Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FFP

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Am I right in thinking the chairman isn't allowed to write off any debt with his own money ?

If so could this be got round by one of his companies signing a sponsorship deal, which could effectively reduce any losses ?

Am not referring specifically to Brighton but to all clubs.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Am I right in thinking the chairman isn't allowed to write off any debt with his own money ?

your thinking maybe wrong, Fayed recently converted debt to shares before selling Fulham.

as above with ManCity, though you need to show the sponsorship deal is "commerical" ie realistic (nothing to stop it being renegotiated upwards every couple of years imo)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Potential dodges will be investigated on a case by case basis.

Still reckon FFP won't survive a legal challenge if it comes to that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Why would a competition rule which is voted in by the FL clubs not survive in your opinion?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I thought the premier league were taking them to court to stop it happening at all

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I thought the premier league were taking them to court to stop it happening at all

Who is taking the Premier League to court?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Leicester seem to be getting rid of their high earners as FFP kicks in for them. May be a case of some teams like us and Leicester taking it seriously, others burying their heads in the sand and others going for the Prem and pay the fines for not complying

Think Leicester and 'Boro are both completely skint from going all out for promotion and failing so would have had to cut costs anyway. 'Boro have lost their parachute payments now haven't they?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I get the impression there are a lot of possible ways to get around it - although I think ultimately clubs want to be run sensibly so they'll try to do things correctly. If someone wants to find ways to get around the rules though I'm sure it'll be possible.

I mean, whats to stop Tony Bloom from buying every unsold ticket minutes before kick off, or buying a £100,000 mug from the club shop etc. Perhaps extreme examples but you'd have thought this sort of thing could happen in a more subtle way.

monkeymz

Sep 27, 2011
form what i gather about ffp clubs are limited to 60% of there income is allowed on players wages, and if there debts are more than 2 million in a season they can face fines or points deduction,as siad above owners are not allowed to put money in to caver debts.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Potential dodges will be investigated on a case by case basis.

On what grounds? I'm thought that the whole thing was voted for by the members of the football league (the clubs)? Granted there was pressure from the premier league but not sure how they can challenge something they voted for

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
On what grounds? I'm thought that the whole thing was voted for by the members of the football league (the clubs)? Granted there was pressure from the premier league but not sure how they can challenge something they voted for

This. Otherwise every single football league rule could/would be challenged. This is a FL competition rule which everyone voted on.

Oct 25, 2003
form what i gather about ffp clubs are limited to 60% of there income is allowed on players wages, and if there debts are more than 2 million in a season they can face fines or points deduction,as siad above owners are not allowed to put money in to caver debts.

some clubs are in serious trouble if it's 60%....some clubs were over 100% last season

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I mean, whats to stop Tony Bloom from buying every unsold ticket minutes before kick off, or buying a £100,000 mug from the club shop etc. Perhaps extreme examples but you'd have thought this sort of thing could happen in a more subtle way.

aye, theres alot of scope for sales to be manipulated, though im not sure it would raise the sort of short falls some clubs have. We need to bear in mind that the clubs sort of asked for it to curtail the spending race, so i think its in their own interests to comply.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
aye, theres alot of scope for sales to be manipulated, though im not sure it would raise the sort of short falls some clubs have. We need to bear in mind that the clubs sort of asked for it to curtail the spending race, so i think its in their own interests to comply.

I agree that it's in their interests, but in the first couple of seasons at least I bet there will be loopholes that could be exploited. I doubt that BHA will exploit them which will put us at a disadvantage in the short term to those that do and also those that ignore them in the hope of a PL spot. Medium/long term we'll be in a far better position than them, but we might have to put up with a couple of seasons of out of top 6 finishes before FFP is bedded in properly and the fines/transfer embargoes take effect. I hope that we do get a P/O spot this season, but it'll be an uphill battle competing with parachute payments and those that exploit/ignore FFP (perhaps as many as 10 clubs in total?)....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here