Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Local players

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
How important is it to have 'local lads' in the squad? It wasn't that long ago where the majority of the squad were all from Sussex but these days it is barely one or two. Even the ones coming out of the development squad have been brought in from other areas.

Will the academy see another team like the Wilkins one or will that just be full of the best players that we can bring in? If you look at teams like Man U, Arsenal etc hardly any of their youth squads are local to the team, the majority of them aren't even English these days. Is this the way its going for teams lower down as well now?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
When were the majority of the squad from Sussex, out of interest?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
When were the majority of the squad from Sussex, out of interest?

The day we played Northwich in the FA Cup, the team was:

16 Michel Kuipers
3 Kerry Mayo
4 Adam Hinshelwood
5 Joel Lynch
6 Adam El-Abd
14 Guy Butters
11 Dean Hammond
28 Dean Cox
30 Tommy Fraser
15 Alex Revell
19 Jake Robinson

And we brought on Gatting and Rents.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
What is the success rate for a year of scholars? Very low, I would imagine.

Southampton had a bit of a purple patch, but not sure how many were local boys. Certainly the likes of Walcott were brought in from elsewhere.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Southampton had a bit of a purple patch, but not sure how many were local boys. Certainly the likes of Walcott were brought in from elsewhere.

Indeed. Bale is no Hampshire lad.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I think he means could have almost fielded, not that we nearly did, i would have thought we would of put out a very weak team if that was the case. but I reckon it would have been something like...

Sullivan

elphick El-abd hinsh Mayo

Cox Chamberlin Fraser hammond Robinson

Gatting.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's an odd thing.

Until the Spanish Revolution I'd have said it was incredibly important to field a good Sussex/English team.
'All these foreigners coming over here... :blah: :blah: :blah:'.

Now if you give me a choice of 11 Gary Neville's or 11 Calde's.
I'm on the Calde catamaran, all day long.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Walcott was from Newbury, and to be fair, that's the same distance from So'ton as Hastings to Brighton, and I certainly consider Hammond, etc as 'local'.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The day we played Northwich in the FA Cup, the team was:

16 Michel Kuipers
3 Kerry Mayo
4 Adam Hinshelwood
5 Joel Lynch
6 Adam El-Abd
14 Guy Butters
11 Dean Hammond
28 Dean Cox
30 Tommy Fraser
15 Alex Revell
19 Jake Robinson

And we brought on Gatting and Rents.

I did a blog on this very subject which mentions that match and looks at where they all ended up.

What became of the Likely Lads?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I did a blog on this very subject which mentions that match and looks at where they all ended up.

What became of the Likely Lads?

Cheers.

TINY bit of artistic license;
However, had reserve goalkeeper John Sullivan been introduced into the fray in place of Michel Kuipers and Sam Rents swapped for Guy Butters instead of Jake Robinson, the Albion would have ended the game with 11 players from Sussex.
It still wouldn't have been, as Frutos came on for Fraser.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
How important is it to have 'local lads' in the squad? It wasn't that long ago where the majority of the squad were all from Sussex but these days it is barely one or two. Even the ones coming out of the development squad have been brought in from other areas.

Will the academy see another team like the Wilkins one or will that just be full of the best players that we can bring in? If you look at teams like Man U, Arsenal etc hardly any of their youth squads are local to the team, the majority of them aren't even English these days. Is this the way its going for teams lower down as well now?
It would be nicer to have some more. Hopefully Dunk and March can become first team regulars this season.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Walcott was from Newbury, and to be fair, that's the same distance from So'ton as Hastings to Brighton, and I certainly consider Hammond, etc as 'local'.

I'm arguing the wrong point and erring towards homegrown. They nabbed him off Swindon, didn't they? Granted, he was very young when they did that, but I don't see him as being a product of the Southampton academy.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I'm arguing the wrong point and erring towards homegrown. They nabbed him off Swindon, didn't they? Granted, he was very young when they did that, but I don't see him as being a product of the Southampton academy.

What!!!!! of course he was a product of the Southampton acadamy, just becuase he spent 1 or 2 years somewhere when he was 12 does not mean they made him the player he has become today, Southampton obviously worked with him and then bleed him in the first team, Swindon can take very little credit for his career.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

What!!!!! of course he was a product of the Southampton acadamy, just becuase he spent 1 or 2 years somewhere when he was 12 does not mean they made him the player he has become today, Southampton obviously worked with him and then bleed him in the first team, Swindon can take very little credit for his career.

Sorry BoF, but you're well wide of the mark. Walcott was at Swindon for less than 6 months, at the age of ELEVEN. Southampton had him from 11 and made him what he is.

If you'd argue that Saints 'didn't produce' Theo, then Palace didn't produce Moses or Zaha, who both joined their academy much older than that.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Last year Crewe Alexandra fielded an entire team comprised of academy graduates.
Impressive.
How many have been sold this summer? I know Luke Murphy was the most promising and he's gone to Blackburn. Didn't they have some striker everyone wanted ?

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
i think aspirationally its very important. Not neccesarily a whole team but for a young player seeing someone local come through the ranks they will think if they can do it so can i.

Also we we have a track record of players coming through then if a young starlet from sussex has the choice of coming here or say go to Charlton then it might chose the club where they have more chance of getting a chance

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here