there I can't think of any particular reason why I would want to go. Went nearly 30yrs ago with a mate, primarily to take in a couple of NFL games but "did" Disney. Although it was enjoyable we did comment on the nearly 300 mile drive we did from Miami to Orlando that we saw better scenery each day driving to work!

Off to the Vendee region in France for our 10th consecutive holiday there - love the area with lots of different things to see and do, also nice beaches. As for theme parks I would challenge anyone not to be blown away by Puy du Fou, not a white knuckle ride in sight.

I tend to agree - if there weren't theme parks there I can't think of any particular reason why I would want to go. Went nearly 30yrs ago with a mate, primarily to take in a couple of NFL games but "did" Disney. Although it was enjoyable we did comment on the nearly 300 mile drive we did from Miami to Orlando that we saw better scenery each day driving to work!

Off to the Vendee region in France for our 10th consecutive holiday there - love the area with lots of different things to see and do, also nice beaches. As for theme parks I would challenge anyone not to be blown away by Puy du Fou, not a white knuckle ride in sight!

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
My family have had a caravan at this site in Bexhill, in the Little Common area for over 50 years and we never tire of it (I've been going since I was born, late 90s). Sometimes the simple things are the best so I would definitely recommend camping or similar. If you fancy somewhere slightly more exotic than Sussex then the New Forest is always a good shout.

what site are you referring to in Bexhill, wouldn't be Kloofs would it ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here