Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OG's Starting Eleven

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
This was the line up at Crawley last night

Albion: (4-3-3) Kuszczak (Brezovan 45); Calderon (Upson 66) El-Abd, Dunk (Greer 66), Chicksen (Maksimenko 66); Ince (Orlandi 66), Crofts (Dickenson 89),
Forster-Caskey (Bridcutt 66); LuaLua (Buckley 66), Barker (Ulloa 66), March (Barnes 45 (Richards 89).

Does this mean that OG's already pencilled in Upson, Greer, Maksimenko, Orlandi, Bridcutt, Buckley and Ulloa for his starting 11? Still trying to decide between
March and Barnes? Four spots up for grabs if so....

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Quite possibly, he has his preferred line up and areas he wants to improve. I'm sure there's time for a few to work their way into his plans

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Why does bringing them all on as subs in as friendly indicate they're in his starting eleven?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Why does bringing them all on as subs in as friendly indicate they're in his starting eleven?

Agree, baffling logic. I'd like to think he has at least 14/15 that he considers good enough for starting XI switching on rotation/tactically depending on opposition

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Personally I think all that the friendlies will have shown him so far is that he is some sandwiches, a quiche and lashings of ginger beer short of even a half decent picnic.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm also confused why playing (and sometimes starting) in preseason and getting squad numbers means the younger players are practically guaranteed to feature a lot next year, it happened last season, too. March, oatway, sampayo, kasim, agdestein all featured preseason last year and as far as I know they had squad numbers. By all means hope/expect that Oscar will want to bring them throu, but preseason appearances and squad numbers don't mean as much as some are suggesting. Especially when you look at Nathan jones's comments in the argus
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb...tt_is_peaking_at_right_time_for_big_kick_off/

Jones has also urged Albion’s youngsters to continue pressing their claims after striker George Barker opened the scoring in their fourth friendly win out of four at the Broadfield Stadium.

He said: "George has been looking quite lively in training. A few of the youngsters now need to step up as well, because we want the development squad to produce a few players and push the players we’ve got.

"We’ve got a strong squad, we are looking to add, but it’s good for young players like Georgie and (Jake) Forster-Caskey to show they might be ready."​

Nickols4

May 25, 2011
Dorking, Surrey.
Based on what I saw last night, and assuming everyone will be fit come next Saturday, I predict/hope OG's starting XI at Leeds will be:

Kuszczak

Calderon
Greer
Upson
Bruno

Bridcutt
Crofts
Orlandi

Lua Lua
Ulloa
Buckley

Not bad at all that.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Based on what I saw last night, and assuming everyone will be fit come next Saturday, I predict/hope OG's starting XI at Leeds will be:

Kuszczak

Calderon
Greer
Upson
Bruno

Bridcutt
Crofts
Orlandi

Lua Lua
Ulloa
Buckley

Not bad at all that.

I think it'll be that but Barnes in for LuaLua. Definitely looks like Orlandi will be given more prominence as the main attacking threat from midfield.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Kuszczak

Calderon
Greer
Upson
Bruno

Bridcutt
Crofts
Orlandi

Lua Lua
Ulloa
Buckley

Not bad at all that.

Looks about right with no new faces. Assume you mean Bruno at rightback, and Inigo at left.

Nickols4

May 25, 2011
Dorking, Surrey.
Yeah, Calde at LB (providing no-one is brought in for that position before next week). Likewise Crofts in midfield, I imagine he would be the one to miss out if a CM signs in time. Seems that OG likes the idea of Orlandi advanced in behind Leo.

Could well be Barnes for KLL aswell, although I have to say I thought Lua Lua looked excellent last night.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Could well be Barnes for KLL aswell, although I have to say I thought Lua Lua looked excellent last night.

We know how good LuaLua looks against League One sides - he was phenomenal in League One. He is generally nowhere near as effective in the Championship. Really hope for a better season for him this season though.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Chicksen looked quick and confident on the ball at LB last night. Linked well with KLL.

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
One of the few things that Gus did well tactically as a near plan B was to use KLL as an impact sub. Just as the opposition defence tire, the last things they wanted to see was KLL down the wing and at them.

I think that at least one of the youngsters will be in and a couple will be on the bench.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Given how close the Norwich game is to the first competitive game, I'm expecting the starting XI vs Villareal to be very similar to the team for Leeds, with everyone else having a chance to force their way in when the come on in that game and start vs Norwich

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
This was the line up at Crawley last night

Albion: (4-3-3) Kuszczak (Brezovan 45); Calderon (Upson 66) El-Abd, Dunk (Greer 66), Chicksen (Maksimenko 66); Ince (Orlandi 66), Crofts (Dickenson 89),
Forster-Caskey (Bridcutt 66); LuaLua (Buckley 66), Barker (Ulloa 66), March (Barnes 45 (Richards 89).

Does this mean that OG's already pencilled in Upson, Greer, Maksimenko, Orlandi, Bridcutt, Buckley and Ulloa for his starting 11? Still trying to decide between
March and Barnes? Four spots up for grabs if so....

In answer to your question, who started, who came on, who came off ... none of it means a thing in relation to who starts against Leeds.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
Granted Calderon is a club idol at the minute, however, he got found out against Palace, Zaha tore him a new ass hole. I've seen many good fullbacks in my time and I recognise a tactically and defensively inept player when I see one. There must be better options out there for us?

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Granted Calderon is a club idol at the minute, however, he got found out against Palace, Zaha tore him a new ass hole. I've seen many good fullbacks in my time and I recognise a tactically and defensively inept player when I see one. There must be better options out there for us?

That's not actually true is it. Bridge was at fault for the first and Greer for the second.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here