Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rendition of You'll never Walk Alone

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Yesterday at the MCG the rendition of You'll Never Walk Alone being described as one of the greatest moments in Australian sport. I saw it and it really was fantastic.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It makes me cringe tbh so many teams across the works from all different sports sing it now and I may sound like a grumpy bugger but it irritates the hell out of me :bla:

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
It makes me cringe tbh so many teams across the works from all different sports sing it now and I may sound like a grumpy bugger but it irritates the hell out of me :bla:

How can it irritate you, its footballing heritage and passion in an absolute anthem of a song. Its footballs equivalent to Rugbys great anthem swing low. But each to there own.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011

Did you see it? These were all Liverpool fans from across Australia, New Zealand, including a good many scousers that live in Oz. My son was there and he said it was unbelievable.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Unreal. Have you watched the video? Quite how it makes someone 'cringe' is beyond me.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I wouldn't say it makes me cringe, but I do find it all a bit maudlin.

kano

Jun 17, 2011
They need to learn to sing it properly.

1. Forget 90% of the words der der der der derrr derrr deeerr is fine untill the good bit.

2. Spoil the 'good bit' by clapping too fast and watch it all fall apart into polite applause.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

A lot of teams in England used to sing it including ourselves. Don't like it myself.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
"You'll Never Walk Alone" is a show tune from the 1945 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical Carousel. In the second act of the musical, Nettie Fowler, the cousin of the female protagonist Julie Jordan, sings "You'll Never Walk Alone" to comfort and encourage Julie when her husband, Billy Bigelow, the male lead, kills himself to avoid capture during a failed robbery. [Source: wikip]

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

How very odd.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I wouldn't say it makes me cringe, but I do find it all a bit maudlin.
This.

"You'll NEVER walk alone" indeed. Spot on, it's just that we are 13,000 miles away.

Actually, when I put it that way, it does make me cringe afterall.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Whether you like the song or not nobody can deny that was an impressive rendition. It does help when people know the words to their clubs song...

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Agree, but it was for a Liverpool game in this case.

For Brighton fans of a certain age it is ironic this song gets slagged off when it used to be sung regularly several times a game at The Goldstone with the blue and white scarves aloft and at all other football grounds around the country.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I knew I'd be going against the grain and some may find it odd, I just think its been done to death and overdone by hundreds of different clubs fair enough if it was a Liverpool game though tbf I didn't know but I remember someone posting a video of Celtic fans singing it I just think its been done to death and has lost a bit of its 'meaning'

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I think that is fantastic.

I know not everyone on here has a lot of time for Celtic (which we don't need to argue about now) but this is always my favourite memory of You'll Never Walk Alone, against Barcelona in the Europa League in 2004, which was the day of the Madrid bombings that morning and UEFA had insisted the game go ahead (I know there's no love lost between the Catalans and Madridistas but obviously a lot of Barca's Spanish players had connections to there etc).

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
95% of Australian fans support 5% of English teams.

Would have been the first time most of those plastics had a chance to sing the song at a Pool match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here