Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yorkshire Three Peaks

Stumpy Tim

Has anyone on here done the Yorkshire Three Peaks? I did it yesterday, and it was the hardest thing I've ever done - including the London marathon. Interested to hear other people's experiences of it

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Well done. Magnificent views.

Did the Yorkshire 3 Peaks many years ago as part of walking the Pennine Way. Was very enjoyable although I recall we made the mistake of lingering over a liquid pub lunch which made the afternoon more of a challenge.

I can recommend you trying The other Three Peaks (Snowdon, Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis), did them in under 20 hours, including driving time. Great fun.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
Well done. Magnificent views.

Did the Yorkshire 3 Peaks many years ago as part of walking the Pennine Way. Was very enjoyable although I recall we made the mistake of lingering over a liquid pub lunch which made the afternoon more of a challenge.

I can recommend you trying The other Three Peaks (Snowdon, Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis), did them in under 20 hours, including driving time. Great fun.

Far more,fun in 3 days so you can really enjoy the walks and views, loved them but all the driving and walking up one in the dark would miss the point surely!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
At the risk of sounding stupid, were you walking or running?

I've got a small group of keen rambling friends and we are gradually working our way through the national trails.

I can heartily recommend Offa's Dyke if you have a week to spare.

Stumpy Tim

I was walking for the National Children's Hospital. Unfortunately we got hit with a huge thunderstorm ten minutes into the walk. Absolutely soaked for 10.5 hours. Stunning scenery, but bloody difficult. Coming down Whernside was the most painful hour of my life

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Has anyone on here done the Yorkshire Three Peaks? I did it yesterday, and it was the hardest thing I've ever done - including the London marathon. Interested to hear other people's experiences of it

How long ago did you do the marathon? You're getting on a bit these days don't forget.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Far more,fun in 3 days so you can really enjoy the walks and views, loved them but all the driving and walking up one in the dark would miss the point surely!

I agree and as you suggest would be good to do them again over 3 days, which would also suit my age and fitness. Our original effort was years ago when we were all a bit leaner and a lot fitter and as part of the annual Challenge event, so we were out to set a decent time. Had the benefit of a non-climbing driver in a support minibus which meant we could focus on the climbing. We started on Snowdon at 4pm but made too good a time the downside of which meant we started Scafell at 2am and ascending the summit rock field was quite hairy in the dark, wet and mist. Later the top 500' of Ben Nevis was snowy and a misty 'white out', so no view anyway. This was midsummer, supposedly with optimum daylight but even so conditions were quite marginal at times so no incentive to hang around, but very satisfying. A curious experience because we did it between work shifts and were back home in Brighton within 48 hours of leaving - in spite of doing another Lake District fell on the way home because we still had spare energy to burn!

The Yorkshire Three Peaks were undertaken at a far more leisurely pace, but quite do-able in a day.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
True - that was 13 years ago. However, it's quite easy to train for a marathon. Each peak is three times the size of the largest peak in Sussex - and the terrain is so varied. It's incredibly difficult.

Did you climb Whernside first or last?

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
True - that was 13 years ago. However, it's quite easy to train for a marathon. Each peak is three times the size of the largest peak in Sussex - and the terrain is so varied. It's incredibly difficult.

I'm sure I wouldn't struggle with it at all.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
At the risk of sounding stupid, were you walking or running?

I've got a small group of keen rambling friends and we are gradually working our way through the national trails.

I can heartily recommend Offa's Dyke if you have a week to spare.

Really good things to do aren't they - Did the Devon coast to coast last year, planning to the daddy coast to coast next year. Tough and rewarding without being particular painful.....

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Not done it, but I think people some time underestimate the impact of elevation and tricky terrain has on you.....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here