Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

water meters,how does that affect you?

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
I had them round to fit a water meter last week, only to be told that they can't cos my water mains is in an inconvenient position for them (too high up or low down). Will cost an extra £100 or so to get a plumber in to sort it before I can ask them back.

My bill is £1200 pa and they reckoned I would save loads.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Our predicted bill year £1300 a year,WINNERS OR LOSERS????

Winners. We were forced to change last year. Our Kids have left home. Our costs have halved.

Sorry Rev, didn't realise it was you. I'll Translate......

WINNERS. WE WERE FORCED TO CHANGE LAST YEAR. OUR KIDS HAVE LEFT HOME. OUR COSTS HAVE HALVED. :moo: :blush: Not forgetting :facepalm:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I wish we had a meter it would save me a fortune. But as I get my water from South-East water they won't pay to fit one.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Definately winners, had a water meter fitted a few years ago, never looked back.. Only the wife and l at home, have baths not showers, saving loadsamoney.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Definately winners, had a water meter fitted a few years ago, never looked back.. Only the wife and l at home, have baths not showers, saving loadsamoney.

You surely mean having showers instead of baths saves you money? On water and gas/electric.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Just had our first bill/estimate since meter fitted, a slight rise is predicted, doh! Two adults in a family home so we were rather surprised and rang Southern Water. Very helpful chap told us how to check for leaks, confirmed that our reading and that of our neighbours had not been confused (can happen apparently) and then proceeded to ask about our water usage.

Showers not baths is good, too long in power shower is bad, not using eco cycles on dishwasher and washing machine is bad, running sprinkler twice a week for three hours is very bad! Seems our behaviour is going to change somewhat.

For those already careful with what is used I think it will cheaper, for others like this household either the bills will rise or habits will change.

PS Where are the thunderstorms? My grass, and waterbutts need rain, now!

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I don't know anyone with a family who are saving money...

when you consider that we are about to have Fracking introduced in Sussex, which uses 13 million gallons of water PER DAY, it makes you realise just how much you are being ripped off to use a natural resource.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
it makes you realise just how much you are being ripped off to use a natural resource.

Help yourself to water from the nearest river, it's completely free.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I wish we had a meter it would save me a fortune. But as I get my water from South-East water they won't pay to fit one.
At Hailsham we were made to go on meters....think it was an area they used as an experiment on water usage. Also with South-East water...but Southern for the drainage,which cost more than the supply.
Do have a bath everyday...yes,some say shower is cheaper...but with a bath leave the plug in and use the (Grey) water to flush loo,water garden,wash car.
The only thing I have found on water meter is they do not always read the meter before sending a bill...had quite a few bills now and the meter cover has not been raised in over a year,it is covered over by grass and I put a silicon seal on it and it has not been disturbed. Seeing that Southern base your bill on South East figures you could be way out on usage. Have found i8t cheaper overall though.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Just had our first review after meter was installed last year. They've given us back two hundred quid and dropped our DD as required. There's only two of us in a three bed house so they obviously over estimated, also helps that we've got showers at work that I use most days to save on using the water and heating at home.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
When looking at water usage there is a good thing on the Thames Water website that shows you the amount you are using and how to cut down.

For anyone in the Thames region they provide some water saving devices free of charge. I am sure other water companies will as well if you call them as there is an OFWAT initiative on water saving

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't know anyone with a family who are saving money...

when you consider that we are about to have Fracking introduced in Sussex, which uses 13 million gallons of water PER DAY, it makes you realise just how much you are being ripped off to use a natural resource.

Virtually everything you use was a natural resource at one point but between the time it was harvested/mined/fished or whatever was done to extract it and when it gets to the end consumer there are a lot of processes applied to it.

Help yourself to water from the nearest river, it's completely free.

I think you find it is illegal to extract water for domestic use (and probably other reasons) from rivers without permission from the environment agency!!!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I had them round to fit a water meter last week, only to be told that they can't cos my water mains is in an inconvenient position for them (too high up or low down). Will cost an extra £100 or so to get a plumber in to sort it before I can ask them back.

My bill is £1200 pa and they reckoned I would save loads.

I was paying £78 per month for a 4 bed detached large house. I now pay £16, so works for me.

I would need to fill an Olympic size swimming pool to get back to what I was paying before the meter.

Works well for me, I now pay for what I and the Wife use and don't have to subsidise large Families.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here