Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How big do some of fans think we are?

tube train

Sep 10, 2009
I endlessly see comments from Brighton fans like 'why would that player choose that club over us' or 'we should be signing better players then that'. Have our fans just been spoilt by the last few years? do some fans believe we have a god given right to be in the EPL? we don't have a massive budget and we have the FFP to content with as well, we are very lucky to have such a great ground and training ground to come. Some Brighton fans also come across as arrogant in the way they belittle other clubs (who Arguably have achieve more in the last 20 years then ourselves)

We went over budget last season chasing a dream a bit but i for one am more excited for this season ahead and i love the idea of younger players getting a run out with something to prove (something Gus wasn't willing to allow)

Rant Over

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We're a good, solid promotion-chasing Championship team now, with the infrastructure of a Prem/top Champ team.

No more, no less.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
When people talk about 'big' clubs, it nearly always refers to history. Why would a player give a shit that we've spent most of the past 20 years in divisions 2 and 3 and playing in front of 8-10K in crap grounds? He's playing in the here and now in front of 25K in the best new stadium in the country in a team with potential to get promoted to the Premier League. So yes, assuming the financial rewards are similar, I do think that we'd be a more attractive option than say Blackpool, Burnley or Ipswich.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
EPL :facepalm:

Can we avoid using this for the coming season? Go on - you know you want to. And anyway, it's called The Premier League (or The Barclays Premier League). Never has been called English Premier League.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
EPL :facepalm:

Can we avoid using this for the coming season? Go on - you know you want to. And anyway, it's called The Premier League (or The Barclays Premier League). Never has been called English Premier League.

I do find it odd, although I've used it in the past myself as short hand on Twitter. Regardless, we don't refer to it as American Major League Soccer, or Italian Serie A.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
we have a history........we have a more recent average history....we are on the way up.......fact..:thumbsup: we missed out on play offs owing to a massive ,collective brain fade last season. imho of course.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm inclined to say that history is exactly that, history. It might help a Liverpool or Leeds in their respective positions get players they might not otherwise get but I would say to the average player, wages, level of likely success & quality of facilities would be more of a concern when signing for a club.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
I think, generally speaking, the size of club is down to the typical crowds they get.

Clubs can get bigger or smaller, no-one is static.

Of course, there are other factors, history, traditional financial situation etc. but a club that's been in the top flight a long time isn't necessarily a big club (e.g. Wigan) and also a club that hasn't been in the top flight for quite a while can be a big club (Leeds, SW etc.). These other factors may be used when comparing two clubs with similar crowds (i.e. which is bigger, Leeds or SW, Liverpool or Man City) - not that there's necessarily a conclusion to be drawn of course!

For now, BHA are a big Championship club (not the biggest, despite the crowds), certainly a lot bigger than we have been for the past 30 years. We would be an small/medium sized club in the PL and so on.

I agree with the sentiment of the OPs post, being a big (or otherwise) club is one thing, being snobbish towards other clubs (or players not choosing BHA) is a bit pathetic.

The club attracts players (in the very recent past) due to the *new* identity (as a progressive club, passing style football etc.) rather than because of the size or silly wage offers. I would rather the club attract players based on the style of football and how the club is run rather than simply because it's a "big" club.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
We're not so big now that Bigbelly has become 'Normous Nige :smile:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I endlessly see comments from Brighton fans like 'why would that player choose that club over us' or 'we should be signing better players then that'. Have our fans just been spoilt by the last few years? do some fans believe we have a god given right to be in the EPL? we don't have a massive budget and we have the FFP to content with as well, we are very lucky to have such a great ground and training ground to come. Some Brighton fans also come across as arrogant in the way they belittle other clubs (who Arguably have achieve more in the last 20 years then ourselves)

We went over budget last season chasing a dream a bit but i for one am more excited for this season ahead and i love the idea of younger players getting a run out with something to prove (something Gus wasn't willing to allow)

Rant Over

We are now the best-supported club outside the Prem. We finished 4th in the Championship last season, which indicates we have a very strong squad. We have an exciting young sought-after manager. We have the best chairman in our league. . We have the best stadium in the Championship. Some still need to lose their small club mentality. Rant over.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Rant Over

You lost any credibility when you said EPL. I stopped reading at that point.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
We are now the best-supported club outside the Prem. We finished 4th in the Championship last season, which indicates we have a very strong squad. We have an exciting young sought-after manager. We have the best chairman in our league. . We have the best stadium in the Championship. Some still need to lose their small club mentality. Rant over.

I was about to write something similar but you've summed it up perfectly!

tube train

Sep 10, 2009
I apologise about the EPL comment.. that was called rushing during my lunch

and i think we are a developing club and slowly getting time as each season goes on

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Majority in our league view us as a small club . Same as reading when they moved from elm park .

Perceptions take years

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here